Has shaving ever become boring for you?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Engblom, Aug 3, 2018.

1. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Not boring, but sometimes routine. I like to find bargains, but I already have too much product.

I enjoyed posting pictures on the SOTD until I dropped a favorite DE and BROKE IT, posing it.
    :angry021:

I enjoyed reading this website, pretty much daily, until my computer died. :angry019:

So, I took a long break, and just enjoyed shaving.

This is still the best Shave Forum and online shaving community, IMHO. :)

RaZorBurn123, Jayaruh, Ron R and 5 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Only in the past when I was using carts.

RaZorBurn123, Redrock and brit like this.
  3. Jarvis

Jarvis Active Member

For me shaving has become a routine that I enjoy and look forward to every minting. I make time to shave every day no matter how busy I am.

4. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

This succinctly sums up how I feel about shaving these days. Everything just fell into place and suddenly I lost interest. I don't look forward to shaving as much as I used to and I can't remember the last time that I made a shaving-related purchase. However, I have a different attitude towards it compared to when I was using cheap, disposable cartridges. I don't dread it and now I'm clean shaven on most days.

Shaving has never been my main hobby so I didn't need to find something else to occupy my time when the obsession subsided. I do enjoy this community though and I like checking in every now and then. Only so much one can discuss the routine when they aren't buying new gear anymore but I like seeing familiar posters and catching up with anything new that I might have missed.

Shaver X, Engblom and brit like this.
  5. RandySP

RandySP Member

I try to add things to my list, but I'm on a stage that I think I really don't need another soap.

But I can't stop. I am obsessed with wet shaving. I will keep trying things for science only!

Now... Let me see some brushes I have in mind!

brit, Redrock and Demidog like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Before I rediscovered traditional shaving it was definitely boring. The new sport of wet shaving continues to keep my interest. I am still finding old stuff to spend my money on.

Shaver X, brit, Redrock and 1 other person like this.
  7. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

When the styptic pencil won't work try "My Nick is Sealed". It is a roll on and it works the best I have ever found. Really stops weeping and bleeding nicks, from shaving, and immediately and without much sting. About a year ago I had a man/installer cut his hand fairly badly on a stainless steel kitchen sink removal and he was on blood thinners. Scared the heck out of me he was bleeding so profusely . But, I had a bleeding stopper powder in the medicine cabinet called "WoudSeal" The package contains 4 single use Applications. And, it worked for the guy and kept him out of the Emergency Room.

Shaver X, brit and Redrock like this.
  8. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Yes it has. I have tried so much of everything and zeroed in on what I like in every category so the novelty has ended. Even wet shaving has become a daily chore, BUT wet shaving is still so superior to carts. And I still enjoy it as a nessesary chore so much more than carts I can’t even explain it.

9. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

No way. With a nice collection of brushes, razors, and soaps, it is as good as ever each day.:happy093:

10. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

We are all praying for you.:sad024:

RaZorBurn123, Shaver X and brit like this.
  11. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Ha ha ha. That's funny (although I have no problem with whatever choice each person makes in their shaving).

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

RaZorBurn123, Redrock and brit like this.
  12. ChiefBoatsRet

ChiefBoatsRet New Member

I t is a daily thing that I need to do, not a hobby. I changed from carts to DE for all the reasons we all did. I have a Gillette blue tip, Gillette Twinjector, BlackHawk 2 & Focus R-48 Dynamic. They all give great comfortable, bloodless, non irritation shaves. That is all I can ask for. Bored may not be the right word, not being tuned in to the zen of wet shaving would be better..
    I enjoy reading the forums to keep up on things but never got the bug to deep dive into hardware & software aquisition

13. brit

brit in a box

i love the quality shaves i get now. i also like being involved on this forum..i still check out ebay for the odd deals and cases etc..garage sales, antique shops for stuff in the wild..i have traded up many of my razors and i am on a more fine tuned path now instead of buying everything..may get a new modern razor (the karve cb ) in the future and plod along..i have a few friends that try stuff as well so nothing goes to waste..bored no,reigned in the ad demons yes...mostly..

14. tonyav214

tonyav214 Member

Time to fine tune. It helps to categorize your equipment. Rotate your stock, start collecting and using vintage equipment. Re-visit your sources. Don’t get bored, get busy!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  15. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I just shaved off my beard I've worn since October 1. Prior to that I had a goatee for probably the last 15 years mostly. I'm really enjoying the results of a clean comfortable full shave!

RaZorBurn123, brit and Frijolero like this.
  16. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

In October 2018, I bought my first traditional straight razor and I am not bored with shaving. In fact, I bought 3 more straight razors because I enjoy my shaves. Prior to October 2018, I never found shaving boring. To me, it is a grooming necessity that needs to be done. I also am sly, so how boring can it be to shave the dome?

RaZorBurn123, brit and Frijolero like this.
  17. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

I'm always looking to get lost in the shave for 10 minutes or so in the morning. Getting a perfect lather and a BBS shave every time takes a little zen-like concentration. The scent of a good soap can change the mood too. It may be routine, but doing something/anything well is a joy. Not "boring".

Is meditation boring?

Frijolero, brit and Trigger like this.
  18. tonyav214

tonyav214 Member

Too many related interests to be bored. I’ll be 70 soon. Been regularly shaving since 18. Still going strong. Bored? Not hardly!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frijolero, Trigger and brit like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

i almost started a NB-19. lasted maybe 2 weeks..decided to fully embrace this hobby,fun cheap and cheerful compared to many of my past hobbies..bored ? ,no . obsessed ? maybe, enjoying it ? absolutely..

Frijolero, Paul Turner and Trigger like this.
  20. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Not boring, but an enjoyable routine. I've got my go-to razor and blade. Some nice brushes to choose from and enough soap and cream to explore the next few years. Still, I need to be careful not to let RAD kick in. Vintage razors still are dangerous! And I 'need' to restore a travel brush (maybe put a synthetic knot in it: safer for traveling). Oh, and honing gear. Stones, lapping film. And then develop some honing skills. So: I'm not bored!

brit likes this.