The one thing you dislike...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by BigMark83, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Cutting myself. It rarely ever happens but when it does I bleed badly and it hurts terribly.

Shaver X likes this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

+1 absolutely.. without their actions we wouldn t be here...

Nicked likes this.
  3. Slivepe

Slivepe New Member

I sometimes do not like the fact that I'm just too lazy to do anything

4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

This could be why your auto-fill is so insistent
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/homemade

5. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

The plastic bottles that Old Spice now comes in. The ceramic ones were so nice. Actually, anything that cheapens shaving. Cartridges, of course, being the worst.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    brit likes this.
  6. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Besides cartridges? Canned foam, shave butter, gel, or any "brushless" shave cream products.
    This is dislike. It takes too much effort to hate.

7. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

+1

They're all perfectly fine alternatives for those who like that kind of stuff. Not for me, though.

brit and Shaver X like this.
  8. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

I throw a wet hand towel in a corningware dish in the microwave for 1:20 after I've lathered up my soap. Wring it out when safe, warm towel my face with it then wipe down with said towel before grabbing stypic pencil if needed and applying PAA's unscented splash SIN .

BigMark83 and brit like this.
  9. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

LOL, Feel ya, a let down for sure.

brit likes this.
  10. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

brit likes this.
  11. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

Was enjoying the post so much failed to contribute to this thread.

My 'selfish' numero uno, when a revered forum member digs deep, whips out something special in the SOTD thread and posts it with picturesque shot that could sell sand in a dessert and a narrative that just speaks to my inner junkie (soap, handles, knots, brushes or otherwise) and it sets you off on a query to find out more about this 'new' amazing, only to find out, unobtanium for YEARS. EX TRIAD Shave handles. Appreciate the feedback on the current market from my fellow enthused, and love the images of the rare masterpieces few may ever have, just go bonkers when the thrill of the chase is so six years ago and nary to be seen or had again.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  12. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

So do I, but sometimes I use a shavette to do the job.

13. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I was brought up in the same manner. Now that I am a man in my early 60's, I consider myself in the beginning stages of entering young elderly in a few years. Right now, I enjoy it when a younger person holds the door for me when I enter a 7-11. The perks of aging is fine with me. Lol!

AGHisBBS, brit, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  14. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

:happy093:Good words. Thanks.

brit, Frijolero and Trigger like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Triad handles always were difficult to get even when they were being made. Recommend Stork or Windrose handles as a replacement.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  16. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I dislike when people refer to a particular piece of equipment as a "beginner's" tool. For example, I've seen a razor like the Mercur 34c referred to as a "beginner's razor," or a brush referred to as a "beginner's brush."

Any of these tools can, and have been, used by shavers for a lifetime. To suggest that once you know what you're doing, you'll outgrow these tools and need better ones does a disservice to new shavers by distracting them from what's really important. Once you know what you're doing, you can make most non-defective tools work. You may want to obtain different, more refined gear--most of us do that, me included--but we don't really need to.

A carpenter doesn't need a Gucci hammer to set a nail, but he may like it because of weight and balance, aesthetics, etc. But he won't know that until he's mastered setting nails. And he may just realize that True-Value hammer works just fine.

brit, Hembree, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  17. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

All true if you're thinking in terms of people outgrowing their starter tools. A good tool is a good tool and may well be all you need for a lifetime. Muhle R89 and 7 O"Clock SS come to mind.

But some tools may be a bit more difficult for a beginner to master, and may result in them simply giving up. Think about a total beginner starting with an R41 and a Feather, for example. If you think in terms of tools that encourage people to continue to develop, then the "beginner" label makes more sense.

brit, AGHisBBS, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  18. DesertTime

OMG...I'm debating tools with the guy from "Tool Time!"
    Excellent point.

Frijolero likes this.
  19. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Er...TIM's the Tool Man.

Frijolero likes this.
  20. DesertTime

But Al was the side-kick who really knew what he was doing...

Frijolero likes this.