Handmade Shave Creams?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by johnnyflake, Jan 8, 2019.

1. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I have been looking around, and as a New Wet Shaver, I am not familiar with Handmade Creams.

I found a few handmade creams by Queen Bee and a few others, are they truly better than the commercially produced Shave Creams? I realize that they are more expensive, but what the hay, I am the one that's going to use them!

Any input and suggestions will be appreciated.

RyX likes this.
  2. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't know much about artisan creams but there are some excellent commercial creams available. I would suggest the following creams-Xpec, Art of Shaving, and Tabac. Now artisan soaps I know a little about. Here are a few of artisan soaps that I enjoy, The Grooming Dept, Wholly Kaw and Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations. A couple of commercial soaps that I would consider standards of wet shaving are Tabac and Mitchell Wool Fat soaps both are pretty polarizing, Tabac due to it's scent and MWF because some find difficult to lather.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    GatorJoe and johnnyflake like this.
  3. johnnyflake

Thanks for your input, not much other info coming in. I have picked up a few of the commercial Creams, Proasco, Cremo and one other, but I can't think of the name. It is a Sandlewood Style, or aroma. They are all a bit different from each other. I have not figure out the Cremo yet. Not too happy with it. I was cruising ETSY and came across the handmade creams, or artisan creams as you put it. I was seriously interested in knowing if they are different, better, etc. Without any input, I will probably just order one and check it out.

4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Johnny, there is a good crew around here I'm sure more people will add their thoughts. I think Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations makes a cream but I'm not positive. If it's anywhere near her soaps if will be really good stuff. Her soaps I'll give 2 thumbs up but can't comment on her creams (if she makes any).

BigMark83 and johnnyflake like this.
  5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Cremo doesn't lather, and neither does Queen Bee, according to the website (here).

As for other artisan creams, it all depends on who makes it.

RyX and johnnyflake like this.
  6. johnnyflake

Thanks for the "Link" JoAnna. I did find that yesterday and looked through most of it, but I do not recall reading about, No Lather, but rather a rub on style cream. That's a bit disappointing, but I'm thinking I should still try at least one.

BTW, do you have any suggestion with respect to Artisan Creams?

7. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of Stirling Soaps. Not a creme, more of what I think is considered a croap. Lots of great scents. Small veteran run business. Great value. Gets lots of love around here. Worth a look.

Be well.

8. brit

brit in a box

jm frasers shave cream is excellent..the scent is an industrial lemon to some but i like it..the lather is really good imo and is a large amount of soap for the $..

Yehuda D likes this.
  9. johnnyflake

Yesterday, I ordered a 4oz jar of Queen Bee Lumberjack Shaving Cream. The description of that cream is:
    •LUMBERJACK || rugged tobacco, sweet fruit, floral, woods, spice.
    We'll see! It looks like they have about 20 different blends, maybe a few more.

10. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Funny, but to me the Stirling soaps are not croaps. :)

Edison Carter likes this.
  11. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

It never really mattered to me what anyone may call it, I just like it.
    :happy088:

brit likes this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

If you are into menthol, C O Bigelow is popular. It was my gateway to Italian made Proraso products. The C.O.B. cream is produced by Proraso who also have many other formulas and scents for cream along with matching preshave soaps, aftershave balms and splashes.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I agree. Stirling soaps are just that..soap.

brit and Yehuda D like this.
  14. SparrowPoint

SparrowPoint Active Member

Only true cream made by an artisan was OSP. It was nice stuff. Discoed from lack of sales. Every other artisan cream I tried was actually a croap. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Ska SF

Ska SF Member

I love Moon Soaps Amaretto Speciale. It's a thicker cream than Proraso. Exquisite!

16. TxMidLifeDad

TxMidLifeDad New Member

I have heard a lot of good things about stone cottage soapworks. I have not tried them yet so I can not comment on how well they work. I do have plans to order a sample pack from them soon though.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

17. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Usually I'm cursed: give me a blind test and I'll prefer the product that turns out being the most expensive. But with shave soaps and creams it's the opposite, I tend to prefer some of the least expensive brands like Prorasso, Arko, and Palmolive.

18. brit

brit in a box

jm frasers is a true shaving cream..

johnnyflake likes this.
  19. johnnyflake

Well, I received the 4oz Queen Bee, Lumberjack, Shave Cream yesterday, along with a 12oz bottle of Clubman VI Bay Rum. They are both new to me. I will be giving them a run, for a couple of shaves, this coming week. I will advise on my thoughts afterward.
    MVC-008S.JPG MVC-009S.JPG

20. johnnyflake

Well, during this past week, I had 4 shaves, using both of the above.

The Clubman VI Bay Rum has already made it into my top 4 aftersaves. It is really, really Nice!

The Queen Bee Lumberjack Shave Cream, has already made it into my top 4 Shave Creams. It is super smooth, whips up into a beautiful lather,
    in my bowl, with just a light coating on my Badger Brush, with a few drops of hot water, in less than 30 seconds. The aroma is very pleasant, but I can't
    explain what it smells like. I just like it. This is a very reasonable Shave Cream. $6.50 for 4oz and it's an artisan hand made cream. After 4 shaves, it doesn't even look like I've used any of it. This 4oz jar should provide at least 50/60 shaves, maybe more. I just ordered their Bay Rum Shave Cream, 4oz size.