Simpson chubby 2 synthetic issues

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Rhody, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Hello all .Im having the hardest time with the chubby 2 face lathering. Its such a very different feel compared to every other synth i have. I see they recommend a painting move but i cant get a good lather have tried painting and various water on the brush. Its a lather hog too. What am i doing wrong? Thanks

Douglas Carey, wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

brit, Douglas Carey and wristwatchb like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Love the avatar, BTW.
    I can speak to this. The CH2 bristles tend to be fairly springy. You shouldn't be afraid of really giving them a good splay on your face AND while you load. I would suggest blooming the puck, but I always suggest that. Soften up that soap so you can really get a ton of soap loaded. Alternate a good scrub with "aggressive" painting strokes. Don't baby the brush, it can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Excellent advice. Don't be afraid of really making the bristles splay during loading. This really helps the brush splay more easily while face lathering. Really there is no need to baby this brush at all. It is somewhat a lather hog. If you want a brush that is frugal with the soap the CH2 synthetic is not the brush. It literally eats through soap at a rapid pace.

6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

C
    Contact @clint64. He face leathers and has Simpson synthetics.

wristwatchb and clint64 like this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

That is solid information Joesph.

8. Primotenore

Article Team
    :thanks:

Linuxguile and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. Primotenore

Article Team
    :signs011:

Linuxguile and Douglas Carey like this.
  10. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Thanks for some of the advice
    It splays like a brick for sure
    Ill keep trying

Douglas Carey likes this.
  11. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

A good scrub meaning circular?

12. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

+1 on what Joseph and Clint said. I've nicknamed mine The Soap Destroyer because it really has no problems picking up five or more grams of soap. The key to success is really getting the knot to splay which can be hard with a new brush because the fibers are so springy and packed so densely. After a bit of use the knot will open up a little and this won't be quite the chore as it is with a brand new brush.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

13. Primotenore

Article Team
    Push the brush until the knot splays. You can do circles, ovals, criss-crosses...ok, I jest. Any motion that you want. The painting strokes will tell you whether or not you have enough hydration. If the lather "pulls" away with the bristles, you likely need more water. The painting strokes should leave the lather smooth and evenly distributed.

:signs011:

14. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Il focus more on splay
    its almost hard to imagine it possible lol
    thx for the advice

Linuxguile, Douglas Carey and brit like this.
  15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Circular back and fourth, left to right. Try to beat it like it owns you money. Maybe owed you money for sometime. :)

16. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Lol
    Have a nice wrestle with your shave brush
    Ive been trying to use pressure to splay it dry and in my palm. Feels like im fighting with it. Will give it another go with a shave later
    I wish this info was more readily available in the posts and reviews about thus synth i will endeavor to give my feedback on future posts. I know its a ymmv thing but im not experiencing the high regard for this synth. I have about 20 other synth brushes i dont have to beat like it owes me money. This thing does owe me a lot! Lol :(

Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
  17. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I will chime in here as well. I have been working on my lather this month over in the 30 day crew. What I have learned is exactly what others have said.
    1. Bloom the soap certainly helps(except for Williams, don't bloom the Williams, bad things happen)
    2. Soap is cheap, relatively speaking, so don't be afraid to over load.
    3. When face lathering, when I see a "strip" or a "line" of lather at the top of my face, around the cheek bones that's a quick way to tell if you are doing it correctly.
    4. Don't be afraid to pull the lather out of the brush with your free hand and use that to apply to the face.
    5. You can always add more water, but it's harder to add more soap. See rule 1.

brit and Linuxguile like this.
  18. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

One great thing about the Simpson CH2 Synthetic....you will have no problem selling it.

Linuxguile, Rhody and clint64 like this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

It really comes down to what you want in a brush. The CH 2 synthetic is the most badger like of all the synthetic brushes I’ve tried. I like mine so much I have 2. One Jade handle and one ivory handle. You really have to mash the brush down as you load the soap. This makes it much easier to face lather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brit, Linuxguile and Douglas Carey like this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

That’s very true. I want some more different colored CH2 synthetic brushes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linuxguile, Boojum1 and Douglas Carey like this.