The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. gott654

gott654 Well-Known Member

I vote that if this is to be an annual award that you give it an original name and format, something along the lines of Turner’s top ten or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Well, it would have to be Turner's Top 4, but do you mean I should forget the "nominations" and just name one at each time segment?

3. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Well, I’m breaking out the Frozen Tundra for tomorrow!

4. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Thank you for the explanation, Paul.

5. Paul Turner

I appreciate your confusion, John....in this day and age, explanations are most important. But it reminds me of ANOTHER use of the word "dope"..I think it was a Mad magazine cartoon. A guy gets 10 years jailtime, and when he complains, the judge says, "That's what you get for smuggling, DOPE!".

6. Paul Turner

And then the Texas campfire one for July 4? :)

7. Yehuda D

I never tried that one!

8. Paul Turner

I was thinking I'd consider it, but now I'm not sure after that negative reaction I had to the Maggard's "Tobacco&Leather" soap. Too much flaming tobacco in that baby.

9. Paul Turner

@john zeiger, can you give me a sense of the Gentleman soap(if you've used it, of course). I've read where that is supposedly the best tobacco scented soap. Is that because the tobacco safely blends in with other scents?

10. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Sorry Paul, I haven't tried the Gentleman soap.

11. Yehuda D

The Frozen Tundra soap felt like heaven just before!

12. gott654

No way. Nominations create the suspense. Since Stoylin has tons of products, how about more categories?

13. gott654

If I may, I find that the tobacco scent isn’t very prominent. I’m wondering if the description refers to the tobacco flower, rather than the leaf. I find it to be similar to Italian tobacco scents,which to my nose are sweeter than say pipe tobacco. Gentlemen is a subtler, more musky version of the Italian tobacco cologne scent to my nose.

14. Paul Turner

That's a good help-thanks. The tobacco scent I whiffed(from the now non-existent Local Gent, sorry I think I said Maggard's before)left me concluding that it should have been called "Tobacco Fire". Certainly not the pleasant pipe tobacco smell I enjoyed from whiffing my Dad's pipes. By the way,as I said a long time ago, my uncle(his youngest brother)gave me a small collection of his(my Dad's)pipes that Dad sent him. I'm not going to smoke any, it's just nice to have them as family memorabilia.

15. Paul Turner

I think I'll stay with the two categories, as all I've bought from them is soaps and aftershaves. Course I use the additional items he throws in for free(it's been bath/handsoaps mainly). But thanx for the suggestion. I'll make an announcement before the first 2020 Tony nomination(s) about what I plan to do,

16. Paul Turner

Correction-that soap was The Tobacco Lounge from Local Gent.

17. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

@Paul Turner - order a soap and aftershave sample of the Gentleman scent. Would be quite inexpensive and the sample lasts a long while.

18. Rib

Rib Well-Known Member

Anyone have a chance to use Haverford? the description sounds similar to Stirling Gentleman which is my favorite, does this come in similar or completely different?

Also right now on Stirling site there is a good combo sale for Stirling One and Kaboom, anyone have experience with those two scents?

19. Paul Turner

I did have a Gentleman sample aftershave once. Was quite pleased with it. Maybe I'll try a sample soap sometime. I do recall having a much better reaction to the aftershave than I did from the Local Gent Tobacco Fire soap. "Hey, pretty nice"(or words to that effect)from the Stoylin sample worx better than "Yeooow, am I on fire??" from the LG soap.

20. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I have Haverford and Kaboom, but not Stirling One. Haverford is based on Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. Smells like pipe tobacco with a sweet, vanilla, caramel element. It's really quite nice.

Kaboom is based on a cologne I can't recall. I've used it once so far and really liked it. Both Haverford and Kaboom had long-lasting scents from the aftershave.

I think Haverford would be different from Gentleman in that the muskiness wouldn't be there.

@Linuxguile has these scents and might could chime in better than me.