GEM RAZOR MODELS

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ron R, Nov 8, 2018.

?

Pick the Gem you like shaving with, multiple choices allowed for different models!

1. Gem Lather catcher

26 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Gem Junior

27 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. Gem 1912 Damaskeene

34 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Gem Micro Matic clog proof

34 vote(s)
    32.4%
  5. Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle (flying wing)

28 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Gem Micro Matic Open comb

40 vote(s)
    38.1%
  7. Gem Push button

19 vote(s)
    18.1%
  8. Gem G- Bar

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  9. Gem Feather weight

21 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. Gem Contour

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Picked up a brass MMOC without the "bumps" a few weeks back and had my first shave with it this week. Stainless blade with spine in place (normal).

Yep, it's aggressive.

Yep, it'll bite if you're not on your game.

Yep, it'll shave you BBS with minimal effort.

I LOVE IT! :love055:

Terry and Ron R like this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEM Micromatic open comb :smiley respect:(MMOC);) Gem Micromatic open comb (2).jpg

Blade gap: .023 thousands of a inch (.58mm)

Weight : 2.2 oz (65 grams)

Blade :
    Gem Personna Stainless Steel PTFE(Teflon coated)

Blade exposure : Positive

Handling :
    MMOC handles very well with it’s taper column straight knurled design for easy gripping, J hooking & buffing was no problem and GEM slide maneuver was no problem. Tough under the chin whiskers stand no chance with the GEM MMOC or GEM 1912.....

I used the MMOC as a daily driver for 10 straight days and never had any issues and gave consistently close comfort shaves(DFS>BBS). My medium beard type & I have not much for sensitive skin & this razor was a great pleasure to shave the beard off with minimal irritation.

Micromatic was built for rigidity and makes the Gem blade seat almost solid to the base plate for the first 3/8 of a inch from the front of the comb of this razor & combined with it’s advanced clamping forward movement cap pressure design maximizes it’s blade rigidity design. The SHEAR pleasure of the Blade is noticeable around the 2 or 3 shave like so many other blades and blade life is very good(7>.....shaves) IMO.

A.S.R MFG was One of the first twist to open(TTO) or first and was revolutionary & years ahead of Gillette in the TTO models. Gem MMOC was introduced to the public in late 1931 and Gillette TTO was introduced in 1934 from my limited research. Definitely a leader of it’s day and still available used or new old stock(NOS) because they manufactured millions.

This is one of the most high efficient razors with good technique for a medium aggressiveness and was a great purchase for a SE shaving system that will last generations with a little care and maintenance IMO! Gem MMOC ratings (2).jpg
    Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg
    Have some great GEM Shaves!:happy088:

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Frijolero, Terry and Jostalli like this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Took out the Gem 1950's Push button for my first shave and it went all right.
    The handle seemed a slippery at first so I applied some alum and no issues after that.
    The razor has some wear around the push button rear area so I installed a little plastic shim(.015 thousands of a inch plastic yogurt lid) at the back for the push button applies pressure to cap that clamps the blade down more secure and did it ever perform well IMO. The end results were CCS>BBS shave with no issues the plastic shim did not get in the way. The razor performed very well and was enjoyable when everything is performing as it was when newly bought on day one. Will be using this for a minimum of 1 week.
    Gem push button shimmed at back. (2).jpg

Frijolero likes this.
  4. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Great write up on the MMOC,
    I have a nearly new Gem Push Button, Not as aggressive as the 1912. I think it's about aggressive as my Bullet Tip, not as heavy but a bit more control due to the angle of the handle end

Ron R likes this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Good to know, I received a great shave from my Gem push button. The Alum block picked up some minor stuff but I added a extra pass so that might have something to do with the pick up of the minor tingling. Three passes with a pick up pass and got a excellent CCS>BBS shave.

6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEM 1958> Push button razor Gem 1959 push-button razor (2).jpg

Blade gap: .023 thousands of a inch(.58mm)

Weight: 1.59 oz (45 grams)

Blade exposure: positive

Blade: GEM Personna stainless steel PTFE(Teflon coated)(7 uses)

Handling: Handle took a little getting use to compared to other models but once I felt comfortable I rather enjoyed this handle.

With a new blade the razor handled with ease and used it daily with no issues for a week solid and IMO would make a excellent daily driver for someone who shaves daily. With a 2 1/2 pass WTG & ATG with clean up I received a DFS>bbs and with a 3 pass WTG+XTG+ATG+clean up I received usually a CCS>Bbs.

