NB'19

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Troy M, Dec 27, 2018.

?

Are you in?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  3. Conditionally...

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. I'm just here to watch

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

So many of us fell off the deep end by purchasing more shaving gear and supplies than was really prudent. Our pocketbooks suffered and in some cases, our relationships were affected. We have enough blades to stock a small shop, more brushes than we have faces, more razors than we care to admit and enough shaving soaps or creams to lather our way to the moon and back.

Welcome to the support thread for those who choose to attempt to not purchase more shaving gear in 2019! You make the rules. If you decide that you will replace items that you use up (even if you have a similar yet different brand of the same thing) that's okay. If you draw a hard line and say absolutely no purchases, that's okay as well. You, and only you, can determine how honest you will be with yourself about showing some restraint. But let's be honest, you likely don't need 1000 more blades this year and you probably won't use up 20 different full sized pucks of shaving soap. Let's not even get started on brushes.

Join us on this journey of restraint in 2019. Use it up, wear it out or do without will be my motto in 2019.

RyX, Drygulch, jtspartan and 5 others like this.
  2. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Although I will encourage all of you going on this quest, I find restraint to be really overrated (particularly when it comes to soap and the usage thereof... just saying). Good luck to those participating, but I’m tapping out before the race begins.:)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    RyX, Drygulch, Screwtape and 6 others like this.
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

4. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I got yo back. I just finished a 2018 no-buy. Not going hardcore this year, but will be operating more on a buy-as-needed/replace basis.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

RyX, Drygulch, jtspartan and 7 others like this.
  5. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I can't be in. If I find a nice LE/SE brush I will add it to my collection.

Boojum1, RyX, Drygulch and 3 others like this.
  6. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I'm still deciding. If I don't commit to a NB, I still won't be buying much. I recently repurposed an old cd storage rack. All of my soaps in one place for the first time ever. Holy crap. Really drove home the point that I need to slow down. I need to do something similar with creams and aftershaves too. Those aren't quite as off the hook though.

RyX, Drygulch, jtspartan and 2 others like this.
  7. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

My name is @pisces_0 and I'm a shaveaholic.

I admit that I'm powerless over shaving soap and aftershave, and that my den has become unmanageable.

I'll be on the NB track for 2019. More than enough gear to last multiple years, time to thin a little.

RyX, Drygulch, jtspartan and 4 others like this.
  8. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Except Single Edge razors, can't not buy single edge razors.

9. ordinaryshaver

I am done with brushes. I have enough. I still have a few razors I want. A red tip Gillette, a Fatboy, and a parker 99. Once I get those I will be set for DE. SE, I want a bullet tip, GBar, push button, and a 1924 series as well as many more lather catchers.
    Soap wise, I'm 98 percent done. I'd like to try some scents to see if they agree with me, but I have Williams, Tabac, Palmolive, Wilkinson Sword soap stick, and Proraso as well as green mountain. I am not buying more soap until something runs out.

RyX, Drygulch, jtspartan and 2 others like this.
  10. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

I'm in! Finished NB'17 and about to finish NB'18 and am ready for Year 3.

I am hoping this will be my last No Buy year...I should be out of product or nearly out of product by year's end.

CarlfromMO, RyX, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

Hello my name is Gary and I am a shave aholic..I have been buying razors,brushes and software now for just over 2 years.I am pretty much done buying my vintage Gillettes as I have the ones I wanted.If a nice cased example comes along to replace a user grade one then I may do so ,but that rarely happens.My blade stash will last around 20+ years at 2 blades a week,and the 60+ soaps and creams ,15 or so brushes and 20 plus aftershaves..While this isn t a lot compared to some folks collections, if i continue , well ...
    I did a den clearing a while back and gave my se ,injectors and duplicate de razors away to my friend who has a cave and display..a good home for them .I will give away some soaps and not rebuy others and aftershaves will kept for sets,keeping only the favorites.while I randomly bought different thing to try ,the past 2 years.I am now organising ..
    My point?.Time for a no buy..I have a couple of items still on the way including a brush restore. I am going to attempt a NB 19 .I may try straights a ways down the road and have some other things to put to bed as well. so I need to build up investment funds.I figure I have enough toys to play with and still be able to post shaves and such on the forum here . Should a mint replacement razor come my way it will be the exception.. Am I lying to myself ? No . Am I fallible ? Yes..One day at a time..Thanks for listening ,Gary

BigD, RyX, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  12. Troy M

At least you know!

Yep

I'm with you brother!

Well, you have to have standards!

It is sort of eye opening, isn't it?

right there with you!

Well, ya know...

Good for you!

Wouldn't it be great to use it all up?

Gary, you can do this!

RyX, Drygulch, Screwtape and 3 others like this.
  13. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Well, I just did an inventory and have enough stuff to last a about 3 years. It's just that I'm weak when it comes to shave stuff.

I tried the NB17 and NB18 and failed both times. Maybe I can do better this year.

RyX, Drygulch, jtspartan and 5 others like this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Respect...

RyX, Drygulch, CarlfromMO and 2 others like this.
  15. Troy M

We're here to support you @poppi !

16. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I did NB'17 and NB'18, failed miserably in 2017 and did rather better but still failed this year. This year, I did at least substantially slow my purchases though, and sent out more razors and brushes and about as many soaps and splashes as came in.

I figure next year I will sit on the sidelines and eat popcorn while watching.

For one thing, I still have a list of items I may want to buy eventually: one modern razor , three brushes, and half a dozen soaps and matching splashes. Earlier this year, the list included a couple razors, about six brushes and over a dozen soaps and matching splashes, so the wait while on the NB did cut my want list in half....

I do plan to dispose of some more excess razors and soaps this year too.

RyX, Drygulch, jtspartan and 3 others like this.
  17. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Speaking of supporting people on this thread (and moving razors), Aaron, I have a cased Fatboy E4, a Gem GBar, a Featherweight, a few 1924s, a 1914, a Gem JR with the thick black handle, and a cased Damaskeene all looking for new homes. If any of that interests you, PM me. :). After all, if we cut a deal before midnight December 31, it doesn't affect your NB'19 at all. ;)

Edit: I forgot the Star Kampfe lathercatcher...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Drygulch, PLAla, BaylorGator and 2 others like this.
  18. ordinaryshaver

I am at work today, but I will be off this evening around 9pm or so. I will shoot you a P.M. when I get home. Thanks.

Drygulch likes this.
  19. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Welcome to day-one of NB'19.

20. brit

brit in a box

well made it so far..

RyX, Drygulch, Troy M and 2 others like this.