-Vintage-Gillette-Shave-

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is one you don't see often and milestone for me finally having gotten to use every single non adjustable razor I currently own with this shave.
    milady1.jpg milady2.jpg

Either a 40 or 41 Milady.

Rev579, BigD, MacDaDad and 3 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

i liked the adidas ice dive.. but haven t replaced it as of yet. a little pricey when i last saw it $15 ish canadian at a drug store. priced like stetson .

3. brit

brit in a box

this is awesome folks thank you, keep em comin..

Somnos, ilts and Droo78 like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I looked it up. If it is more than 20 years old it is considered to be vintage. 100 years or more is antique.

Somnos and brit like this.
  5. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Same thing for cars?
    Also, I suppose that means I'm part of the vintage generation now?

Somnos, brit and Jayaruh like this.
  6. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

Well that is an excellent idea Sir! I will chime in tomorrow for the SOTD will feature a new to me Gillette Tech (England)...oh yes. I have 29 vintage and antique Gillette DE’s so this should be fun...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    brit and ordinaryshaver like this.
  7. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

And since I normally rotate between two razors for two weeks, the only other old gillette I will use until I need to change blades, and swap out one razor in my rotation.

Today's Razer is my 62 Gillette Slim, matched with Barrister and Mann's Vespers. Vespers has a scent which I like quite alot. My restored brush with a synthetic Maggard knot worked up a very enjoyable lather. Vespers reminds me a bit of Bay Rum, sweet with herbal base notes, so I matched my home made Bay Rum to it for a fine start to my day. IMG_20181212_191715_kindlephoto-310015735.jpg

8. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

1959 "Fatboy"

DSCF3163.JPG

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Friday's Shave
    [​IMG]

Cold Water Wash
    Eureka Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh #18
    Gillette Slim
    Gillette Super Blue Blade X3
    CWR
    Aqua Velva 5 in 1 AS

My prep was just a cold water rinse. The Eureka Shaving Soap face lathered well with the Jayaruh #18 brush. I did two passes with the Gillette Slim Razor with a Gillette Super Blue Blade X3 blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Aqua Velva 5 in 1 AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

10. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Ha, I have almost the same one, mine is a B4 date. Pretty neat?

brit and ilts like this.
  11. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Gillette Single Ring DSCF3165.JPG

12. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Yes, they're good razors.

I'm not going to say that my Blue Tip is my favourite Gillette DE but if it was the only one I owned I'd be just fine with it.

brit and ordinaryshaver like this.
  13. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

2774507A-E1B6-4BD6-A959-0D163305546B.jpeg A day late but the SOTD...

Gillette Tech (England)
    Personna Blue
    Simpson 59 - Best Badger
    RazoRock Nomad and mathching AS.

3 pass BBS glory. I am always amazed at just how good a tech is with a decent blade in it. Normally loaded with a Kai but the Personna came to hand first....

14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Finally getting around to using the adjustables.
    bb109.jpg

Super 109 and a Bic Chrome blade in rotation for the next 3 days. First pass with a fresh blade on the 9 setting. I am impressed with the results thus far, the Gillette razor this adjustable closest approximates on this setting is a Gillette Diplomat. Tomorrow set at 5 and after that set at 1.

ilts and brit like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

nice set up sir..

Jayaruh likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

very cool brush, nice tech...

17. brit

brit in a box

i think most of us are..

Somnos likes this.
  18. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

I love the 59 and also own a Wee Scot. I have a Chubby 1 in Best on the Christmas list...we’ll see. I have 16 brushes in rotation...LOL. The tech is quite nice and I have a NOS 53 Canadian Tech still in the box and a 66 Travel Tech. Love them...next SOTD we’ll start at the beginning with one of the Single Rings...Thanks for starting the thread!

brit and ilts like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

i had an nos boxed canadian tech i passed on to my brother when he started using double edge razors. i still have my nos 53 y-4 canadian military tech set.well was nos, i used it once..looking forward to seeing your set ups.. thank you for posting..

Somnos likes this.
  20. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

Mine is a Y4 too...here is my minty Tech...a grand total of $5.50...on the Bay...Blades are still in plastic...This was the “ground zero” razor that led to the next 28 vintage Gillettes LOL.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.