The blade is clamped solid if push button is not damaged (I had to add a little plastic shim .015) and the razor became like new or better IMO.

This Gem appeals to my eyes the most for appearance because of the black and gold colors with the GEM logo at the front.

If you like a mild razor with good efficiency this one would be OK and if in good working order mechanically you will enjoy it like I have & will in the future.

I also performed J hooking, buffing and GEM slide with greatest of ease and I’m “happy happy camper” to found another great GEM razor for those days you just want a DFS and no weepers or irritation.

So for the very affordable price I paid and the good results DFS > Bbs also with the great handling it brings, with reasonable GEM technique (Very Shallow) it becomes another GEM great razor. Gem Push button review Jan3-2018 (2).jpg
    Just in case your razor does not have operating manuals.
    Have some great GEM Shaves!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Frijolero and PLAla like this.
  7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Well on to the next Gem I own and that is the GEM Micromatic flying wing, guiding eye, bullet handle.... Gem flying wing (2).jpg
    My impressions on the first shave were very positive, the shave was one of the smoothest of the models so far with a new GEM Personna SS PTFE.
    Not sure why they cut production short for only one year(1947) but this razor is a shear joy for this daily shaver, you will not be disappointed for a medium type beard. I really must have good technique because the shaves I'm receiving are just what I want, nick free, weeper free and the alum block is saying why put the stuff on -that is how good it shaves.
    End results CCS> DFS>Bbs and that is just what most men & women want & cotton ball test hardly snagged any cotton on the beard IMO.

Frijolero and Droo78 like this.
  8. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review Ron. Glad you’re enjoying your shaves. Any cold water available up where you are??

9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Thanks, hope you are still enjoying your Gem razors also recently you purchased and I believe you bought some E2 Schick injectors that I really like also. Lots of water up here just turning to ice in our river, like watching paint drying.;)

Frijolero likes this.
  10. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

I am still enjoying the GEM's. So far, I have found they are great to shave with and the Clog Pruf so far has given the best out of the few I have.

Out of that razor lot I bought, I got an E2, E3 (2), E4, G1, J1 and a Techmatic. They have all provided great shaves. I probably won't try the Techmatic, but I do like having it for the history as you pointed out they were used by the astronauts.

Ron R likes this.
  11. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

For me, it's either the MMOC or 1912 and Shovel Head. I always felt the Feather weight, Bullet, Push Button a bit too mild for me.

Ron R likes this.
  12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

For a long time the MMOC was my favorite of the bunch, but I have come to prefer the Clog Pruf.

Ron R and Frijolero like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Another Peerless model showed up, this one with instructions that do confirm the 1946 production date for the 17 tooth Clog-Pruf[​IMG]

Ron R and Frijolero like this.
  14. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Very nice, The other one you bought is a little nicer because it had tags and it might of been a virgin razor you were showing on B&B. I'm still waiting for the mail and tracking the same clog Pruf model as it bounces around from mail sorting sites. It's amazing how the mail works and how advanced the systems have become and very reliable when you think how it all packages get to us accurately 99% of the time.

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Don't really have a virgin fetish -- they all get used-- and they are equivalent in terms of cosmetic condition. This one has instructions in pristine condition and the mechanism is smoother than the other. Kinda surprised that ASR bothered with different cases given the short production run.

16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Frijolero likes this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEM Flying wing, guiding eye, bullet tip......MMBT.
    Gem flying wing (2).jpg

Weight : 2.47 oz (71 grams ) This is the heaviest Micromatic of the 3 models.

Blade gap : .022 thousands of a inch (.56mm)

Razor Material: Brass with chrome coatings like similar other two Micromatic’s models MMOC & MMCP

Blade exposure: Positive

Blade : GEM Personna SS PTFE (7 use)

Handling : This is a very nice smooth daily driver razor that makes shaving enjoyable.

-Good grip with their taper column type vertical cast straight knurl like the other two Micromatics but with a bullet shaped twist end that is very nice to work with.

- the razor really never felt threatening and handled buffing , J hooking and GEM slide maneuver with ease and one of the smoothest razors with high efficiency that was great to use.

- my shaves were close and comfortable and alum block confirmed that, no problems!

