Razorock Manufacturing Defect ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by drnausheerp, Dec 4, 2018.

1. drnausheerp

drnausheerp Active Member

Hello,

I just landed my first Razorock , I got the game changer model. However on opening the 3 piece razor I noticed some metal shavings coming off.

Is this normal, has it happened to other Razorock users ?

IMG_20181204_105302711_1_19.jpg

RyX likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've no experience with the brand of razor, and most of mine are vintage rather than new. Having used tools and worked a variety of materials my guess is chaff from the machining process. It appeared when you disassembled the razor? If it's not the extra metal that should have been cleaned off after cutting threads on the top cap or in the handle, it could have been caused when the unit was screwed together the first time.

Got a magnifying glass? Easy to look at the male threads on the top cap. Check for damage at the tip. Harder to see down inside the handle. The photo makes it look like brass and that's a soft metal as compared to stainless steel.

I assume there's a guarantee / warranty of some sorts being a new razor. Cost as much to ship it back as the purchase price? I hope it's just filings from the manufacturing process!

Ron R likes this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Looking at the Picture, It indicates that some or all metal shavings came from the handle threaded area when they drill and tap the handle. Must of been overlooked by QC, those shavings are hard to remove even with high pressure air.

brit, drnausheerp and RyX like this.
  4. ShaneS

ShaneS Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    More than likely just remnants of machining that were not removed and not a defect. Clean out the handle threads and see how the razor assembles. If everything is clean and you feel grinding while you assemble it, then you may have a problem. My best guess is that it just needs to be cleaned and you’ll be good to go.

Boojum1, drnausheerp and RyX like this.
  5. drnausheerp

drnausheerp Active Member

There's no wobble when I load it, there doesn't seem to be any issues with it , atleast to the naked eye.

Will give this a test run and then get back on this.

RyX likes this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

They didn't clean the handle and blow or rinse/soak out the shavings after drilling and taping. I had the same issue with a handle I bought from them. Just make sure it tightens up correctly, when snug see if you can give it another 1/8 or 1/4 of a turn. Chances are they didn't clean threads either before plating this will help clean that too, you'll know for sure if it doesn't thread easily. You can chase the threads and clean them using a nut and bolt if you don't have a tap and die of the same size with some oil loosening and tightening it on the cap and handle a few times.

drnausheerp and RyX like this.
  7. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Nice razor....let us know how the test run goes.