Summertime...Barbeques, Grills & Smokers!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by HolyRollah, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

@BamaT Any idea on the temp? Good looking meal. Yum.

BamaT and Douglas Carey like this.
  2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

No, I don’t have a surface thermoter. I have heard others using the snake method say cooking temps run around 225 - 250, although I think it’s most likely on the lower side of that range.

3. Redrock

Thanks. I have a surface temp thermometer and it runs 225-250 too with the snake method.

BamaT likes this.
  4. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Good day for smoking ribs! Giving these out to people I work with.

IMG_0381.jpg

5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

That is how ribs are suppose to look like, very nice eye candy to almost the point of cruelty to my taste buds.
    Have a great day.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  6. Tiredricefarmer

WOW!!!! That's the ultimate compliment! Thanks! I have placed in a few small contests, one first and one third. I take a lot of pride in my ribs!

Redrock likes this.
  7. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Those Ribs look extravagant :happy096::happy088::signs011:

I hate you both and all I'm having for dinner is Pizza.:angry017:

8. Tiredricefarmer

Lol, I've got 12-14 more racks to cook next weekend. It's what I'm giving to my family for Christmas. Thanks again Patrick, you just allowed me to stick another feather in my cap!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Redrock likes this.
  9. Redrock

I have never been able to get ribs to come out right. Will you please share your rib prep, cooking method, time, temperature? Much appreciated. BTW...some good looking ribs.

10. Tiredricefarmer

Prep: Wash and then trim any extra fat or loose ends. Pat dry. Be sure to remove the membrane off the back, this is important. You can probably find a YouTube video on how to do it. It does make a difference! Use a mixture of 2 cups mustard, 1/2 cup dill pickle juice, 2T Worcestershire, 1T hot sauce, and brush ribs. You can also brush with olive oil but I highly recommend the mustard slather. This makes the seasoning stick. Then apply your rub. I use Strawberry's, it's made in Holcomb, Mo., for an all around rub you just can't beat it. Let ribs rest until the seasoning starts to sweat. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it.

Smoking/cooking: I use lump charcoal, it's usually hardwood and burns cleaner than regular charcoal. Use indirect heat at 250-275 degrees. When you are up to temp throw the ribs on with at least 1/4 inch in between. For the first hour use whatever wood you want to flavor the ribs. I use pecan, I just love the nutty flavor and the color it adds, but any fruit wood will do. If you use pear, make sure it's from a fruit producing tree. After the first hour stop with the wood, the meat won't take in any more smoke and it will only add a sooty taste.

Cook for 2 1/2 - 3 hours or until the ribs crack and bend at an almost 90 degree angle when you pick them up with tongs.

Remember, ribs take practice but once you get something you like it starts to come to you naturally.

If you have any questions I'll be happy to help you all I can, Enjoy!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  11. Redrock

Kevin. Thanks very much. I will give it a try over the holidays. I have a Old Smokey and am able to hold temps in the range you recommend using the snake method.

BamaT likes this.
  12. Tiredricefarmer

You're welcome. Let me know how they come out!

Redrock likes this.
  13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

How many brickettes wide and high do you use? I have been using 2 wide and 2 deep. I’ve thought about backing off to maybe 2 wide and 1 deep, but I am concerned about the snake’s ability to light the next brickettes. Any thoughts on that, as well as temps generated with that number vs what I’m doing now.

Thanks, Tony.

Redrock likes this.
  14. Redrock

I sincerely apologize for the delayed response. I use this method. Temp control is easy. I can maintain 230ish degrees easily. I have done the 2/1 but prefer how this video works.

BamaT likes this.
  15. Slivepe

Slivepe New Member

Your kitchen table looks incredible! I would also like this, my wife would be delighted with this. And after watching all these photos with meat, I wanted to go and cook something delicious on our grill site let it be cold outside, but I think it will not stop me!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  16. Redrock

Finally - some killer baby backs. Weber Kettle, snake method. Used one chunk of Mesquite and one chunk of Cherry. Was able to peg the temps ~ 250 - 260 degrees. They were tasty, tender, and moist. Nice pink smoke line. Good eats. I usually make my own rub but used this today. Good stuff. Thanks to @Tiredricefarmer for the pointers. (I decided to use the Weber since I was doing one rack.)

Ribs.JPG Ribs1.JPG Rub.JPG

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    BamaT, brit and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  17. Tiredricefarmer

They look great! Good job! Proud I could help you! The more you cook the better and easier they'll get. Hit me up sometime and I'll give you a competition recipe to try. Way more advanced and a whole lot more work but if done right they're worth the trouble. Congrats!

BamaT and Redrock like this.
  18. Redrock

Thanks. As a side note, have you heard of the "3,2,1 method"? 3 hours indirect. 2 hours foiled, 1 hour indirect? Also, there are a number of Youtube videos where folks foil the ribs for an hour or so near the end. I tried the 3,2,1 method one time and it was a disaster.

19. Tiredricefarmer

I've tried the 3,2,1 and it wasn't for me. As far as wrapping ribs I do that but only for a contest or just practicing. If you can make good eating ribs without wrapping why do it? I'm not against it but when you wrap you run the risk of over cooking.
    If you can pull the bones out clean then they are "over cooked" and in my opinion nasty. I think it's a "texture" thing with me. However, some people like them that way. If you cook per my instructions you'll rarely if ever over cook. Its what works best for me to consistently cook good eating ribs.

BamaT and Redrock like this.
  20. Redrock

I know about the "texture" you mention. Tender but not mushy. With the way my ribs turned out, I can't see changing anything in the cooking process.

BamaT and Tiredricefarmer like this.