-Usual shave DFS>Bbs (WTG +ATG +clean up passes) and while testing with cotton ball test hardly ever snagged cotton on the clean shaved beard. The beard started to be noticed by feel about 8-10> hrs later.

This Micromatic model was only produced for approx. one year 1947> and the earlier production had a round circle indent machined in the center of the cap (guiding eye) that was later stopped. It was sales gimmick and really did nothing from my limited research. This model is more rare than the MMOC or MMCP and can be had for a very reasonable price still and will be harder to find in future no doubt.
    Gem review over all with Flying wing! (2).jpg
    For folks who have no GEM Manual on how to operate their GEM or EVER READY razors.

Frijolero likes this.
  18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Well onto the next GEM the Clog Pruf late 1946-1947 Peerless Variant model. GEM Clog Pruf (2).jpg
    Blade: GEM Personna SS PTFE (1)
    Soap : Razorock Lavender
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft
    Preshave: Shower and Aloe vera gel afterwards
    Post shave: Alum + cold water rinse
    Post shave: Razorock Blue barber + witch hazel+ Nivea balm

The shave was very close with a new blade and beard fully hydrated to give me a DFS>BBs for my first impressions of this new (used) razor. The blade could be felt a little and first swipe indicated to me that the blade razor combination audio feed back that my 1 day old growth stood no chance of winning this shave today. The Alum block test indicated some minor to normal stinging after a close shave. The MMCP is a great razor for a medium to coarse beard from my first impressions
    GEM MMCP first impressions jan 11-2019 (2).jpg
    Have some great Gem shaves!

jmudrick likes this.
  19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf twist to open(Peerless model) or MMCP GEM Clog Pruf #2 (2).jpg

Weight: 2.23 oz (64 grams)

Blade exposure: Positive

Blade gap: .022 thousands of a inch (.56 mm)

Blade: GEM Personna SS PTFE coating(Teflon) (7th use)

Razor Material: Brass with a weak gold coating.

Handling: Great Micromatic handle with the straight tapering knurl is easy to grip.

With 17 nibs on the safety bar the feel is pleasant to the face.

Shaving was easy and as always I tested J hooking and buffing and also the GEM slide maneuver and no problems- some razors are not friendly to these maneuvers .(as the blade gets on in its life cycle it becomes easier to do different maneuvers IMO.)

The Micromatic Clog Pruf can be used for daily shaving with just a 2 pass WTG + ATG with a clean up pass because it is a mid aggressive with high efficiency and the shaves I received were CCS>DFS>BBs and mostly irritation & weeper free shaves as always.

High efficient razors I only need to two passes with a clean up pass to avoid over shaving and creating other known skin irritations.

I find the shave aggressiveness very similar to the Micromatic open comb slightly milder but smoother to face feel because of the hybrid 17 nib safety bar.

If you can not receive a good shave from the MMCP I would suspect your technique needs some improving and for sure use a new blade. (Also check for mechanical problems like bent safety bar or missing blade keepers because most likely its a used razor.)

The Micromatic Clog Pruf was MFG in 1941-43(12 nib safety bar version) and production was stopped because WW2 effort and resumed after the war ended, the MMCP “Peerless model 17 nib safety bar” was introduced in late 1946 to 1947. clog pruf 1941 to 1946 3.jpg Thanks @jmudrick for the excellent photo.

The 3 variants of Micromatics(MMOC,MMCP,MMFW) are the cream of the crop for rigidity and for the different GEM razor models and will shave any beard type with ease and enjoyment with a nice feeling afterwards.(silky smooth IMO)

Finding blades on line can be bought easily and local pharmacy's in USA still carry them and at reasonable prices & when buying 100 pcs will give any DE blades a run for the moneys worth for one sharp long lasting blade.
    Some one mentioned that GEM's are the "BEST KEEP SECRET" in shaving, I would have to agree to that statement hands down!:smiley respect:
    GEM REVIEW 6.1 Clog Pruf Jan 16-2019 (2).jpg

For folks who have no Manual on their GEM razors and were the GEM Personna SS PTFE rates for a reference IMO.
    Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg
    Have some great GEM shaves!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    Frijolero and jmudrick like this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

So the most aggressive of the Gem/Ever-Ready family in my experience is not the MMOC but the travel/"squat-head" 1912. Minty one just arrived, will see if it's as beastly as my other one.[​IMG]

Ron R, Frijolero and ordinaryshaver like this.