DE blade usage

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rob206, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

I was wondering how many shaves you typically get out of a de blade?
    Astra greens to be specific . once I try them, if I like, I'll order a box of 100. I usually shave every other day. And I'll get a couple months out of a mach 3 cartridge but I really push it probably passed where I should.

AGHisBBS, wristwatchb, RyX and 3 others like this.
  2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

It depends on if I use a safety razor or a shavette. I usually do not go pass 6 shaves with a safety. With a shavette, I am spliiting the DE blades in half so I get 5 shaves per half blade and therefore, I get 10 shaves for the full blade.

AGHisBBS, RyX, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  3. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

I went through an Astra 100 box- took about 2 years. Good blades. I got 100 Personas recently just to try something new. Those seem a little sharper to me, but who knows. I go 5-6 shaves per blade on either.

AGHisBBS, RyX, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

1-2 blades a week. 5-7 shaves a week lately..

BigD, AGHisBBS, RyX and 5 others like this.
  5. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

5-7+ shaves per blade with the Astras. Shave almost every day.

AGHisBBS, Frijolero, BamaT and 3 others like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    The shallower the angle, the less blade wear = more shaves.

AGHisBBS, Enrico, RyX and 6 others like this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

DE blues usually last 3-5 shaves per blade. If I just feel the blade isn't doing its thing I'll change it. 100 Astras and I've got more than a year of daily shaving for less than $15.

Herm

AGHisBBS, RyX, Frijolero and 5 others like this.
  8. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

I rotate through 31 different brands of blade between modern and vintage. I cap most at 3 or 4 shaves including the Astra SPs. I have stubble like copper wire and just don’t scrimp on any blades.

MacDaDad, AGHisBBS, RyX and 5 others like this.
  9. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

My beard is so course I that when I use my Weber DE Razor (I have had it for several years I wish they still made the complete razors instead of just the handles.)
    I change my blades every other shave. So basically I use a blade take it out of my Razor and clean it after each use, I use it twice and replace it with a fresh blade. I like Wilkinson Sword Classic Double Edge Razor Blades.
    If I don't use my Weber DE Razor I use a Gillette Fusion5 ProGlide features FlexBall™ Technology.
    When I use this razor I replace the blades daily, because I can't take the blade out and clean after each shave.

BigMark83, Somnos, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  10. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

One more question . Astra green I read is smoother and astra blue is sharper. Which is better for a newbie?

Somnos, RyX and Frijolero like this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I can get 6 shaves consistently regardless of blade, 3 shaves per edge. Some blades I can get an extra shave or 2 out of an edge but most get too dull for me to use after 3 shaves on an edge.

Somnos, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I have a very course beard, and I get a minimum of 6 or 7 shaves with the Astra SP, with 2 1/2 passes plus a little touch up. I have gotten up to around 11 or so shaves quite a few times. I’m a believer in letting the blade tell me when to change, versus automatically changing after 3 or 4 shaves. The Astra SP is one of my favorite blades. I use them in a Slim, Black Beauty, Super Speed, and a Tech. The SP is the green one. I’ve never tried the blue.

dbersh, Somnos, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  13. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Depends on the newbie. Myself, I find the blues to be smoother. (And sharper) I tend to get 5 or 6 shaves from one.

Somnos and Rob206 like this.
  14. Tobin Fetters

Tobin Fetters Member

Ymv

Somnos and RyX like this.
  15. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

I don't even really worry about it anymore. Blades are pretty cheap generally speaking. 2 or 3 shaves and I toss it and put in a new one.

16. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Ymv??

Somnos and RyX like this.
  17. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Your mileage may vary. This is a common statement because just about everything shave related behaves differently for each person.

As far as blades go, I consistently get 10 - 15 shaves from a blade, & could probably go a few more but change before it gets dull. This is true with Astra SP, Nacet, & GSB, my 3 top blades.

18. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Thank you. I wasn't sure what that meant and Google was no help lol

Somnos likes this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'd interpret that to be a keystroke short of "YMMV" meaning Your Mileage May Vary.

(See above) Technique can affect blade life. The angle of attack used by straight razor shavers is the most effective. When applied to double edge razors it tends to extend blade life. Also gives more pleasant results - less passes or razor burn.

Me, too. When they tug, I toss.

Part of that YMMV. So many variables to not just different people, but your lather each day, how you hold your razor, the air temperature and humidity, etc. For folks with tough beards changing blades more often ought to give more pleasant results.

Not sure if there really is a "newbie" blade. I've used Feather Hi-Stainless from early on. They have a reputation for being unforgiving. That can help you develop your razor handling technique quickly. Finding a blade that's a compromise between sharp & smooth is different for each shaver. While the subject gets discussed often, I guess you noticed TSD doesn't have a Forum specifically for this topic. Too much YMMV, or my preferred YOMV (Opinion).

That's my current plan. I used to count using a 6 sided die. As my technique and lathers improved I switched to 8 or 10 sided (former D&D player). Now I don't wonder, I just shave until I want a freshie. Blades are cheap.

20. Tobin Fetters

Tobin Fetters Member

your mileage may vary. I have a box of both in my shaved den, IIprefer one over the other depending on which razor I put them in.

Somnos, PatrickA51 and Rob206 like this.