What’s with the eBay pricing these days?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by CARBON, Dec 24, 2018.

1. CARBON

CARBON Member

There seems a trend that’s been running for a while now where people are demanding £15-25 (ex. Shipping) for a run of the mill SR which isn’t usually in a condition I would find at those prices. I find these are usually marked “rare vintage” and are heavily rusted/pitted and sometimes have big chips in the blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax and oscar11 like this.
  2. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Just fishing for fools, IMO, or are fools themselves.

Keithmax, gssixgun and gorgo2 like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

They are trying to make up for a low bid, they know they are going to get. I stay away from these types of sellers. If they will scam you on postage, likely there will be other issues too.

Steve56, Keithmax and brit like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am not going to defend the practice of overcharging for a rusty razor, to which the OP is referring. No one holds a gun to your head to hit the "Buy" button or "Bid" button. When in doubt, move on.
    Vis-a-vis shipping. I sell quite a bit on Ebay. I am here to tell you that Ebay takes a HUGE percentage not only of the sale price, but of the shipping too! Add that together with PayPal and you can expect to "lose" (or "pay", whichever term you prefer) upwards of 10-20%. Shipping includes gas prices, wear and tear on your vehicle to and from the USPS, packaging materials, etc. Again, if you feel that a seller's shipping cost is too high, don't bid.

5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I agree. If you think ebay is high, check the antique stores :eek: Deals can still be found on eBay.

M14Shooter and brit like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I dont even try Antique Stores anymore, anywhere around the Houston area. I find incredible deals on eBay though. Most of my ebay finds fall between $8-$15, and need a little elbow grease. Very worth it.

7. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I agree and this has also been my experience. I prefer seller of estate sales since these razors tend to be original and unaltered.

M14Shooter and DaltonGang like this.