Help Identifying Gold TTO

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Droo78, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

I won an auction for a gold TTO this morning. It was advertised as a "Vintage Gillette Super Speed DE Safety Razor TTO silver No date code 1948-1950." Although it is advertised as silver, I believe it appears gold. Either way, I'll take it for under $10. It looks like it just needs a good cleaning and polishing.

Pictures below. Please help me identify. Thanks!

Gold TTO 4.jpg Gold TTO 1.jpg Gold TTO 9.jpg Gold TTO 6.jpg Gold TTO 5.jpg Gold TTO 10.jpg Gold TTO 11.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

RyX, Droo78 and Jayaruh like this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

If it actually is gold it is a Milord. However my bet is that it is just a SuperSpeed and the photos were taken in bad lighting.

Jayaruh, Primotenore and Droo78 like this.
  4. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Linuxguile likes this.
  5. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thank you. It should arrive by Friday and I will be able to tell for sure. The lighting looks pretty ok though, and I hope the seller would not use a filter.

The seller's description says "PAT NOS ON PKG" but the pictures show "PAT NOS ON PACKAGE."

RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I agree. Pictures of razors in low light can appear to have a gold tint.

Droo78 and Linuxguile like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Same set but different razor, that one is an Aristocrat Jr not a Super Speed. Milords came with 3 nickel plated counterparts depending the year. The 40, 41 and 46 are gold washed Ranger Techs, the 47 in that picture is a gold washed Aristocrat Jr, 47 and ups with the notched center bar are gold washed 40s style Super Speeds. The 4th Milord variation was the Rocket style razor which far as I know they never sold a nickel plated counterpart.

This one if it was gold washed originally would be the 47-50 no date code 40s style Super Speed Milord and if not then a 47 - 50 NDC 40s style Super Speed. They are the same razor sans plating either way. It is hard to tell if that bad plating loss or originally gold washed. I'm leaning towards a a Super Speed with plating loss and brass showing through. Best way to tell is after cleaning look in the shaft of the handle and see if the plating is still intact in there.

RyX, Droo78 and Linuxguile like this.
  8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

brit, Droo78 and RyX like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

And that is also an Aristocrat Jr. The correct Super Speeds didn't have that rounded collar on the handle. A 47 Super Speed has the same head but the collar is different. They don't shave the same either, the difference is more than simply cosmetic.

gorgo2 and Droo78 like this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is what I mean on the 47 razors.

These are the two Super Speeds produced only in 47. The difference between the 2 are the safety bars, one is rounded the other creased across the middle.
    47ss1.jpg

Here is the 2nd variant of the Super Speed and Aristocrat Jr both produced only in 47. What they share in common is the style of head. The blade gap and exposure on each are different for each razor in turn making them different shavers.
    47ss3.jpg

Finally here is a side view so you can see the collar difference. Third one is the Aristocrat Jr, fourth is the 47 and up 40s style Super Speed Milord which is the razor in question if that was originally gold washed.
    47ss4.jpg

brit and Droo78 like this.
  11. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thank you. If the one I purchased turns out to be gold, I think it looks like the 4th razor pictured. If not, I am sure I will still enjoy it!

Amongst my razors, the only vintage TTO's I currently own are a 60 Flare Tip, 64 Flare Tip, 58 Fatboy and a 62 Slim. I have a 56 Red Tip on its way via the USPS. The only modern TTO I own is a Viking Chieftain (my first DE razor). Although it is a decent razor IMO, after using it for 2 years I felt like there had to be a razor that would better handle longer stubble when I went a few days without shaving; that led me to researching, buying and loving the vintages. Since then, I don't go a day without shaving if I can help it!

brit likes this.
  12. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

I didn't think to look specifically at the butterfly wings. Learn something new every day!

Linuxguile likes this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is the 4th one whether it be a Super Speed or Milord. Same razor different plating depending the set it was sold in. If you like the Slim or Fatboy above a 4 or 5 setting then you'll want to start looking into more aggressive razors than all those. In that case in the budget price aka $25 or less look into the new short or long comb 3pc razors since they would be the next step up from the Super Speeds. The Goodwills are also excellent shavers but not as easily obtainable and will cost more unless you find one misidentified. Gillette in the main the older the razors the more aggressive they are. My personal opinion a Goodwill 160 is one the best razors Gillette ever made once you learn to load the blade evenly with it. Not only that it is adjustable because the cap allows for multiple blade exposures when tightened down. More exposure allows the blade to cut closer simple as that.

Droo78 and Linuxguile like this.
  14. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

I definitely love my Fatboy. It was the 2nd vintage I bought (first was my Slim). Others I've used are pre and post war Tech's, GEM single edges and an old style open comb that I don't know what year (no serial number on the baseplate and it came with a ball end tech handle). I'm progressively learning the aggressiveness or mildness each has to offer. Looking forward to this razor in question and also the Red Tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linuxguile likes this.
  15. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone that replied to this thread to help me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit and Linuxguile like this.
  16. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Well, it arrived today and turned out to be silver. You all were right in assuming that fact.
    The razor is in great shape and currently soaking in a dish soap bath. I'll post pictures later.

Thanks again!

gorgo2 likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Indeed, the shave is different.

Droo78 likes this.
  18. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Damn bad lighting it is!

Linuxguile likes this.
  19. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member