GEM RAZOR MODELS

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ron R, Nov 8, 2018.

?

Pick the Gem you like shaving with, multiple choices allowed for different models!

1. Gem Lather catcher

26 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Gem Junior

27 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. Gem 1912 Damaskeene

34 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Gem Micro Matic clog proof

34 vote(s)
    32.4%
  5. Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle (flying wing)

28 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Gem Micro Matic Open comb

40 vote(s)
    38.1%
  7. Gem Push button

19 vote(s)
    18.1%
  8. Gem G- Bar

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  9. Gem Feather weight

21 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. Gem Contour

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

This might of been your issue with that razor? Easy fix!
    I examined my push button razor when I first received it and noticed that it did not clamp the top of the blade that well like other models I own and in fact there was a slight gap.
    Gem razor tighness issue1 (2).jpg
    Being a maintenance machinist and examined it closer I figured that the plastic push button with clearances from factory to make it slide at the back was possible worn after 70 years so I made a plastic shim (.015 thousands approx from a yogurt lid cut to fit the indent at back) to take up the looseness.
    Gem razor tighness issue1.2 (2).jpg

The final results are no looseness so less chatter of blade to make your shave better. Plastic shim will not get in the way of the shave and now you should be able to enjoy the razor once more. The Gem razor plastic push button is the "weakest link in the chain"(Metaphor) for this model. All the other models I have some kind of top pressure and with the shim added it also does in mine now. I left a visual shim on the razor blade photo if anyone wants to make some(make at least 6 for lost... and also have the 90 degree bend). Once the shim is in place, load blade and push button like you normally would and shim should stay in place as top cap clamps or pins the blade to base plate. Hope this helps folks who have this model, It is one of the nicest looking Gem razors I own IMO.
    Gem razor tighness issue1.3jpg (2).jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Terry, ordinaryshaver, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  2. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Out of the number of SE razors that I have my two favorites are the Micromatic OC' and the 1912's,

Ron R likes this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Some of the Gem razors that I own and I did some measurements and observations.
    Gem Featherweight:
    Blade Gap: .023 thousands of a inch(.58 mm)
    Weight:1 ounce (29 grams)
    Blade exposure: Positive, increases with steeper inclination of cap
    -Good blade securement and not much blade flex because of the good raised blade support machined posts on base plate lather ports to pinch the blade design!

Gem push button:
    Blade Gap: .023 thousands of a inch (.58 mm)
    Weight:1.56 ounces (45 grams)
    Blade exposure: positive, increases with steeper inclination of cap.
    -Good blade securement and not much blade flex because of the good raised blade support posts machined on the base plate lather ports to pinch the blade design!

Gem G bar :
    Blade Gap : .023 thousands of a inch (.58 mm)
    Weight: 2.1 ounces (60 grams)
    Blade exposure: Positive, increases with steeper inclination of cap.
    -Good blade securement and not much blade flex because of the good raised blade support posts machined on the base plate lather ports to pinch the blade design.
    4 high lighted points were the blade is pinched for good rigid blade support around the lather ports.
    Gem G bar blade support (2).jpg

Gem 1912:

Blade gap:.023 thousands of a inch (.58 mm)
    Weight : 2.4 ounces (68 grams)
    Blade exposure: positive and will definitely increase aggression with steeper inclination of cap with increase audio feedback from not as much blade support.
    -lots of blade flex because the lack of blade supports like in other later models.
    People who use this model mention a lot more audio feedback and that is from the lack of blade support is the main reason IMO.
    Folks really like using this model and enjoy the audio feed back.(the sound of scraping toast.:love029:)
    As the picture points out not much for blade support. Users mention it likes to sing and that contributes IMO.
    Gem 1912 no blade support (2).jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Terry, PLAla and Frijolero like this.
  4. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

As the 1912 is only a gap of 58mm what makes it more aggressive than a Lightweight or Pushbutton ? Could it be blade exposure or openness of comb.

This morning I switched from my silver tone MMOC with bumps to brass tone MMOC without bumps.. Put in a new blade and left out the shims, The shave was fantastic and more aggressive than the with bumps MMOC but smooth. I almost didn't need a second pass but I did pass and didn't need a touch up got a BBS.

What is the difference in blade gaps between the chrome MMOC with bumps and the brass MMOC without bumps?

Ron R likes this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Good Question and will further look into that tomorrow.
    I not sure yet why the gaps are very similar for those four Gem models (maybe the 1912 set a standard?). I will pull out my Andonstar 500 usb microscope tomorrow to see if the 1912 has positive blade exposure.
    The front blade keepers might be placed a little further ahead possibly?

6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

For the folks who have never used a Gem Micromatic or did not see a Operating pamphlet with your Gem razor.
    There are lots of You tube videos and forums that have nice photos or visual instructions, here is a photo of one if your curious.
    Gem instruction manual (2).jpg
    Gem procedure (2).jpg

