SOS: January 2019

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Boojum1, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

4 January 2019

* Blackbird Polished SB 101
    * Wizamet Iridium Super
    * Chubby 2 Synthetic Faux Sapphire

* Mystic Water Cedar/Sage
    * Unrefined Shea Butter
    * Bergamot/Vetiver EO

[​IMG]

2. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    SOTD 1/1/2018!!

Hi Guys and Gals – I hope that everyone has a prosperous and happy 2019 and a lot of great shaves too. I had my second shave on the Augustini Kamisori and I wanted to show some more photos and my observations about this razor.

[​IMG]

First a health warning:

The Kamisori is a superb blade to master. It is at the pinnacle of Japanese razors and it takes some skill to use. It is NOT for the novice wet shaver and nor is it for the novice straight razor shaver. Wait until you are comfortable with a sharp blade and can almost shave blindfold before you try a Kamisori!!

However, if you do master a Kamisori it will give a superb and comfortable shave – you will be well rewarded. The kami I am using is a blade I bought from Augustini razors in Melbourne Australia. It has a traditional left handed asymmetrical grind as you will see from the photos below. It is beautiful in every way – a true masterpiece of the art. IF you want one like the one I am using then contact Augustini through Instagram HERE.

The line up:

Lets first look at what makes a Kamisori – traditionally the Kamisori is made of a soft iron ‘handle’ with a hard steel cutting edge with either three layers or 2 layers (san-mai or ni-mai) this was done in order to keep the price down and is in line with how swords are made – soft body/hard edge. In this case the complete kami is made up of the same hard steel. A Kamisori is ground to be ‘handed’ either left or right handed although some modern Kamisoris do have a ‘western grind’ more like a traditional straight razor. Kamisoris were originally meant truly ‘for barber use’ so I am guessing that the handedness was for the barbers preference not the shavers. I use my Kami in both hands – (lets wait for the thunderbolts from the traditionalists….). The Kamisori I show here is left handed grind. The side with more griding is called the ‘Ura’ and the flatter side is called the ‘Omote’. The makers mark would usually be found on the Ura on a Japanese razor however Augustini has not marked the blade – I think he should as it is a superb razor and something to be proud of – mark it Luke!!

So here are my observation on what was a superb shave:-

The heel of the razor – the point at the front – is superb and slightly angled and therefore muted – it will not dig into my face flesh if I lose concentration.

The toe is at almost 90º and is super sharp – beware of this digging in – you CANNOT use the Kamisori like a pencil. The blade needs to be parallel to the face at all times.

The handle us super shiny, just the right weight ann very highly polished – dry hands or alum essential

The shave was superb with even the ATG pass a delight. A tip for a Kamisori shave is to use a very slick soap likw the one I used or something like TOBS Avocado – something that leaves a residual slickness on the face after the pass – why? because the angle at which you shave with the kamisori is very shallow and the Omote will slide against the skin – if there is no residual slickness then it can drag and skip a little. nothing to worry about just one thing to watch out for.

If you are a serious straight razor user then mastering the Kamisori should be on your ‘to do’ list and you would be hard pressed to find a finer example than this Augustini Kamisori.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  3. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Doug! I would've posted this earlier, but didn't have a whole lot of time to browse the forum today. Cool razor!

clint64, Boru62, Paul Turner and 2 others like this.
  4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

January - Shavettes and Jeeves!

January 3

Razor - Feather DX Artist Club (pain stick)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Jeeves of Hudson Street Bay Rum
    Brush - The Canuck
    Post - Alum

Another night with the Feather DX as I work to get it fully under control and working to its peak. Again, I'm impressed with this razor and my initial impression after three total shaves with it is.....it may be the best of the pain sticks. I stayed with the Jeeves Bay Rum tonight because, obviously, it's Jeeves January and this is my only Jeeves soap (not counting Blood on Steel). Besides, comparing pain sticks and trialing blades which I will also do this month require more of a rule approach. So, Jeeves Bay Rum it is. The brush was the Canuck and the SynBad fan was again flawless. More than enough lather to work through some touch up passes to get down to a very nice DFS. No blood and the alum was quiet. Very nice shave.

Tomorrow night I'll switch to the Feather SS and see if I can tell the difference. I'm withholding judgement until I actually shave with it.

Enjoy your Friday and here comes the weekend!

[​IMG]

5. TommyCarioca

TommyCarioca Well-Known Member

Friday shave

St James cream
    Paladin 28mm Chief
    Mamba c Parker brass handle
    Permasharp ⚂
    3 pass

Alum
    Gomez AFS
    SC ASB

Encre Noire

Seize the day gentlemen
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Nice Streamline!!

clint64 and Boru62 like this.
  7. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thank you! And Happy Birthday!

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

SOTN: Lovely, relaxed shave tonight using this vintage Hoshi Tombo 6000 'western-style' razor with an asymmetrical blade (kamisori style), Soap Commander's 'Influence' soap & matching balm and one of several custom Jayaruh brushes. Have a blessed first Friday in 2019, gents!
    Jan03_2018_sotd_2.jpg

9. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Since I have to go back to work next week, this is the first shave of the new year...

Brush: Barbershop, Boar Bristle
    Soap: American Blue, by Barbershop, in Franklin Toiletry Mug
    Razor: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Ascension (Twist-Adjustable) Double Open Comb
    Blade: Parker Premium Platinum
    Aftershave: 1976 Aqua Velva

IMG_20190103_195639_519.jpg

10. brit

brit in a box

awesome...

Str8on2, clint64 and ram57 like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

lovely pic sir..

Str8on2 and clint64 like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

happy birthday doug..:greet002:

Str8on2, clint64 and Boru62 like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

classy set up sir..

Str8on2 and clint64 like this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Another nice outdoor shot Doug!
    [​IMG]

Tim Spencer, Str8on2, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  15. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Happy birthday! I’ve been contemplating finding some Old Spice Lime, how would you rate and recommend it? I’m really looking for a really nice lime AS. I’m going through the the throws of AEAD (Acquire Everything Acquisition Disorder) pretty bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Friday 4th January

[​IMG]

La Toja Magno Soap
    Proraso Sensitive Preshave Cream
    Nanny's Citrus Zinger Soap
    New Forest 1901 2 Band Badger Brush
    Gillette Old Type with a Dorco Titan Blade
    Lucky Tiger Aftershave and Toner
    Worth pour Homme EDT

3 Passes for a Wonderful Shave:)

Sparrow, jimjo1031, Jostalli and 24 others like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

thursday night shave.
    brit flat bottom tech,gsb blade 3rd use,simpson special best badger.
    pdp 63 soap, clubman a/s.
    have a great day.. 20190104_000806.jpg

18. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Good Morning Everyone SOTD 01/04/19

Gem MMOC
    Gem Personna (5)
    Chrome Handle Boar
    Clubman Pinaud SS
    Cold Water Rinse, Witch Hazel
    Clubman Pinaud A/S

Have A Great Day! DSCF3228.JPG

19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Doug!

20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

59B9DE6A-06C1-42C5-806A-7F5B790FE506.jpeg

January 4 SOTD:

Razor: Razorock Mamba
    Blade: Gillette Rubie
    Brush: Ever-Ready 150
    Lather: Speick Shave Stick
    Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Unscented PSB

Sparrow, jimjo1031, Jostalli and 22 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.