Basic question about straights

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lightcs1776, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

FYI 1 micron particle size is roughly equivalent to a 16k synthetic stone. You can get film all the way down .3 micron which I believe is equivalent to a 30k stone.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

So, I just ordered a wh100b kamisori shavette. My goal is to see how my straight compares to a "perfect" edge. It was an unbeatable price with free shipping. Now, I just hope my wife thinks it is a good deal too. She didn't seem too thrilled with the Fatip open comb I purchased a couple weeks ago.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  3. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

That's a good plan, but I did it in reverse with a Feather folding SS.

I use the films to hone and just got a Thuringian to touch up. I love making and using slurry....LOL. It's like playing in the mud.

4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    There is "Magic in the Mud" :D

5. Chuck Naill

When I was starting I used a Feather SS folding . I thought the blades were dull because of the tugging I experienced. Of course, we all know Artist Club blades are not dull. It was me.

mrchick, Edison Carter and Keithmax like this.
  6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

You don’t seem dull

Edison Carter likes this.
  7. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Just to update, I shaved with the wh100b shavette this morning. This was my first shave with it, using Feather pro-guard blades. The shave was excellent. The only issue was a small nick by my Adam's apple. I ended up with a great shave. My next step is to work on properly honing my straight razor, while working on my technique using the shavette.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Edison Carter, mrchick and DaltonGang like this.
  8. Chuck Naill

I cannot say enough good things about a 3m film progression from one new honer to another. I start with 30 mu and proceed to 12, 9, 3, 1, .3, .1 microns. Lately I have been ending on the 3 micron sheet and finishing on a Thuringian I purchased.