What Kind of Shaving Brush To Get

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by OSGGuy, Jul 10, 2017.

1. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Stirling Soap Company has synthetics and badgers that are reasonably inexpensive and punch way above their weight class. So does Maggard and Whipped Dog. You can't go wrong with any of these and all are a very good value.

jtspartan and RyX like this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    What you have not told us is your budget. If you are flush with cash, I can make some really great suggestions. If you are a frugal sort, you have been given many great options so far.

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Great brush. I've one that's nearly two years old, never sheds a bristle & a second I deconstructed to use the knot in another handle because it's just that good.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  4. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the best Bang for the Buck shave brush in shaving history, the Omega 10049. Break in required, but it just gets better and better.

Hembree and RetLEO-07 like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

:signs011:He read my mind. I've had good experiences with this seller & his prices are modest.

RyX likes this.
  6. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

7. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I suspect that the OP got his brush about 16 months ago!

brit and RyX like this.
  8. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I will chime in just to put my thoughts in.
    2 brushes I keep coming back to, no matter how I try to leave.
    Boar and Horse hair.
    If you like a bit more backbone, the boar will serve you find. If you want something that is akin to badger without the price tag associated with a higher end badger, then Horse hair may be a good option.
    My one and only issue with badger, is the markets inability to standardize the different grades. What one calls a best, can be what others call best. It is a subjective as what is better, Ford or Chevrolet.

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  9. Marc Bagwell

16 months ago.... then it should be brokin by now. :)

brit and kfbrady like this.
  10. Marc Bagwell

Horse hair is one. Haven't tried yet. I was wondering what they are like

11. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Hope it worked out. He only has 4 posts.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  12. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Yes, I agree. The Omega Pro 49 is a good boar brush, but it takes time for it to become smoother, but it is worth it. Paid $10 for it.

brit and RyX like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

If softening the bristles would make yours more desirable I did something to mine that accomplished it quickly. I had an Omega #20248 - chrome handle & fat knot with dyed boar to look like badger. Now this was back when I had just started wet shaving so I was a sponge for all ideas whether they helped or not. I read about cleaning brushes and one procedure suggested using vinegar to remove mineral deposits. I don't have particularly hard water, mostly dissolved silicates which is just sand. But I was young(er) and dumb(er) so I mixed up a weak solution of cider vinegar and water and let my brush knot soak for a little while. If you didn't know - vinegar is a weak acid. It did soften up the bristles and hastened the break in time. Didn't really damage the brush but the next time I used it I missed the scrubby feeling. Now that I'm older & wiser and better understand my preferences I appreciate that New Boar feeling. The good news is Omega brushes are inexpensive, the knots are great even if they go cheap on the handles, and I learned a lesson.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  14. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I think all brushes are a bit of a crap shoot no matter how much they cost. I'm a fan of the big Omega boar myself, they're inexpensive and work great, bit of a break in period with them. Some good synthetic brushes too. I'm using a Simpsons Chubby 2 synthetic and people seem to like them or not, pretty polarizing brush I guess, so I'd be hesitant to recommend one but I like mine. First brush go inexpensive but good, you have plenty of choices.

Bobcat, brit and Frijolero like this.
  15. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

The last time the OP was seen was the day he posted his question, July 2017.