When to replace a boar bristle brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Michael Bilyard, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Title says it all. I have a boar bristle brush and I’m just wondering how often I need to get a new one and some signs its time for annew one.

BlaydRunner and RyX like this.
  2. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

It’s kind of a personal decision. Boar brushes have more scritch as you know, so that part is up to you to decide on when it has gotten too soft. The bristles become softer as it is broken in. But when you start havin large amounts of bristles start coming out with clumps of the base, then it is definitely time to replace the knot in the handle. Just find what size you need and set it with silicone or epoxy, silicone is easier to get out when knot replacement time comes again.

BlaydRunner, RyX, Ursa and 1 other person like this.
  3. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'd guess 2 or 3 quality boars would last a lifetime. I'm 65 and have used brushes for my entire life with the exception of when I was in the Corps and I've never wore one out. I've lost some, had the dog eat one and would guess if I still had my original brush which was a hand me down from my Dad it probably wouldn't be in the best shape.
    edit- I'd think the biggest problem is that boar bristle tends to be brittle so if the brush wouldn't be soaked good for every shave you'd lose a few and being brittle over the years you'd lose some regardless.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    BlaydRunner, brit and RyX like this.
  4. SparrowPoint

SparrowPoint Active Member

My old man would get a new one every year. He was hard on them. Primarily used creams, soaked them in near boiling water, rinsed them briefly after use , cleaned the sink with them after shaving, etc. You name any abuse and he probably did it. That’s why he bought boars. He saw them as cheap and disposable tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    In general, a well maintained boar brush will last 15-20 years.

RyX and BlaydRunner like this.
  6. bladeshark

bladeshark Well-Known Member

Personally, I use them until I can't use them anymore. Boar hair eventually gets brittle and they start breaking off too much to be enjoyable. Until then, I'm good with them. Once they are broken in they are golden for years.

Paul76, RyX and BlaydRunner like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I enjoy the scrubby scritch of a new boar brush. They continue to work well after softening up but then I miss that New Boar feeling. The time for a new boar is when you pick up one for a buddy to try Wet Shaving, get yourself another.

brit, GatorJoe and Paul76 like this.
  8. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Back in the day's of when you used one razor, one brush, and one cream, or soap and didn't replace them until they were used up. My grandpa would just be amazed if he was here to see what I have in my shaving collection.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

brit and RyX like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

I doubt my grandfather used designated shave soap, probably what ever was at the sink. My father told me he remembers his dad rubbing used blades on the ceramic surface of the sink to refresh carbon steel blades. Bet those were some manly one pass shaves.

brit likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

i am sure my grandad would be amused at my shaving collection..i can here it now..what the bloody ell ..i think if my brush collection keeps growing the way it has lately some will die of boredom..but i will fix that, more shaves...:)

RyX likes this.