FAMEX Redux

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Nov 26, 2018.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Great eye. My wife picked this handle out. It was much better than my choice.

I think I will throw it on the lathe and do a bit of finessing up there. I might try to draw out a longer curve and a short taper.

Also, glad you are happy with the cap. I should have polished up the pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BBS and RyX like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Pins are fine, the plater can take care of that when they prep the parts. The tomx looks really sharp with that handle even if you left the shoulder flat in that one spot. Not only is it functional but it is also a work of art, something you don't see in modern razors.

brit and RyX like this.
  3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

[​IMG]
    Shave 2 even better than first shave. The handle is longer than I am used to. So just choking up a bit and I was good to go. I gave the handle a 1/4 turn after engagement. Smoother this time.

jimjo1031, jtspartan, brit and 5 others like this.
  4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

That is a stunning razor. PERFECT handle choice, Tom.

RyX and twhite like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

First run with the cap, razors works fine. Reminds me of shaving with a Cooper Monobilt, lot of blade feel but upon further inspection looks to be a negative angle for the blade which would explain the similarity to a Cooper. I just need to put in a shave with the other side of the cage. The more I look at it the more I lean towards the cage was supposed to be asymmetrical in the first place. It looks almost exactly like the Bohin base plate the way each side of the cage is curved from a side view.

RyX likes this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Ah HA!!!! My spies have been slacking I see. However..... love it! I use all types of razors. Not a brick offense at all.

A great idea!!

Beautiful! Great pick.

brit, RyX and twhite like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Used the other side of the cage same blade didn't tighten or loosen the handle from the last shave. Big difference in blade feel between the 2 sides. This side had less blade feel and in turn much milder on the face. The shave is as close if not a little closer than the other side and this is with the blade on this side having an extra shave on it making it less sharp than the other side.

The cap passed the QC test. Not that I didn't think it wouldn't but it is a due diligence thing. Off for plating it goes.

Thanks again twhite.

8. brit

brit in a box

very cool looking razor..

RyX likes this.
  9. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Tom, you always amaze me. Beautiful work!

twhite likes this.
  10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Now as I see ALL the pics....I want one!!

Tom, to get me lusting after a DE is no mean feat...If it was available....hmmm...I wonder....I'm thinking....maybe even the Fuzz-Meister might desire one aswell?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

twhite likes this.
  11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yes it is a sexy little thing.

12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Tom really needs to set up an Unobtanium Clinic for us. :innocent

twhite likes this.
  13. richgem

Some guys like the badonkadonk. :D
    Me... I'm all about the sleek bunny.

twhite likes this.
  14. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

What I really wish for is the ability to put these goodies into a small production.

Alas I have zero desire to be a businessman. I like inventing and machining.

RyX likes this.
  15. richgem

That certainly would be amazing and I'm sure you'd have an instant clientele here. But, I imagine the start up would be cost-prohibitive, even if you had the time and desire to start such a business. And that's to ignore what you'd probably have to sell (volume and price per unit) to make even a small profit.

twhite likes this.
  16. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

That’s so flipping cool, I want one!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twhite likes this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Maybe somebody out there can make these things for me.

RyX likes this.
  18. richgem

Hmmm.....Dear Santa.... since Amazon and eBay have taken over present making I have an idea for your idle elves.....

Seriously though, that would be amazing if it were possible to do at a reasonable price.

RyX likes this.
  19. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Amazing machine work. Looks great.

RyX likes this.
  20. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Hi Tom I have not forgotten our chat earlier just that things are real busy. I need to work o. Those drawings!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk