-Vintage-Gillette-Shave-

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

For me it’s the weight distribution on my 84 that makes it a fine shaver. I find it to be just slightly head heavy and just balances beautifully and glides down the face.

brit likes this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is what I mean by the base plates.

Here is a Slim
    slim.jpg

Here is a BB with the same style of plate
    rb.jpg

Here is the later squared version that they started using in 76 until 85 to maybe 88 depending when they exactly stopped production of the BB adjustable. The last one piece DE they made was in 88 as far as I know. I've never seen a BB dated beyond 85 though.
    sqb.jpg

BigD, MacDaDad and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

no a huge fan of adjustables myself,have a cased birthyear slim thats mint and a very clean fatboy, but i prefer to pick up one of my hand picked favorites when the mood and need arises.i feel the adjustables are nice to use once in a while, but they are substitutes..

dmshaver likes this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The 84 and Slim are the same razor as far handle length, weight distribution. Gillette also made a hybrid Slim Super Adjustable. It had the Slim handle with the Super Adjustable base plate. They are rare to come by and were only produced for one quarter dated N 3 in 1968.

brit likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

i like how the 58 tv special shared the same knurling as the newly introduced fatboy or 1.95 adjustable..

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  6. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Gillette Flare tip / Gillette platinum [​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

BigD, MacDaDad, ilts and 4 others like this.
  7. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Pears Transparent Soap (preshave)
    Palmolive Classic Shave Stick
    Miusco Badger Brush
    Late 40's Gillette Superspeed
    Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (4)
    Thayer's Original Witch Hazel
    Proraso Red Aftershave

For my skin/beard, I think this blade reaches it's final usable output at 4 shaves. I finished with needing too many touchups for my liking. Completed the shave with a BBS, but resulted in red irritation on the lower neck. I guess it matches the natural tone of the back of my neck now...

Music provided by:
    Lynyrd Skynyd ~ Live at the Cardiff Capitol Theatre - Cardiff, Wales November 4, 1975
    [​IMG]

BigD, MacDaDad, BlaydRunner and 5 others like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

like the music with the set ups, cool..nice shave ..

Droo78 likes this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Unless this is one of those outlier shaves this razor at 9 outperformed just about every Gillette I can think of. It shaves nothing like the other BB with the square base plate. Lot of blade feel and audible feedback unlike the other. Very efficient also, no nicks or weepers or irritation. This could be possibly due to my whiskers being a bit longer than normal because of yesterday's shave not being that good when all is said and done.

Tomorrow's shave will tell me if this a characteristic of this base plate and if it is like a Slim or not. Up next the Slim with a fresh blade on 9 then this razor on the next 2 passes at 9 also. No need to dial it down if it performs this well all the way through. If it is a handle thing I'll know when the gold BB is up for shaving. It should shave that same feel and feedback if it is the same base plate thing.

Terry, Droo78 and brit like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

18/12/18 20181218_193459.jpg

BigD, MacDaDad, Terry and 2 others like this.
  11. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Great looking Blue Tip, original case as well!

My black beauty is an 85 model.not quite my birth quarter, bit still I birth year!
    If your technique is not in point, an adjustable razor is either going to tear you up, or make you feel that you have better technique than you actually do.
    I like my black beauty, I just set it at a 9 and go to town!
    I wish I could have gotten that scent from the Proraso Single Blade collection, but every time I tried to order it, they were all out of stock on Amazon! I did manage to score the Azure Lime scent balm, just wish I could have tried that one as it was my first choice!

brit likes this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

they sell all 3 flavors of the single blade collection at italian barber,creams, balms and cologne. sold out but restocks regularly..

13. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Hope this is Vintage enough! 1973 (I think) ball end tech! Used a Personna on it's 9th shave! IMG_20181219_094947_757.jpg

BigD, MacDaDad, Tim Spencer and 2 others like this.
  14. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

With the angle of the pictures being different between the 2 razors, it's hard for me to see the differences in the base plates between the Slim & BB. I'm not arguing if there are differences, or not. I'm just saying I can't see them in the pictures.

brit likes this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

There is on the underside but you can't see them from those pictures. The BB uses a slightly different lifter assembly and as such the the base plate holes are different from Slims.

The early BB models up to 76 and Slims are pretty much identical otherwise as far as how to base plate is made. I have to take back the 75 date, they made the first style into 76 before switching over.

Here are better pictures of 2 BB base plates.
    http://www.gilletteadjustable.com/super-109.html

Droo78 and brit like this.
  16. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Gillette Flare tip (TV Special) / Personna platinum [​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

BigD, MacDaDad, BlaydRunner and 5 others like this.
  17. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

stuartganis and brit like this.
  18. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Thank you @BBS for the explanation & additional link. I see the difference, it’s quite obvious now.

brit likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

thank you..

20. brit

brit in a box

nice set up, very retro..:happy088:, an yes , its more than vintage enough..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.