THE GILLETTE ARISTOCRAT

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Aug 15, 2018.

1. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

This is my Gillette Aristocrat (no date code)
    Shaves great and still looks good. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Boojum1, BBS and brit like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The 46/47 is not the best shave as far as closeness but close combined with ease of shave and smoothness with no irritation it is maybe one of the best in that regard. The 34/35 is very smooth and close shaver but not as easy to use and prone to nicks and cuts and bit more aggressive unlike the 46/47 which is 3pc tech like in how easy it is to use with almost no chance of nicks or cuts. I like both but for different reasons.

In the case of the new long comb it is a closer shave but not as smooth or easy to use like the 46/47 Aristocrat but nowhere as aggressive or irritating as the 47 or even 34/35 can be depending how you shave. These are all fine shavers but have different shave characteristics that hold true regardless of blade used.

Once you step over into the 47 and up notched versions that aggression level difference is like night and day to me anyways compared to the 46/47 and earlier versions. I will be revisiting that in the next few days and will see if I still agree with this statement.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    jtspartan and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

my 50 crat got used a fair bit when i got it,i remember a smooth efficient shave ,even with heavy growth. the unnotched mint set was destined to be a display piece because of its condition.however i have become an enthusiast and not a collector of static displays now..so to me it has to be used , albeit sparingly ,for me to keep it around. if the 46 unnotched is milder than the 50 then i will keep it in rotation,if its the same then it will fund the next razor i don t have, like a second gen british crat ..

jtspartan likes this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Another way of describing the 2 is like the difference between a 46 or earlier Ranger Tech vs a 47 and up notched 40s style super speed. You know you are shaving with 2 different razors when you put them to the face regardless how you like to shave or what blade you use. That is how it is with me for the 46 and earlier safety bar Aristocrats vs the 47 - 53 notched Aristocrats.

5. brit

brit in a box

that is awesome ,thank you . i will try a side by side comparison but i am not scientific and there would be variables..i can feel a difference between my 3rd gen flat plate brit crat and 4th gen diamond plate, but they look quite different and have different weights.the u.s crats other than the notch and slight handle differences appear /look quite similar..trick of the brain, looks different, is different..to me anyway..always like reading your research and learning the subtle differences between these fine razors..i am most grateful, gary

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Verdict is in on the 47 Aristocrat.
    47x2crat.jpg

The razor in question is the one on the left. As you can see what distinguishes this one from the common 46/47 Aristocrat is the crease in the safety bar.

This one falls on the mild side. The shave is at least as good as the 46/47 Aristocrat but there is one distinguishing characteristic that you know they are not the same razors. The 46/47 is an extremely smooth shaver, you don't know if it is cutting hair or not in some cases, the 47 you know it is cutting hair regardless of type of pass or stroke. Both outperform the 40/41 Regent Tech/Aristocrat.

The one on the right is slated for tomorrow's shave. If I was to predict how it shaves I would say just like the standard 47 and up notched versions of the Aristocrat.

brit likes this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

so one 46-7 has a crease on the safety bar and the 46 doesn t?

8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The 46 - 47 doesn't have a creased safety bar the 47 does. They both share the same non notched center bar. You can see the difference in the pictures.

brit likes this.
  9. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

IIRC, a similar change was made to the SuperSpeed around that time.

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Correct there is a total of 3 iterations of the 40s style Super Speed. The first two were produced only in 47 the third one with the notched center bar is either 47 or 48 - 53 depending when they exactly made that change. I'd have to do some research but I bet there is some article on the change in something like Popular Mechanics from either year.
    Check the previous or page before that for pictures. I own or have owned every variation of US Gillette from this time period.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  11. brit

brit in a box

ok will check after work , thank you,..

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Here is my 46-47 Aristocrat. I had Sport Shaving replate it in gold. It is my birth era razor.
    IMG_4734.JPG

13. brit

brit in a box

that is a beauty..

Jayaruh likes this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Definitely and a fine shaver also. You can pretty much skip all the Super Speeds and Ranger Techs if you have one of these unless you want to shave through all for the first hand experience like I did before drawing your own conclusion on that statement.

brit likes this.
  15. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

16. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thank you. It was my first real acquisition when I returned to traditional shaving. I found it in an antique mall. I had no idea what it was until years later I discovered it was a 46-47 Aristocrat. Then it took on more value to me.

brit likes this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Nice razors, that 34 - 35 is one of my favorites. One of these years, I will eventually buy one of those Aristocrat Jr razors like the one you have. Yes that is an Aristocrat Jr and not a Rocket.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/thre...-the-gillette-aristocrat-junior-razors.51292/
    Just so you know that case with 34/35 Aristocrat is for a Red and Black new set. The correct razor for that case is a Gillette New Long Comb with the fat handle unique to the new razors.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  18. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Awesome razors.

brit and Boojum1 like this.
  19. Boojum1

Thanks Jim! :happy088:

20. Boojum1

Beautiful razor! :happy096: