January 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2018.

?

What is your New Year shaving related resolution?

1. I'm going to do the hardest of all - a No-Buy '19

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. I'm going to try shaving with straight razors (pain sticks included)

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. I'm going to reduce the number of soaps in my den

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. I'm going to buy everything in sight and build an addition to hold it all!!

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. I'm going to shave. Simple, right?

30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  6. I'm going to eat more cookies. Or donuts. Or ice cream.

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

It’s January!!! 2019 has arrived and we’re loaded and ready to go!!!

January is always a special month around here because it marks another anniversary of the 30 Day Crew. Our humble beginnings back on January 1, 2015 led to the past four years of shaving knowledge, fellowship, fun and general shenanigans and mayhem. Who knew, right? Four years and still going and growing. I can’t wait to see where we end up at the end of this one.

I’m going to post a “State of the Crew” message shortly so I’ll leave a lot of thoughts for that. But just let me say, from Cartel HQ West on the banks of the mighty Missouri and Mississippi Rivers, a huge THANK YOU to you all and here's to our fifth year being even better than the fourth!

One programming note – our unofficial theme of the month would be Shavettes – and Jeeves January. If you want to follow the theme feel free. If not, feel free. If partly, feel free. You know how difficult we are to get along with.

So, let’s get down to the usual business. Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. The theme for January is SHAVETTES!! And, by request, we're also declaring JEEVES JANUARY! If you want to shave along to either or both themes we welcome that. If you choose to do your own thing, we welcome that too. It's your shave – ENJOY IT as you work on technique and knowledge to make all your shaves fantastic.

We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie and meet the crew. If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's rock another month out!

Rules are the same people.

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.

2. Old Members always welcome. (Don’t like being considered “old”? Too bad, I know your birthdate.)
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. Ask questions about anything you are unsure of or need help with!

Let's have some great shaves people! Welcome to the FOURTH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION!!!!!!!

Group hug people!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

2019 State of the Crew

Welcome to 2019! Today we celebrate the 4th anniversary of this group. That’s a pretty amazing statement. We’re starting our 5th year together and that is a feat greater than anyone ever thought possible. When @Bama Samurai first brought us together on January 1, 2015 (ok, so officially December 25, 2014) I don’t believe he even had a thought that we’d still be doing this four years later. Honestly, the fact it went more than one month was pretty amazing.

In late April 2016, Chris asked me to take over as the “leader” of this group since he had new duties at TSD as a moderator. He didn’t want to have to act as moderator in a forum he was also herding. I agreed, and the duties really involved putting up the new thread each month and just kind of hanging around. Not a tough job. I could handle it. It seemed like we had grown to a decent size and were holding our own. And it has seemed like that on a few occasions. And then – newbies show up. The guys who were in the “last class” have worked on their skills and are now ready to help out those new guys. The excitement from the noobs carries over to the more seasoned members and they learn and develop skills. And then, we seem to level off again and things are good. We hold our own. Then - newbies show up. And guess what? The last class of noobs now teaches the newest class while the old-timers sit back, sip their favorite adult beverage, and harrumph at how well they are all doing. It’s like compressing generations of a family together in several months instead of several years. And it’s amazing in this day and age of internet warfare among social groups.

The growth of this thread has been nothing short of astounding. As a comparison, in 2016, we averaged 1675 posts per month. Our slowest month was August with 892 and our busiest was November with 2886. In 2018 we averaged 3342, basically twice as many as two years earlier. Our slowest month in 2018 was June with 2598 and our busiest was December with 6500+! We were over 3000 posts in 9 months in 2018. And it just keeps getting busier.

2018 saw the first official Meetup of our merry band of shavers. 9 members made it to St. Louis and had a fun weekend. BBQ was had by all, soaps and razors were traded, and our very first limited -edition soap, Blood on Steel, was produced for the event. Speaking of limited- edition things – our very own @jtspartan from the land of frozen stuff, otherwise known as Canada, produced a limited edition brush for our group in 2017. Not many shaving groups on the web have had their own LE brush and soap. Don’t tell me we’re not the coolest bunch of guys on the interwebs.

I also want to call attention to a feature of this thread that makes it something different. While we talk about shaving, take shaving pics and generally obsess over shiny and brushy shaving goodies – we also talk about and share our personal stories. Everybody who has been here for any amount of time the past couple of years knows Logan. If you don’t, then go back during any month of the past year and check every Friday’s posts. You’ll see Logan. And on Wednesday you’ll see his little brother Declan who joined @Linuxguile ’s family this year. You’ll also find pictures of other member’s families. @Drygulch ’s daughters, @mrchick ’s daughters and grandkids and many others show up from time to time. We’ve watched @Drygulch destroy his house so he could turn it into a better one. We’ve seen @wristwatchb oversee the building of his new house. We’ve kept up as @wchnu changed jobs, as @PLAla marched his band all over Alabama and back, and gone along with @Keithmax on a tour of the Far East on his vacation. Why, we even went with him to England to visit his brother.

We’ve encouraged members of the group through illnesses. Their own and their loved ones. We’ve grieved with them when they have lost family members and pets. And we’ve rejoiced at graduations, births, weddings and many other occasions. Talk about a group that defies the internet standard! But….there’s more.

Let’s talk about PIF culture. Pay It Forward, for newer members who maybe haven’t heard the full term. It’s a part of The Shave Den as a whole but practiced, it seems, daily in the 30DC. Somebody just starting out doesn’t have a brush? They will within a few days as a member sends them one, totally free of charge or expectations, just to help them out. Need to try a new blade? Somebody has it covered. I think we keep the USPS in business just in the PIF traffic that we generate around here. Add in the entire TSD family and it has to be a small economy. And, not to try and shine the spotlight toward myself, but perhaps the most amazing PIF in my own world occurred in late March – when Chris PIF’d himself all the way from Colorado to help us move when our former landlord showed his true colors as an idiot. Talk about support! It happens all the time around here and it’s part of the culture at The Shave Den that I want to emphasize in 2019.

And, speaking of 2019, let’s turn an eye forward. It’s New Year’s Day. Hope always abounds in the early days of a new year. And so too does the emphasis on change for the better. People resolve to lose weight, get in shape, buy a house, stop overeating and a thousand other things. Well, my resolution for the year is to continue herding the cats in this thread in order to continue helping people discover and enjoy the world of traditional shaving. And, as this thread continues to thrive and grow, The Shave Den as a whole will continue forward as a premier place of sharing information as well as friendship all around the world.

Before ending this short novel I do want to point out five people in particular. Well, four others and I’m just along for the ride. In the first month of our existence we had 41 participants. Some were every day posters, some every other day and some just a few times but they were there supporting the idea. Many of the original members are no longer active on The Shave Den while others are still active but not regulars in the 30DC at this point. However, the following five founding members are still active and involved and have been for the entire four years.

@Bama Samurai - Chris

@Drygulch - Adam

@wristwatchb - Charlie

@clint64 - Clint

@NCoxSTL – Neal

As one of those die-hards I just want to say thanks to all of the “new regulars” we’ve added along the way. There are plenty of regulars who joined up after that first month and as recently as last month who have become just as important to our merry band of denizens. Without the continued support of everyone we wouldn’t have an anniversary to celebrate, or a future to look forward to as a group.

In summary, the state of the 30DC is extremely strong. And the state of The Shave Den appears to be as well. Thanks to everyone for your support and continued participation. Here’s to an even busier and better 2019!!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Tremendous post, Neal! Looking forward to a magnificent 2019 with the wonderful 30 day crew. Happy New Year, everyone!

4. brit

brit in a box

awesome sir..glad to be here. i am going to do a brit flat bottom tech focus..a handle may vary ,but the head won t.want to really dial it in..doing a NB-19 on software as well..have tons of soap/cream and splash..some are still on route thanks to canada post and a last minute order..some have suggested i try straights ,well i love them as art at present, maybe in the future .good luck and progress for those starting or improving their skills with them..more work with badger brushes in my future as well, and my jeeves soaps..happy january..gary

5. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Ok, I will only use my Dovo Shavette to shave my face, my Semogue OC badger brush and my VDH luxury soap with Noxema Classic cleansing cream as a pre shave. Although I can shave my head with the shavette w/o mirrors, I will use my Rockwell 6C or my 1968 Gillette Slim Adjustable for shaving the melon.

6. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I am forever linked to the 30DC. The wealth of knowledge, and humility with a few fun jabs put in along the way make it feel like one has known every member here for a lifetime! Y'all we're some if the first to know about the little one in the way, and the struggles we faced, the overwhelming support and well wishes were wonderful.
    The PIF tradition is alive and well, and I for one can testify to that. So, having said all this, I will be here for a LONG time, and I promise to do my best to derail the conversation as much as possible!

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Go for it! We need more thread highjackers to prove that it just can't be done!

8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

So, Neal, is this the month where you GBT the Chinese Gillette Super Blue Blade (and razor)?

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

It is. I'm still putting the entire month together but that is on the agenda. I have several other blades awaiting trial as well, along with the Feather DX vs the SS and CJB pain sticks.

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I approached The 30 Day thread with some trepidation my first time in. Didn't take long to understand it's THE place to be here at TSD. I'm in again. Be wielding a shavette for as long as I can stand it, or until I get better. Y'all will know what happened when either I stop using a DE for clean up or I set the Luxor aside again. That's not a Rule as such. I've got too many soaps, AS, and brushes to totally lock in on one setup. Remember when you'd buy a can of goo and a pack of carts and use them until they was gone? This is Wet Shaving Gentlemen. I'm no Minimalist.

11. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'm in. All synthetics all month. No repeat software will continue.
    Happy New Year! [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

12. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Fantastic intro. You have a writing gift - a calling, perhaps?

I am jumping in for shavettes. I haven't used one in far too long, and I'm looking forward to jumping back on the wagon. So my New Year's Eve shave was my Magic shavette (thanks @BamaSamurai), Astra blade, Stirling soap, my 30DC brush and Canoe AS. Just like riding a bike. I wobbled a bit at first, but never fell. Gonna be a fun month.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

13. brit

brit in a box

cool brushes..

14. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Gary.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Thanks for the compliment. I've actually had a few comments in the recent past about doing more writing, shaving related writing. I am looking at a reboot of my long ignored blog to perhaps catalog some things and provide an outlet for new reviews etc. without burying this place in long-winded posts. Could be interesting. In the meantime, very nice start to January. that Magic shavette is a workhorse!

16. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Awesome post, Neal. Looking forward to 2019 with the Crew!

17. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Superb post! Excited to spend 2019 with the Crew!

I am back for January, of course, though I have no idea what I will be doing. My Secret Santa gift showed up yesterday (thanks Canada Post for the fall/winter strike season), so I will be debuting those items the first week. Likely jump in then with Jeeves January for the rest of the month. Shavette again? I still have the Magic and the Parker SRX in the cupboard...

18. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I’m in for ‘Jeeves January’. I’ll try to use at least one Jeeves product each shave. My CJB may make an appearance or two, but I think for razors I’ll focus on these 5 razors below that haven’t had enough attention the past few months:
    68CDE13A-74A1-4EC2-B6F8-3A0F074DF62D.jpeg

19. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Nice assortment of goodies, Jason.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

20. brit

brit in a box

january s tools..brit flat bottom techs, #26, #27, #44 thin handle and an uncased fh .arriving any day is a brit service set..don t have much jeeves but love what i have.. 20190101_002216.jpg 20190101_003458.jpg
    will also do a comparison shave or 2 with the brit new rhodium hybrid..my 4 badgers will be the learning brushes ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.