Designing a safety razor - new project

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Vlasta, Jan 4, 2019.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Both Schick and Gillette made 3pc and TTO DE's with deeply marked top caps. Can't say I'm a fan of the style. Those with open comb caps look interesting but I haven't tried one yet.

That would be interesting. Gem blades - stiff with the thick wrapped end lay flat. I can't think of a DE that doesn't bend the blade in at least a slight curve. I'm not sure how one set up could hold both types of blades.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Well here's the patent. The production Shake Sharp does bend the DE blade of course but as a single edge design it does so in unique fashion (using the cap and rear shoulder).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BylTR_fxv0rzbV83TjVxeWJTajg/view?usp=drivesdk

RyX, Frijolero and brit like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

See the Bohin razor. The reversible plate is prior art. If they tried to take you to court for infringement you can get the whole patent invalidated on those grounds if you want to go the legal route. Talk with a patent lawyer first about this before doing anything would be my advice then proceed on the reversible plate idea from there. Either way have an non-reversible plate razor ready for sale in case you do get caught up in a legal tussle.

See the Bohin or Gillette Goodwill 160 for adjustable blade reveal and exposure. It works simply on the fact that the cap can sit on the plate offset to one side or the other besides sitting symmetrical like every other razor out there.

If you are sick enough to make it, I'll show you how to make a razor for people who don't shave.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    brit, RyX, Frijolero and 1 other person like this.
  4. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I think I am sick enough...

RyX and Frijolero like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Let's see what you come up with for a regular razor first.

6. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    OK I seem to have interested a few people. How about we take it over to the PM forum so I can share some hand sketches (be warned I am no artist) so you can see what I am thinking of. Hands up who wants in?

Jorvaljr, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

In

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RyX likes this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    me2

RyX likes this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm in if you don't mind. I enjoy engineering on the fly and designing projects. Takes a little mental effort but envisioning the finished product, then figuring out how to get there is fun.

Been a while since I was a Member so I don't recall if members can form up the group PM's. Let me know if you need assistance getting it going.

Frijolero and twhite like this.
  10. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Can I tag along and watch? I may not be able to add much but I love the process.

RyX likes this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

One thing to consider before showing off drawings is there anything that is possibly unique or adds something different to an existing design that might be patentable.

If so before showing off design drawings I would suggest applying for a provisional application before showing mechanical designs to people who may potentially take the idea and put it into their already commercial products. You don't know who is really sitting behind these screen names in most cases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provisional_application

https://www.neustelsoftware.com/patentwizard-faq/

Now if you are only sharing artistic designs then this is a non issue unless you plan to use said designs as a trademark.

RyX, Hembree, Frijolero and 1 other person like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I think you are too. I'll pm you on it.

13. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I’d like to be in.