Do you get looks while straight-shaving in the gym locker room

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Trigger, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Today, I decided to take my inexpensive shave kit to the gym for the first time. I brought my Dovo shavette, my Rockwell synthetic brush and VDH luxury soap. I had an ulterior motive for bringing my gear to shave. One, to see if anyone would be surprised, and two maybe run into a secret straight shaver or maybe have someone ask me about it. Well, no one noticed or even interrupted me. I figured maybe one of the older gents might have chimed in. Ok, I started this thread to see if anyone has used a shavette or a straight razor in the gym locker room and if you got any reaction when you did.

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I just mentioned this in The 30 Day Rule / Focus group. For guys used to using carts, seeing someone using an open blade is automatic Manliness Points.

We often have a theme each month, shavettes is shaping up for January 2019. Join us @Trigger! If you are new to it, plenty of experienced users will be coaching new users. If you are a veteran open blade user you can help coach and teach the new guys.

Karl G, Terry, jason koonce and 6 others like this.
  3. Trigger

As of today, I have 53 straight shaves under my belt, 28 traditional and 25 shavette. I have been a DE shaver for years. I am still a newbie in the SR world, so I can always learn ways to improve my technique as well as giving other newbies my personal take a straight shaving. Thanks for the invite. However, I can't commit straight shaving every day for thirty days due to my schedule. If you are ok with it , then I will join.

Karl G, mrchick, Terry and 6 others like this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Please drop by the 30 Day thread as often as you can, whether it is with your DE, straight razor, or shavette. It would be fun to follow your progress and pick up some tips from you. I plan to continue using my Parker SRX shavette through the month of January.
    SOTD_122918.jpg

Karl G, Hembree, mrchick and 5 others like this.
  5. Trigger

Ok, I will join the 30 day club.

Karl G, wristwatchb, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I’m seriously surprised that anyone would use a straight razor in that region :eek:

Well moving forward: I regularly use a straight in the shower/ bathrooms in campgrounds. I’m talking many dozens. I have gotten a few looks and two comments. It’s almost like they’re afraid to look:)

7. Trigger

Spyder, I didn't think my comment was funny until you added your interpretation. Lol!

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Both of you, @Spyder & @Trigger would fit right in with The 30 Day Crew. It's fast paced chatter, sometimes about shaving & it always comes back to that. But we stray far afield. Photos of new homes being built, others getting additions. Kid, grandkids, pets, wives and girlfriends all make appearances. We talk BBQ, adult beverages, flirting with the check out girls at the Piggly Wiggly, and so on. Of course what happens in the 30 Day thread stays in the 30 Day thread...

Karl G, wristwatchb, Drygulch and 8 others like this.
  9. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Seriously, the guys over there are great! They show a serious interest in making sure you are able to accomplish your goal. We rib each other like guys normally do, but I'm enjoying Decadent Lathers now because of them.
    I'll always be a member over there, even if I say a big NOPE to the SR/shavette razors. Still much to learn and pass on.

Karl G, wristwatchb, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  10. Trigger

@ordinaryshaver, you may eventually become a SR/shavette shaver. When that day comes, then you will forever be known as extraordinaryshaver.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Karl G, wristwatchb, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  11. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

When/if that day comes, we will be using light sabers and be worried about the death star!
    But seriously though, I have tried, I did OK, but it isn't my cup of tea. I used both a shavette (albiet a less expensive one) and a vintage SR. I do well enough on my cheeks, but I have not taken the time to develop enough skill.
    I will hang around the conversation over there and hopefully some knowledge will be available.

Karl G, wristwatchb, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's the way of it. Easy north to south pass on the cheeks, finish with your familiar razor of choice. Once that's comfortable, turn the corner for a downward pass under your jawline, the neck. With practice the grips become comfortable and known. Any time you get a "No..." feeling, set down the open blade and finish with that well known razor.

Many folks who are working on learning choose to shave in the evenings where there's no time constraint. Saving it for the weekends can add to the length of time to build skills. Generally 100 shaves is what it takes to develop the basic skill set.

13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Welcome Trigger and I do not shave at the gym very often and rarely do I use a straight at the gym. I do have a fun story to share.

I live in South Korea and I had a business golf round and it was with a group I do not particularly like. The clubhouses in Korea are very nice and have luxurious sauna, hot tubs and showers. Since I was the only foreigner I already stand out but when I started shaving with my straight they could not stop staring. So they asked me 'is that what all American men use?' Since they are a pompous bunch of asses I could not resist teasing them some. I said, 'yes, most men in America use this type of razor.' I then asked them what do they use? The showed me one of the latest Gillette carts and I laughed and said, 'cute, that is what my wife uses.'

No disrespect to Gillette cart users nor women but Korea is even more Confucian than China. The hung their heads low and didn't bother me the rest of the day.

14. Trigger

Keithmax, that's a great story! It serves those pompous S. Koreans right!

Karl G, Spyder, brit and 1 other person like this.
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I was smiling for a week ;)

Karl G, wristwatchb, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  16. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

LMAO!!!
    You killing me ovah heeyah!
    Thats funny!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Karl G, RyX, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  17. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

That is hilarious. :)

Karl G, brit and Spyder like this.
  18. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I was thinking that being in public is the one place you don't want to cut yourself and bleed all over the place.

Karl G, wristwatchb, RyX and 2 others like this.
  19. Trigger

@Chuck Naill, That is true for some people. When I started straight shaving with a shavette a few months ago, I was surprised that I didn't cut myself from the start. Yes, I got very minor nicks and weepers, but nothing serious. I say this with all humility, I was surprised that I was able to do this because I am not the most agile person on the planet. With my limited experience as a straightshaver, I was ahead of the learning curve from the start. I was getting SAS, CCF and DFS shaves starting out of the gate. Now, I get DFS to BBS every time with either shavette or traditional straight. So, I was confident that my first time shaving in the gym with my shavette would be free from any blood loss.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  20. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Back when I was a teenager on an expedition in the Welsh mountains I took my straight razor because it seemed more out doors. On the second day I shaved in a stream with it because we were camping in the middle of nowhere. Two of the girls on the trip sat and watched.

It was the most nerve wracking shave - scared to death I would cut myself in front of them and was not a fun experience. Cold stream water - cheap nasty soap and rubbish brush. Fortunately a blunt spoon wood have removed the fluff from my face at that time.

Hadn't been straight shaving long. Desperate to appear an expert and cool in front of the ladies.

It was at the same time one of the worst shaves of my life and one of the most badass.