BIG BEN super chrome razor blades: Anybody used them?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tazorac, Dec 1, 2018.

1. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

If so, how did they work? Were they awful like Dorco blades or good like Gillettes?

2. brit

brit in a box

i have a pack but haven t tried them yet..

3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

My experience is they’re good middle of the road blades at a very affordable price point. Very consistent and predictable.

gorgo2, brit and lightcs1776 like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Agreed, and also a very, very forgiving blade that's sharp enough not to hate. One of the only (maybe the only) hanger of blades I ever bought. I'm a fan.

PS

Opinions vary but several guys here find Dorcos quite effective for the price and availability.

brit and John Beeman like this.
  5. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

I've see that...I don't really understand...they are cheap for reason....I get about 1 and 1/2 good shave with them. A good shave then one side of my face that next time

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

I tried them quite a while ago. They were not the best of blades nor the worst of blades. I did not.purchase them again, as I found blades which I strongly prefered.

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I guess it depends on which Dorco blade you are using. The ST-300 felt tuggy and dull but I can get my usual four good shaves out of a ST-301 and Prime Platinum. On the other hand I don't get along with any Lord made blade.

Frijolero likes this.
  8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I saw Tuggy and Dull open for Gallagher at the Pavillion in '77.

brit, Frijolero and Linuxguile like this.
  9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Is that kinda like Puke & Snot ?

brit, Frijolero and gorgo2 like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That was their original stage name.

Frijolero and Linuxguile like this.
  11. ajc347

ajc347 Well-Known Member

I’ve not been able to find any reference to a Big Ben super chrome blade on the Lord website, but have used the Big Ben super stainless blades before.

I found them to be okay blades and on a par with Asco’s and Shark’s (and very similar to Dorco ST-301’s).

Of all the Lord blades, their Platinum blade is better, however, the pick of the bunch is the Lord Classic blade for me.

Despite what some sources (such as Bruce on Shaving) say, the Big Ben’s do not appear to be the same blade as the Lord Classic both in terms of the smoothness of the shave and the dimensions of the blade (a Classic will fit a Rocnel Elite whereas a Big Ben and an Asco will not).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linuxguile likes this.