THE GILLETTE ARISTOCRAT

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Aug 15, 2018.

1. brit

brit in a box

gorgeous #58

Boojum1 likes this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

has an elegant look ...

Jayaruh likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

20181211_000011.jpg
    my 46 aristocrat has a un creased safety bar

4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That is the common one you see for sale all the time on ebay. The 47 only with the creased safety bar and same style center bar is the rarer variant.

The 46/47 is one of the best shavers you'll find that averages in the $30 - $60 USD range depending if it has the case and condition that can be easily acquired. It is not my favorite razor but I'd be hard pressed to find a razor that would knock it out of the rotation of razors I am settling down to using.

The 47 only variant though not a bad razor is hardly worth the time seeking out unless you want one for the collection or just want to try it.

brit likes this.
  5. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks Gary! thumbsup.gif

6. brit

brit in a box

mine is near mint and complete, case and blade bank. paid a decent price as well.guess its a keeper.. thank you..

BBS likes this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

All 3 that I've had of the 46/47 variety I paid over $40 USD for. The one I currently have which is also near mint I had the case for it but sold it with another duplicate since I could care less about cases. That 47 I have what I think is the original case and blade bank for it that came with the razor when I bought it. The felt in the case is purple.

Put it this way when compared to the British Aristocrats or the US open comb tto Aristocrats the 46/47 and even the common 47/48 and up versions are a down right bargain if you want a high end razor without paying high end prices.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    brit likes this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I just won an auction on my first cased Aristocrat. These are the seller's photos. Can one of the experts here shed some light on when it might have been manufactured? Thanks!
    Aristocrat 1.jpg Aristocrat 2.jpg Aristocrat 6.jpg Aristocrat 91.jpg

Jayaruh, Boojum1 and brit like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That is what I call the common 46/47 variant. 1946 - 1947 time frame is when it was produced. The reason I say common is it is 1 of the 2 post war non adjustable one piece Aristocrat models you see up for auction all the time on ebay. The other is the 47 - 53 Aristocrat.

brit and wristwatchb like this.
  10. wristwatchb

Thank you!

11. brit

brit in a box

wristwatchb likes this.
  12. wristwatchb

Thank you, Gary. I appreciate the kind words from our resident Aristocrat expert. :)

brit likes this.
  13. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

wristwatchb likes this.
  14. wristwatchb

15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

And, apparently, it doesn't have the creased baseplate.

16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    brit and wristwatchb like this.
  17. wristwatchb

Thank you, Jim!

18. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That is why it is the common variant. Normally the creased safety bar you only see on the 47 to 53 Aristocrats with the notched center bars. Those are easy to spot by the handle knurling same as the 46/47 which has different knurling on the rings. The two 47 only variants you need to examine the base plates to delineate them further.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    brit likes this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Verdict is in on the 2nd far as I know 47 only variant. This one is the same as the 47 - 53 versions except for the handle. It has the 2 smooth rings instead of the top one knurled and bottom ring smooth.
    47x2crat.jpg

Razor in question is the one on the right. The razor on the left is the 1st 47 only variant.

So far out of the 4 it is the most aggressive. It is still pretty mild in comparison to more aggressive razors like a Sheraton. It is certainly more aggressive and smoother than any Super Speed or US Aristocrat Jr. Shave is very good but the 46/47 and 1st 47 only variant give better overall shaves.

If this was a horse race those would be like a photo finish with the common 46/47 one winning by like a nose length over the 1st 47 variant while in 3rd would be this razor losing by a head length and in 4th the 40/41 by about half a horse length. All close but clearly distinct.

Last up will be the common 47/48 - 53 Aristocrat variant.

brit likes this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

And a recap so everyone can see that the only difference between the 2nd 47 only variant and the common 47/48 - 53 Aristocrat is the handle.
    47x2crat2.jpg

The one on the left is 47 2nd variant and right is the 47/48 - 53 common variant you see all the time on ebay for sale.

brit likes this.