british stirling and english leather

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by rbilly, Dec 23, 2018.

1. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

So my local walmart has finally restocked british stirling and english leather, its been a few years since i have seen either one. On the down side no one is stocking the christmas time gift sets in my area.

RyX and brit like this.
  2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Have you checked Walgreens? I found the 3 packs of Stetson there. Also have a few different Adidas sets. For the price I think it is a good deal for every day aftershave and cologne.

RyX and brit like this.
  3. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I will have to go take a look, its just wierd, big and lots, target, walmart all have few if any sets, previous years they had a dedicated isle.

RyX likes this.
  4. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Problem is they didn't sell too well in the previous years. Young guy's don't want to smell like their dad or grandpa. When I was in my twenties I didn't like British Stirling, or Stetson either.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Question-you didn't like the scents, or you DID but you knew you'd be in the minority of your peers with them(BS and S)?

brit likes this.
  6. chevyguy

At the time I thought the scents were more for an older man like my dad. I Was more into scents like English Leather, and Aramis.

Clayton

Paul Turner and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

what is british stirling similar to?

8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

That’s a good question. I find British Sterling to be somewhat distinctive so I will be interested to hear comparisons.

brit likes this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

It's greenish/herbal and a little spicy, almost an oriental foguere. It's nice, different from almost anything now, and nothing is coming to my mind to compare it with except, dimly, Hai Karate but they're not the same. Anyway, I bet more young men would take a shine to it if they gave it a chance. Beats current O.S., but what doesn't.

What puzzles me is that I see Stetson everywhere, all the time. Walmart, Dollar General, it's always around. Of the two English Leather is superior (imo) but no one seems like it anymore. I've never been crazy about Stetson so I wonder who buys it (I do use the deodorant stick, that's good stuff).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  10. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

To me its a fresh green scent, has a bit of that 70s smell but also once the scent starts to lift i get a shower fresh scent, its starts with a green spicy almost lemon lime type scent. English leather was gone they temp stopped making it, it just hit the shelfs again at walmart, i think it was 8 bucks

11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I have English Leather for the nostalgic part of my adolescence:) However, I prefer Stetson. Actually I just opened a gift pack of as and cologne.
    I will have to keep on the lookout for British Stirling. It was top shelf cologne in my younger days. Remember it was only sold in jewelry stores??

gorgo2 likes this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The only place I've ever seen it was about 2 years ago at Big Lots, tiny sample bottles on clearance. I bought 'em out. Haven't seen them since.

Spyder likes this.
  13. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I remember back in the day English Leather had a lime scented AS that I liked. (Pre 1971)

Paul Turner and Spyder like this.
  14. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

English Leather while I liked the scent, it had the tendency to stick around a bit too long. The lime, I wasn't much of a fan .. BUT! .. Wind Drift was one of my favorites of all times. I was a fan of British Sterling by Speidel but by Dana? Not so much.

brit and Paul Turner like this.
  15. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

IMO most of the old school a/s and colognes have been reformulated by sourcing cheaper, lower quality ingredients. They all seem to have a harsh medicinal smell to me. In my youth I used English Leather and it’s variants, especially the Timberline version. British Sterling, Chaps, and Canoe were also favorites. Either they have changed as stated above, or in my old age my sense of smell has changed, or perhaps it’s a combination of both.

brit likes this.
  16. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

I am so jealous. I hope you guys get all the scents, and as many as you want. I know if I was back there I would be going on such a spending spree buying all the scents like a fat kid in a candy store.
    Rock on.

17. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Yep, the older you get the better Tabac smells. It's old school, 1959. First grade for me.:happy036:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Enrico and brit like this.
  18. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

Tabac is the scent that I've always liked yet I hadn't used it until 6 or so month ago. 1959 .. 1st grade? You're a y0ung guy, aren't you? :)

oscar11, Frijolero and brit like this.
  19. chevyguy

I like the scent of Tabac and 1970 was when I started the 1st grade.

Clayton

brit likes this.
  20. Tinmantoo

Tinmantoo New Member

Started shaving in the early 1970’s. Old Spice products for every day use. British Stirling for weddings, funerals, graduations, etc. Still working on the same bottle of cologne! And yes, even back then, I wanted to smell like my father and grandfather.

RyX, gorgo2 and brit like this.