Primotenore, PLAla and jmudrick like this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Some more follow up on your question about the GEM 1912 razor.
    WOW, The GEM 1912 is a beautiful razor in appearance but believe me that razor has to be understood before the shave begins IMO.
    I took out the Andonstar X500 usb microscope to see what was happening when I put a piece of credit card across the cap and guard with blade seated under some serious magnification , my observation became apparent to see that as the blade exposure becomes very serious as the razor becomes to a steeper inclination like ridding the guard.
    You were right about 1912 being more aggressive compared to the Gem Featherweight, push button or the G-bar that are built to hold that blade more rigid.
    The way to use the Gem 1912 is like very shallow approach like Gem suggests and slightly tilting to throttle the aggression as needed and should be fine. Getting to Steep a inclination is going to get a person into all kinds of nasty razor burn from scrapping the skin and nicks will increase IMO.
    The other models mentioned do have some positive blade exposure as the inclination becomes steeper and so the operator throttles his desired aggressiveness by tilting the cap, the cap holds the blade more rigid and they have less blade exposure. The Micromatics or some later models are superior in design to the 1912 because they are very rigid and weighted well IMO.
    The high lighted secondary cap bend area on the Gem 1912 is when you will start to feel some aggression or on a greater steeper inclination.
    Gem 1912 aggrisivesive spot (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg

8. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

My First GEM Flying Wing (G-Bar)

Just got this “gem” GEM today. Not minty, but fine for me.

Expecting a different shave from it compared to my only other SE, a 1912 model Ever Ready.

[​IMG]

PLAla, Ron R and Frijolero like this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I'm using my Gem G bar at the moment and used the Gem 1912 to compare the shave to the Gem G Bar. I will give a write up on the experience in a couple of days. I want to experience 5 different model of gems I have purchased and write my experiences with them for others to know if their thinking of purchasing one. The Gem G bar is a very nice attractive razor IMO like yours is. The Gem G bar had two variances in models when it came to the handle and yours is a little different than mine. Your model looks like a older model than mine, very nimble razor to handle and a joy IMO.
    Gem g bar difference to other g bar models (2).jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Droo78 likes this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

"Flying Wing" was used to describe the earlier Bullet Tip razor c.47-48.

11. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Yep, straight from the factory!!!
    And why aren't you a member across the street?
    Great looking razor! Can't wait to hear how it shaves!
    If you are interested, great stuff going on across the street as well . I have found the GEM razors like that are great at doing the shave the way the phamplet said to.

12. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

huh:scared003:

13. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

With knowledge like that, sounds like you would be a good fit .

14. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Ron R likes this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Very nice site with some serious effort but into it, I will be over when I get kicked off or booted off the 2 already forums I'm on. That is how I found TSD. You never know how my mind works at times!?
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    ordinaryshaver likes this.
  16. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I got to thinking about calling it that after I posted. Won't be the last time I'm wrong! I'll just have to get an actual Flying Wing next. The Flying Wing is a TTO, correct? Is the shave comparable? I assume similar.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  17. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

First shave with this GEM was great! No irritation and kept feeling the face for a while after the shave. I'm adding this to my rotation!

ordinaryshaver likes this.
  18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Gem experiences with 7 different models!

Gem G bar razor. Gem G-Bar (2).jpg

Weight: 60 grams(2.12 oz)
    Blade gap: .023 thousands of a inch (.58 mm)
    Blade exposure: Positive slightly
    Blade: Gem Personna stainless steel PTFE(very sharp blade, #1 & 2 shave could feel rough to some and then smooths out)
    Material: Head & Handle are made from non ferrous metal(Brass?)coating looks like Chrome or Nickel alloys.
    Overall handling: Good weight & good grip on handle, also easy to install blades with easy clean up afterwards.

-Good blade securement with four blade seats machined at the lather ports with a spring loaded cap that pushes blade forward into the front two blade keepers and enough pressure downwards to keep the blade safely held in place for a enjoyable shave we all want.

-Razor technique changes slightly compared to a standard Gillette razor , Shallow (ride the cap) angle of razor with light to neutral pressure with short strokes worked best for myself. Longer strokes of the razor did not work out for me.

-good razor for medium beard type like mine for a shave that should give a DFS>bbs with the Personna SS PTFE blade.

-possible daily driver for certain beard types, for my medium beard type the GEM G bar would be a good choice IMO. Most of my shaves WTG 1st pass ,2nd pass XTG & ATG 3rd pass with a clean up for 1 week were giving results of DFS>bbs. BBS can be had on the cheeks easy and along the neck line DFS > bbs with easy J hooking technique if a person desires. Buffing had no problems as the blade smoothed out IMO.

-some times XTG pass will help to knock the most stubble down around the chin area and then ATG pass was a lot smoother with no razor skipping.

- once you get your technique dialed in the Gem G bar is a joy to shave with IMO.
    Gem G bar.jpg
    Added GEM operating manual and a focus technique for folks new to the GEM or EVER READY razors.
    Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    gorgo2 and PLAla like this.
  19. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

That's the spirit! :happy088:

Yes, it's a TTO. Slightly heavier than the g bar, 70g vs 60g. It's basically a somewhat more domesticated version of its open-comb sibling. It may be slightly more efficient than the g bar, or maybe I just imagine that. I have used both but never side by side. I love all three flavors of the micromatic.

Ron R likes this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I put a new Personna SS PTFE(teflon) coated blade corked once into my mint Gem 1912(mine was MFG 1921>) and had one of my best shaves ever, this razor is almost 100yrs old will leave a lot of modern razors parked on the side lines when it comes to efficiency and not really over aggressive. Just a great close comfort shave with smoothness that is very good. I can see why they were in production for so long, A shave can not get any better IMO for my medium beard type with out removing the skin:). My favorite Schick E2 has just met its SE big brother when it comes to efficiency! Lets see how it is for a daily driver? When efficiency gets high I go to a 2 pass WTG 1st and ATG 2nd and clean up is all that was needed DFS>BBS.:eatdrink047:

Last edited: May 20, 2019