Secrets for Williams?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLAla, May 11, 2016.

1. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I'll report back, should be a great shave. Make the coffee strong tonight Fuzz.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

sdguero and PLAla like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It's barking thanks. Community brand Dark Roast...

3. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Here's a pic of the Tuxedo playing in the Williams. Awesome lather, now on to the shave.

Clayton[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yessss indeed. Love that brush too!

5. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

@wchnu If I may jump in here Fuzzy, first, Williams Wednesday is a a thing. Folks on the other side of the street have a great time with it.
    I bought Williams when I first started this journey, and was determined to get it right... Now Fuzzy will tell ya not to bloom the Williams, and as much as I like him, I have to disagree on this one... I bloom, but I just use a bit of hot water on the puck, no need to bloom for a full 10-20 minutes.
    I have also found that a stiffer back bone brush works well, for me. I like to use my horse hair, or my boars. For whatever the reason, they seem to really be able to whip up a great lather every time.
    Now I have a GIGANTIC boar brush, that I got in a sample kit, and I cant wait to try it on Williams Wednesday, something about the bigger brushes seem to help the lather...
    Also, there is nothing wrong with reloading more soap on the brush if you see that you dont have enough. Nothing in the "rule" book that says you cant add soap, or add water.
    One last thing I will add, for what its worth is this. I find that most folks seem to want to have a thick, foamy lather, like it has to be something that came out of a can... Williams aint that soap folks, just a nice slick, simple film and you will be fine. Whip Williams like it owes you money, and the rest will come together.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

We will get you sorted out soon. no worries.

Zykris, sdguero and PLAla like this.
  7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

To note - I have a PIF going for a puck of Williams in the Freebies section. (for those who haven't tried it)

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I find it to be a adequate shave soap, and did a month with it. Using it as a shave stick works for me very well.

sdguero, EnglishChannel and PLAla like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

A modern Williams shave stick is awesomelicious!

sdguero, EnglishChannel and PLAla like this.
  10. Maximumsmoke

Maximumsmoke Active Member

Thanks to encouragement from wchnu I have re-introduced myself to Williams Mug Shave Soap. This morning's shave with Williams was quick and excellent -- no problem. I ditched Williams a few years ago because it wasn't (still isn't) a tremendously "interesting" product in scent or packaging, etc -- in the "normal" ways, and I was trying to reduce my stable of shave products. However, I now find it is interesting and valuable.

Like a lot of you, once I decided to go "whole hog" into DE shaving, I wanted to try everything, and consequently built-up my stable of razors, soaps, after-shaves, etc. I use a lot of different products in all facets of shaving. Cost is no real object, for the vast range of products out there -- i.e. I don't live for the "cheap" shave. However, I will explore the inexpensive side now and then. I know some guys who by circumstance of fortune or desire want an economical shave. Williams is definitely a great option for that. Another example in that arena is Kingsley (Smallflower has it $4 for about 4 oz.) -- good in everyway, but basically without scent, which is sometimes a good thing. But I digress.

The Shave -- This was an adventure in "low cost" shaving. I used a razor I've come to call the FrankenTech (pictures later maybe?) -- an extra '50's Tech baseplate I could not bring myself to throw away, into which I machined two precise holes to locate a Pearl cap, and the handle from what turned out to be a viciously imprecise $3 open comb razor of Chinese origin that was on its way to the trash bin. That handle is a shade over 3 3/4 inches long, aluminum, with great knurling -- great feel. This assembly seems slightly more aggressive than a normal '50's Tech -- i.e. it's still a fairly mild razor -- nothing requiring too much caution -- but I get good shaves with it. I started with a new fresh puck of Williams Mug. I warmed the mug (a Japanese china tea cup that perfectly fit the puck that I bought yesterday at a Goodwill Industries store for a buck) from its outside under a stream of hot tap water, then filled the cup and inserted an inexpensive Omega boar brush (the one with the red and clear transparent plastic handle). One minute or less later I dumped the water from cup, shook out the brush and went to work. The lather formed as soon and almost as rich as any other hard soap I use. I suppose I worked on it for two minutes. I did have to add a little bit of water -- water content is critical to your lathering experience -- I do not like dry foam -- I prefer a fairly full wet foam. I did not shower or hot soak my face. I simply wet it with hot water twice immediately before lathering. The lather was brushed on and fluffed up on my face ( another minute or two). If your lather starts to dry, a) it probably wasn't thick enough to start with, and/or b) it needs just a little more water during the face lather/application, or in the mug. I used an Astra blade with about 5 shaves on it. I did a two or three pass shave (I'm a mapped-face guy), without re-lathering. Very comfortable and close. Not re-lathering, but simply slightly re-wetting by hand what soap remains after the initial razor pass allows one to see how much lubrication is really there. It was enough -- not a deluxe amount, but certainly sufficient. I generally re-lather with all my soaps, even the most luxurious ones, but Williams passed this "sufficiency of lubrication" test for me, and I know it will be even better if I re-lather as well as use a newer blade. Williams mug has a mild scent. I have a hard time understanding how it could be called offensive in the least. It isn't a big complex scent, but it isn't at all bad. I like other shaving soap scents better, for sure. It is not perfumy -- it will not drive your wife out of the shave den from inside the medicine cabinet (some do!). It is not a rich scent. It will not clash with your aftershave or cologne. It's in my stable now, thanks to wchnu.

Cheers!
    Tony

11. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Nice report, Tony!

Maximumsmoke and sdguero like this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That was an awesome Williams write up. Enjoyed the read!!

13. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I don't have a problem lathering with Williams. I add enough water to cover the puck by at least a half-inch. Let stand for 5 minutes and then drain the excess water. I use a synthetic brush that has a good backbone. However, I use Noxema classic cleansing cream as a preshave on my face. Apply the Williams over it and you get a nice luxurious lather even with hard water.

BamaT, PatrickA51 and PLAla like this.
  14. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I like Williams Mug Shaving Soap. I have never really had a problem using it or with how well it lathers . I also like the fact that it will mix well with Van Der Hagen Shaving soap .:shaver

BamaT, PLAla and brit like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

i mixed some with an ed jagger sandalwood puck, nice stuff, and i use it from time to time,on its own as well.

PLAla likes this.
  16. hush

hush Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    8. Throw Williams Shave Soap into fire.

brit and PLAla like this.
  17. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

You fixing to get one of them custom made bricks tossed at you......:scared003:
    @wchnu

PatrickA51, brit and PLAla like this.
  18. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

:rofl:

brit likes this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Lot of low class comments all of a sudden. :cool::angry019::D

Frijolero, PatrickA51 and brit like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

20181223_112006.jpg
    happy christmas..