Pre and post shave products for sensitive skin?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by jamesbond, Dec 18, 2018.

1. jamesbond

jamesbond New Member

Good day,

This is James Bond, a Merry holiday season to all of you. As I age, my skin is becoming more sensitive, so I am looking for advice on some good, affordable preshave and aftershave products.

I am currently using a regular Gillette Mach 5 type cartridge razor, and have previously used the Bosch electric razor. I want to advance to a safety razor, but am scared...

I notice I have been getting some pimples after shaving, so I presume the blade is worn, and I am not using any product. Just the Gillette foamy type shaving foam.

I prefer products which are unscented or mildly scented, and good for sensitive skin.

Thank you and have a good day,

James

BlaydRunner and RyX like this.
  2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Well, this will probably go over about as well as a load of bricks, however anyone that knows me knows what I'm going to say.
    I highly doubt that you have sensitive skin. You may have sensitised skin, but doubtful that you have sensitive skin. It could be that your choice of shave products has led to the issues. You may also have developed an allergy to one of them.
    Being scared of traditional shaving is normal. I would recommend that you try a quality SE razor first, however if you want to use a DE, you should look at the thread of the 30 day crew. Great guys there that are more than happy to help on your journey .

BlaydRunner, RyX and brit like this.
  3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Please explain in more detail what you’re referring to when you say your skin is sensitive.

Is it just the pimples after shaving or are there other issues?

Is your skin sensitive to temperature? Are you having reactions? Rashes? Is your skin sensitive to touch? Is there pain? Do certain foods cause hives or break outs? Do you suffer from excema or psoriasis? etc.

brit, BlaydRunner and RyX like this.
  4. jamesbond

jamesbond New Member

Good evening @John Beeman

By sensitive skin, primarily I mean I am sensitive, as in I get a sinus reaction from strong fragrances.

My skin is not sensitive to temperatures, but I do not like extremely cold products, room temperature or menthol like cool is fine. No sensitivity to touch, and no pain. No other known issues like excema or psoriasis etc.

I have been having some pimples recently, and I think it may be due to the blade, e.g. maybe the blade is worn, and the omission of the use of any pre or post shave products?

Maybe I am missing something?

Thank you and good evening

James

brit and RyX like this.
  5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Pimples can happen for a variety of reasons. Ingrown hairs (which cause pimples) sometimes result when the hair is cut below the skin line, bacteria trapped in a razor that is difficult to rinse, a worn blade (or cartridge) that damages the skin, etc. Using good blades, rinsing the razor/blade completely, and changing the blade are all helpful.

One recommended post shave product you might consider is witch hazel. Inexpensive and readily available at many retailers and available in an unscented form (which I prefer).

51091162.jpg

Many aftershaves contain witch hazel but not all so I rinse with witch hazel after shaving and then apply aftershave.

I shave after showering so I have already washed my face but occasionally I will shave without a shower so in those cases I always make sure I wash my face first. I also tend to like shave soaps that I apply with a stiff boar brush so I scrub my face again when I apply lather. Even if I use a shave cream it gets applied with a brush so there's still plenty of face scrubbing.

I don't know which product (or combination) makes the difference but since I began wet shaving (DE or SE) and gave up cartridge razors, my skin has been in much better shape.

Nothing wrong with canned shave cream but after switching to soaps and creams that are applied with a brush I haven't bought any more canned stuff.

brit, BlaydRunner, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It could be undo pressure you are exerting on your skin, leading to irritation and "pimples". (Are they really pimples?) If I am too aggressive ATG, I will occasionally get some red marks that resemble pimples. Switching to a soap without the drying and irritating additives that are present in canned foam can only help. Of course, switching to a DE will take some practice---especially with lightening up your strokes. I would encourage you to make the switch and post your results on the 30DC thread. Just ask @Terry about his experience there. Good luck.

brit, BlaydRunner, RyX and 2 others like this.
  7. jamesbond

jamesbond New Member

Thank you @John Beeman @Primotenore

How about pre shave? What product would work well to clean the skin, and also soften the hair?

Thank you

brit and Primotenore like this.
  8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Perhaps You may try PREP Pre/Post cream.

jamesbond likes this.
  9. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I would 2nd the recommendation to try the witch hazel. I prefer the brand with out alcohol, as it will lead to your skin being a bit dryer, but also acts an an antiseptic.

Spyder, brit, jamesbond and 1 other person like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm going to echo the response by Joseph @Primotenore
    Cartridges require you to press the razor head against your face to make contact. Bumpers, guards, glide strips, and that dreaded flippy floppy self leveling feature. When switching to a DE or a Schick type SE razor you have to unlearn cart habits. The pressure applied against the skin isn't much more than needed to wipe away the lather. When you think you are using less pressure, you're only half way there, lighten up again.

Preshave products are available in all sorts of scents, or unscented. I've tried a widely advertised product called Shave Secret. It's a blend of oils that purports to be The Answer. After a months use, applied prior to using a good quality shave soap, I stopped using it and saw no difference. There's another product that I did find beneficial - Proraso Pre (& Post) shave soap. It's glycerin based, applied prior to and left on to be covered by shave soap lather. I've only used the Green that is strongly menthol & eucalyptus scented. It's also available in sandalwood or an anti-irritation oatmeal formula. Not suggesting it will work for you, but I've noted high glycerin soaps give me a slicker lather and better post shave feeling.

11. jamesbond

jamesbond New Member

Good afternoon and a Happy New Year to all of you!

Do you have recommendations on a good, unscented, or mildly scented shave soap, without tallow, that will later up well?

I am trying to shave with a Double Edged introductory/entry level Weishi safety razor and looking for a good lather. I am currently using Gillette Foamy as the shaving foam, but want to try a good soap or equivalent.

Thank you and have a good day,

James

Spyder, brit and RyX like this.
  12. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Kiss My Face Moisture Shave cream comes in unscented, and you can probably find it locally.

Siliski, Henri et Victoria, Meissner Tremonia, LA Shaving Soap Co, Soap Commander are all excellent and have unscented versions.

jamesbond and brit like this.
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Here’s a soap and as for you to try. Readily available and inexpensive.
    F2BF9C5C-BEE5-4202-B815-45C8B22066B7.jpeg

Frijolero likes this.