-Vintage-Gillette-Shave-

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I pulled out the Slim today with a fresh blade on 9 to compare to the Super 84. They are almost the same on the 9 setting. The main difference I wouldn't say is aggressiveness but how rough and smooth. The Super 84 has a little more blade feel and audible feedback. The Slim is just a little less. That difference is where the rough and smooth come into play as far as know it feels as they remove hair. Lesson here is unless it is a prep or sensitive skin issue just open these both up to 8 or 9 and be done with it. Next 2 shaves with each as the blade wears will tell me all I need to know.

ilts, Somnos and brit like this.
  2. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

87DCAFBB-C3FC-4AEC-A9C4-3DD6F1FB5CE1.jpeg 1949-52 Gillette Aristocrat Junior (#51 or #53) no case with it so I can’t say for sure.
    Rocky Mountain Barber Company - Best Badger.
    TFS - Corte Sabauda 70th Anniversary Soap with the matching splash.
    Personna Blue (2)

3 slow and wonderful passes and BBS. I love the A’crat Jr and this one is in impeccable condition. Love the flat bottom and if I am correct, the head is modelled after the #16? I can see why they are revered.

BigD, MacDaDad, stuartganis and 2 others like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between a general SOTD thread, left hand SOTD, right hand SOTD. .etccccccccccc?
    I need a road map to figure out where in the heck do I post here.
    Maybe everyone should have their own shave of the day thread, and then you can visit, that's an idea, that's a great idea, let's do it.
    Shaving has never been so complicated

brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i have the soap, not the a/s , how is it ?. the crat jr is modeled after the ss /brit rocket handle with an a brit aristocrat baseplate.people say the plate is 1,2,3 generation brit aristocrat..

stuartganis and Somnos like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

there is an se/ injector thread , a straight thread and now a gillette thread..just playing along..:)

ilts and Somnos like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

19/12/18 20181219_225018.jpg

7. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Gillette Slim twist / Gillette Platinum [​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

BigD, MacDaDad, Tim Spencer and 4 others like this.
  8. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

Now I am quite interested in figuring out which gen it would be. The soap is excellent and for a veg soap pretty exceptional. The AS is fantastic and worth getting. Italian Barber had them as a bundle awhile back and I am very glad I scooped it up.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    brit likes this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Somnos and brit like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

i may try out the a/s next order..thank you..

Somnos likes this.
  11. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

12. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

No problem...

13. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

My "old reliable" B2 high band Red Tip. Guaranteed to always give me an excellent shave...

[​IMG]

BigD, MacDaDad, Tim Spencer and 5 others like this.
  14. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I've never used a red tip. I have a blue tip, and a regular super speed. One day I will find a red tip for a decent price.

brit likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

nice red tip ..gsb rocks

stuartganis likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

i had a decent red tip but it bit me,my buddy bought it and i bought something else..i liked it .if i remember i sold it and my rocket hd and bought a #58 crat jr..

Somnos likes this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I think you might be able to get the one here at a bargain price. It is user grade though.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/flawsome-razors.60617/

brit likes this.
  18. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

brit likes this.
  19. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

This morning I dug out my W3 1951 Black Tip Super Speed.

As I'm sure most here know, for a couple of years ('51-'52) the demand for brass for Korean War ammunition production caused Gillette to build razors with aluminium or steel handles. That coupled with a hard plastic tip probably doesn't exactly endear these razors to many collectors. This one is the aluminium handled version and at 42g it equals the Blue Tip for the lightest weight of any Super Speeds. Maybe this makes it an ideal candidate as a travel razor?

And of course, with a sharp blade it shaves me just as well as any other Super Speed I've ever used.

[​IMG]

20. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Gillette Fatboy / Ladas blade [​IMG]

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.