Ivory Scale Razors.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Dec 27, 2016.

1. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Typically, vintage ivory scales tend to be much thinner than their bone counterparts. Not a certainty, but something to look for.

See Lindy's Helje's for some great examples of what the texture of ivory should look like ;).

Karl G and mrchick like this.
  2. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I have a couple but no decent pics. Here's one, bad pick and all. MOP on the tang and ivory scales Keen Kutter 5/8.
    [​IMG]
    Whoops, obviously not the Keen Kutter but Ivory.
    Here's the Keen Kutter.
    [​IMG]

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  3. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Here's a nice old ivory scaled CVH MK No. 33 I used to own:
    [​IMG]

oscar11, DaltonGang and Karl G like this.
  4. RichMack

RichMack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Just picked this up off Etsy. Paid premium but, real IVORY is impossible to come by today. From what I can find on the Sheffield Index Wade, Wingfield & Rowbotham, - (, merchts. & table, pen & pocket knife, razor and file manufacturers).
    Address: Tenter Street, in 1837.
    Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1837.
    According to this index this was the only year this Company produced Razor. Then in 1851-1852 Richard Wades name was dropped from the company name becoming Wingfield & Rowbotham. At which time the newly named Company began producing Razors again. I believe that makes this razor exactly 180 years old.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

That's a beauty - I love the shoulder-less blade. :)

Billyfergie and RichMack like this.
  6. RichMack

RichMack Well-Known Member

Yeah I had a hard time pulling the trigger on this one, but I just couldn't stop going back and checking on it. So now it's mine.

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  7. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

Extreme thinness of scales is the most noticeable thing
    which first suggests real ivory to me also.

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  8. DrStrange

If I wanted to without lying,
    trick somebody into thinking that celluloid was real ivory,
    I would refer to it as "piano key material".

Karl G likes this.
  9. DrStrange

I have an MK 31 with a marbled grain which causes me to wonder if it might walrus.

Karl G likes this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Pics, we need pics. :D

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  11. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

As it turns out, Glen (@gssixgun) did check it out when he honed it and judged it to be ivory for a number of reasons. I’ve since picked up a couple of other razors with ivory scales and can now spot the difference pretty easily. :happy088:

DrStrange, gssixgun and Billyfergie like this.
  12. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I Know this Seller..He is a Friend... I Have Bought a Number of Razors from Him & He Puts an Excellent Edge on his Razors...They are Truly Shave Ready...He Uses a Naniwa Super Stone Progression to 12 K..When he Advertises Scales as Ivory they are Ivory..He is a Very Reputable Seller.. @Karl G has Bought a Number from him as Well..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

13. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

A trio of Swedes, a C.V. Heljestrand MK No 30 and a Gentlemen’s Set of No 31, all wearing Ivory

775E496B-89E0-46BE-B80F-A8385E6149BC.jpeg

DrStrange, Manumik, Karl G and 6 others like this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

0F67F7CF-476F-4E73-81E4-FB31ADA4FF0E.jpeg

This one is on the way to me, 13/16+ CVH Mk33.

Cheers, Steve

DrStrange, Manumik, Timwcic and 7 others like this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

71B2F4A6-1E2A-4B60-A691-E81F729D9C71.jpeg

Here’s a vintage Joseph Rodgers chopper, ‘Cutlers to their Majesties’, so it made before the death of Queen Victoria. Very nice unrestored razor except for some light cleaning. There are few spots of pitting on the other side, but really in great shape for what, 150 years old?

The eBay seller was in Chuckey, Tennessee about 65 miles from me, and was selling a LOT of really nice razors of this period. She (I assume) had lots of W&B, but W&B were bringing very high prices at the time and I’ve always thought Rodgers was a much better razor. I bought this one very reasonably.

Chuckey is a tiny town/village on the wild (undammed) Nolichucky river, a stunningly beautiful area especially if you’re an outdoorsman or like fishing the wild rivers, but it’s out in the middle of nowhere. I asked how she came to be selling such a large collection of really premium straight razors and she said that she was liquidating an estate. I wished I’d asked whose estate. I still marvel that a Victorian-era, ivory-scaled Joseph Rodgers came to be in the middle of what was then mostly wilderness.

Cheers, Steve

Manumik, Timwcic, Karl G and 7 others like this.
  16. DrStrange

According to my understanding of a pdf on ivory identification which I just read,
    the appearance might by from the ivory being sourced from near the outer edge
    of an ordinary elephant tusk.

Karl G likes this.
  17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

There is a notorious saying around here: "Pics, or It doesnt exist." Just a little friendly prodding.

Billyfergie, Karl G and Steve56 like this.
  18. DrStrange

It took me this long to upload an avatar.
    I am going to try for pics now. DSCN0639b.jpg DSCN0639b.jpg DSCN0661b.jpg

Attached Files:

19. DrStrange

DSCN0764b.jpg DSCN0767b.jpg DSCN0759b.jpg DSCN0762b.jpg

Le Grelot 360 5/8 Lotus

20. basil

basil Well-Known Member

4F9A4805-E429-4FCD-9381-5628BA159D02.jpeg

6/8 ivory le grelot

Manumik, DaltonGang, Karl G and 2 others like this.