FAMEX Redux

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Nov 26, 2018.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Tom-X with Karve handle. Shave tomorrow.[​IMG]

twhite, RyX, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

nice looking................

3. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

That is it! That is the handle for that head. I think the lines in the handle compliment the cuts in the head.

RyX likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

97g and perfect balance

RyX and Hembree like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Second shave with the Tom-X. On its mildest setting it has more gap than the original, and that and the 50% greater weight give it a bit of a different feel, perhaps a bit more efficiency. Both are smooth as can be and fully capable of a 1+ BBS head shave.

Will increase the gap next shave.[​IMG][​IMG]

RyX, twhite and PLAla like this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That handle also complements the Tomx shave head nicely. Notice the Famex head is asymmetrical that is partially why the shave won't match the Tomx exactly. It is a differential base plate, matches mine so I know for sure mine wasn't bent up. If you look at the Bohin on a side view they share the same asymmetrical type of shape.

7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be right for anyone but you to machine the Tomx head and possibly handle if you did a limited edition run. Don't do it as a business do it to raise money for charity or support the forum(s) with proceeds after materials and other considerations are paid for as part of the purchase of the razor. I don't see you having any problems with a limited run of 50 to 100 razors with a it will be done when it gets done waiting list. It is not like you have to go crazy with finishing these in different metals just do the run in high polished brass with a lacquer seal. The buyers can refinish them how they want afterwards.

You could also offer extra options, like one stock and for a few dollars more a customized piece with customer specified etching or your own designs.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    RyX and twhite like this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yes. I have to say I'm not a fan of unmarked differential heads. L'Essor does this as well. Gibbs got it right with the +/- (Gibbs Normal).

RyX likes this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is easy enough to etch a mark or paint a dot or something onto the side of the cage so you have a visual point of reference.

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Obviously so. Not really into marking up my razor. Oh so tacky :) . One could just put a piece of tape I guess but I just flip between the two sides without worrying about it.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    RyX likes this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

More aggressive set up with a BIC blade. For me no discerned benefit of the aggressive setting, maybe with a few days growth....[​IMG][​IMG]

Frijolero, PLAla and twhite like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Famex with @twhite cap back from plating, redone in nickel by Back Roads Gold. I am pleased with the results all around. I decided to leave those marks on the shoulders of the cap as a type of random makers mark.
    fam1.jpg fam2.jpg fam3.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    PLANofMAN, Frijolero, twhite and 2 others like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Did that handle come with the Famex? I have that handle with my Perfector .

14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I think so. The handle style may not be unique but the threads are. It uses a tapered thread which in turn will not accept an regular non taped thread handle because of how much of that taper clears the base plate. Take the base plate away it still won't thread tightly on a standard threaded handle.

twhite likes this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Threading is same on my Perfector, matches (or at least fits) L', Essor as well as Fatip.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Frijolero, RyX and twhite like this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The thread is unique then but not unique to the Famex. The original cap had SOS inscribed on it. I am pretty sure this is a frankenrazor for that reason alone. It would be the correct style and shape cap but wrong brand name. I know the same company made this under both brand names but I don't think they mixed parts like that. Your guess is as good as mine on the original handle or a 3pc instead of 2pc frankenrazor.

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

What ever it is it looks bitchin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BBS likes this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Not sure about the handle but the SOS type is a known variant discussed on the French forum.

BBS likes this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

This razor is a great example of form follows function that is easily also a piece of art. Even the handle follows that idea if you know the purpose of the non knurled portions of the handle which define specific balance points beside being aesthetically balanced. The top is the balance point where the head and handle are perfectly balanced, you have the most control of the razor here if you finger shave and the other is where if you want gravity and the weight of the razor to do the most work is where you hold it.

Frijolero and twhite like this.
  20. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

FTFY. ;)

Frijolero and twhite like this.