Designing a safety razor - new project

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Vlasta, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Anyone done this before on here? Any tips? Are all razor blades a standard size? Any insights welcome - blade gapping etc.

brit, dangermouse, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  2. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Nowadays all DE blades are a standard size with minor variations. There are different SE types.

Frijolero, twhite and Vlasta like this.
  3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I would be glad to answer any questions you might have. First thing is it going to be adjustable?

You will want to start with what you want for Blade exposure, gap and blade reveal. From there design outwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

brit, jtspartan, dangermouse and 4 others like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

(Subscribed to this thread!)

brit and Frijolero like this.
  5. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

This should get interesting.

brit, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

All I can add is make a simple prototype to test the shave based on those variables before designing outwards up to full blown production. And make sure YOU test it and are okay with it regardless of who else you seek feedback from.

brit, jtspartan, dangermouse and 2 others like this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Great added advice. Razors are so personal so you will never please everybody. I made my razors to suit my shaving preferences.

Again best of luck and I will be glad to help any way I can if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Here you go. Another example of generousity here in our community.

Advice from our resident razor designing mad scientists is priceless...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

brit, wristwatchb, twhite and 2 others like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

something simple yet elegant..

Hembree, dangermouse and twhite like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Glad you are drawing on the collective wisdom, intelligence, and opinions of TSD Steve @Vlasta. Can't make everyone happy, but starting from scratch just may lead to innovation.

Here's a point to ponder. Blade Gap is the distance between the blade and the guard bar? Correct me if I've got that wrong. As a proponent of "Ride the Cap" rarely does the guard bar or comb of a DE razor make contact with my skin during a shave. Another point of possible adjustment (I'm assuming adjustability is a desire? That was Tom's @twhite question.) would be blade exposure - the amount of blade that extends past the top cap or silo doors. I don't know if any DE razors have the ability to adjust this parameter.
    innovation managment.jpg

Keithmax, brit, jtspartan and 4 others like this.
  11. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Way to go, Steve.

12. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I am thinking about how to start and what I want variable and what I want fixed. Rockwell have all the patents stitched up in flippable plates to change blade gap (they do it by altering the fixed angle in the plate surface between the cap and the plate. So that is a non starter however there seems to be no patent on variable blade gap using plates or some other mechanism so that is where I will start - variable blade gap. Now, onto blade reveal, is the blade reveal something a shave would set once and forget? ie pseudo-fixed? I have ideas in my head but nothing on paper yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax, brit and RyX like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Two 3 piece DE razors come to mind. If anyone has a better understanding of the mechanics please set me straight.

The Fatip initial offering had a slightly smaller with cap that the second final version. The V1.0 was more aggressive/efficient to the point they made the cap wider to cover more of the blade which gave less reveal. An adjustment was made on the cap for V1.1 rather than the base plate...

Another example is the Lutz Slant. Made in Germany possibly in the 1930's. They may have been repackaged in the 1960's. I got one off the bay in NOS / NIB condition a year or two ago. These have a scalloped bar guard with fine or coarse spacing. Though the top cap isn't clearly marked one side is slightly shorter that the other allowing different blade reveals. When properly assembled it gives a mild / aggressive choice.

Neither of those examples would step on toes of the multiple base plate patent holders. They describe a possible "two choices; + or -" adjustment.

I believe Tom's @twhite IGOR SE had an adjustable feature. Not sure what the action was. Does it push the blade forward or back to give more / less reveal?

Frijolero and brit like this.
  14. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    On an SE it would be straightforward. On a DE where you want/need the same blade reveal on each side - harder.

15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The Gibbs Normal aka "+/-" aka 14/16 also used the cap to vary exposure. Patent 1942.[​IMG]

Frijolero, RyX and Vlasta like this.
  16. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Interesting technique on the Gibbs

Frijolero and jmudrick like this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yep. fine razor it is. [​IMG][​IMG]

18. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Does the top of the cap need to be completely smooth? I guess not as the “trapdoor” type razors have a line or gap. Thoughts?

Frijolero likes this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Skip the honing mechanism and just make the head designed to accommodate both DE and Gem Style blades.[​IMG][​IMG]

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  20. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Suggested ranges for blade reveal and blade gap?

Frijolero likes this.