Those old Gillette blade dispensers could they damage a blade when installing a blade?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ron R, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Do you ever wonder how good the blade dispensers were from keeping a blade from getting damaged? I have this old steel one glued to my Gillette designated only wooden razor rack.
    Gillette needed something to compete against the Schick injector system and they came up with this dispenser which was a genius idea to build around a none injector system they lacked.
    Did they have a built in protection to to avoid glancing the blade inside??
    I have never used a dispenser like this shown because they are rare to find, there does not seem to be very much wiggle room not to glance off the edges of the dispenser when blade being withdrawn.
    steel blade dispensers (2).jpg

2. brit

brit in a box

i have seen threads where the cover is removed to reload them..

Ron R and RyX like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've picked up a couple but not tried the remaining blades. Gillette used that system of blade dispenser for many years. It's not much different from several still on the market. Schicks injector platform can also damage a blade when installing a fresh one. It doesn't bother me to unwrap a paper covered blade, and glue spots don't cause much concern in my DE razors.

4. brit

brit in a box

all my blades are wrapped in paper.. with glue dots..my fingers struggle a little unfolding them sometimes so i use a little knife to get under the folds.. dots on the razor don t bother me...i clean my razors frequently..

5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

6. brit

brit in a box

i have never used blades that came in the dispensers due to age.. i may try them if dispenser is a sealed one..

RyX and Ron R like this.
  7. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I would imagine it is the same system as is currently in place now for the "personna" house blades in CVS, freds.... etc.
    If it actually did any damage, it is such a small amount that I would imagine you would have a hard time telling g the difference. Plus, the blade dispensers I would think would be made of a softer metal then the steel blade are. Shouldnt do much, if any damage.

Frijolero, RyX, Ron R and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

RyX, brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  9. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Ron, I like your simple but effective razor stand. I made something similar out of a piece of 2 inch by 2 inch cedar. I bored 9/16 holes and it works great. Of course mine only has one row but it will hold 9 razors. Is yours made from a 4x4. Thanks, Danny

RyX, Ron R and brit like this.
  10. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Yes it's a 4X4 and with 9/16" holes X 6 inches long( left over decking material), I now have 3 of them now, one for Gillette's, one for Gems and last one for my favorites I really enjoy. The one's that don't make the cut go into storage.:rofl:

RyX, brit and BlaydRunner like this.
  11. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I have a few in storage but I do like looking at the "pretty" ones on the shelf in the bathroom. Great job on the holder.
    -----
    Danny

Ron R, RyX and brit like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I was born before Gillette introduced the blade dispenser and put notches on their TTO razors, so when I started shaving, everyone used the dispensers even Schick DEs. I reload some of my dispensers. I have never ruined a blade with one though.

Ron R, RyX, wchnu and 2 others like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

ASR and Gillette had competing systems, patented around the same time.ASR patented dispenser (1948) was spring loaded. Gillette also patented a spring loaded design but I don't see examples in production.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    AGHisBBS, Ron R, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Gem still makes spring loaded dispensers.

And Ive reloaded vintage gillette dispensers. I've never noticed much, if any blade deterioration from dispensers. Paper wrapped blades seem to be the ones that deteriorate first.

Ron R, Frijolero, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Here's the Gillette patent incorporating s leaf spring/feed slider mechanism. I haven't seen one.
    [​IMG]

brit, AGHisBBS, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    brit, AGHisBBS, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Great historical material @jmudrick and how you find this is amazing. I would have to look for hours to find this material and throw my hands up(white flag alternative;)).
    It seems one company comes out with a good idea or product the other competitors are not far behind in the quest for the consumer approval.
    Have some great shaves!

brit and RyX like this.
  18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Very nice site you have @Jayaruh , I went to _bay to see if there is any dispensers like what you have(nothing) but my observation was for dispensers they are now selling more than the razors which seems a bit bizzar IMO.
    (update)Just found out in the States you can still buy the dispensers from Walmart & a few drug stores with new blades so the vintage dispenser lives on, Canada not so easy to find the new version!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Have some great shaves, hope your leg is feeling a little better from your fall.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    brit, Jayaruh and RyX like this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The keen observer will note this one was the work of the same Joseph Muros who first conceived the Toggle. That's often how I stumble upon stuff as the same names csn show up often.

20. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

AGHisBBS, RyX and Ron R like this.