New R41 - which blade?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by OhCanada, Nov 20, 2018.

1. OhCanada

OhCanada Well-Known Member

Just got this beauty today ...first arrival coming out of a bit of a RAD Craze
    3 more on the way ...trying to up the efficiency , I normally use feather blades ..but that seems ..umm...stupid, I have platinum treets, Derbys, merkhur, timor, Astra Blue and personna blues to choose from...any advice for tomorrow morning? [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

brit, Keithmax, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

No on the feather... personna blue is a better choice. Maybe even the derby.

Somnos likes this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

We don't have your face . Blades are personal. Try a few.

brit, Shaver X and Terry like this.
  4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Get some Bic's.

Bird Lives likes this.
  5. TlawYensid

TlawYensid New Member

Nice. I really like that handle. Any blade that works for YOUR face is a good blade to try in it. Use a light touch lol.

6. OhCanada

Thanks I'll go with the Astra blues they work well for me and aren't quite so sharp

Somnos and Herm2502 like this.
  7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Go with the Astras from your list. The Feathers work well, the margin for error is thin, but I’ve done it with great results. Most of the time I like Gillette Nacets w/ an R41.

Somnos likes this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

If you normally use feather blades, just use feather blades. You know and like them. Just use a light touch.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  9. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

Astra's or GSB were my choice for a while.

brit likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

love the handle...

11. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I'd listen to the Stingster...he's been happily married to an R41 for years now!
    This cat knows from wince he speaks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

12. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

For any razor, there is a quick and easy answer: Try a blade sampler pack or two, and then you can tell us which blades work best for you in the R41. It would be interesting to see how your choice compares with that of other R41 owners.

If you are looking for a one blade suggestion, I recommend the Indian Wilkinson Sword. Although they were never the very best in any razor for me, they were one of the few that worked really well in all razors.

For those in the audience who are new to traditional shaving, and wondering what the sampler pack thing is all about.:

This sampler pack is one example (Amazon rocks!):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6EEZ60/?tag=thshde-20

Here are some others:

https://www.google.com/m?q=blade+sampler+pack

One of the best places to get razor blades is Try A Blade http://www.tryablade.com. You can put together your own sampler pack if you want. They have a huge selection of blades.

Somnos likes this.
  13. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I've used GSBs in my R41 with good results.

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Blades don't matter as much as people like to pretend they do. When learning the technique for a new razor, consistency is more important than choice.

Shaver X and Frijolero like this.
  15. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

I own one and I have to say that any blade works well in it. However, if you have a favorite blade use it in the razor because you know exactly how they feel on your face and that is important because Hubris and the R41 don't go hand in hand...LOL. The R41 was the second razor I purchased (I have 37) after getting an EJ89lbl. I spent many, many hours perfecting my technique with that razor and my favorite blade in it is the Voskhod. I have many different blade brands in the den and I rotate and dial in all my stuff. The Voskhod work for me exceptionally well as do the Astra Blue or Personna Blue and the Crystal blades (Israeli Personna). @Shaver X makes a good point about Indian Wilkinson Sword that they are good all rounders and cheap, I have a 100 pack of those on the shelf and reach for them quite often. Which ever you choose please be very aware of your technique with your new friend. It is still to this day the only razor that completely commands my attention a 1/4 through the first stroke...

Shaver X likes this.
  16. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I found that blades can make a big difference, or more accurately the razor + blade combination. Changing blades or razors won't fix problems with technique, though, as you noted.

@OhCanada, how are you liking the R41 so far?

17. OhCanada

So far I'm enjoying it ...2 pass shaves are a dream although it seems to work best when I have two days growth (for me that's every Monday morning) and polsilvers have been the best blade so far...

Shaver X likes this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Can't argue that point. It is my feeling that until technique is in place, all blades are rough. As user experience and skill increase, so does the range of acceptable hardware.

Shaver X likes this.
  19. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

My R41 use was kinda blade specific and after about 6 different blades I found the best results (for me) was a Rapira Platinum Lux.

20. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

How does this compare to a Rockwell 6S with the R6 plate? I have the R41 head coming due to my R89 being not as efficient as I would like.