The Haul: January 2019

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by RaZorBurn123, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Gillette Blue Tip Super Speed. It was a bucket list purchase to say I've owned one and might actually like shaving with it.
    btr.jpg btr2.jpg

AGHisBBS, Droo78, Linuxguile and 12 others like this.
  2. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

mrchick likes this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

This guy also came with the Briliant. Astra ...901?[​IMG]

4. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Some recent acquisitions.

Vintage Merkur Slant
    1919 Gillette Old Type (J series serial #)
    1957 (C4) Gillette Blue Tip

I really like the chromed case (marked on the bottom, "Made in Western Germany") but I cannot seem to remove the white on the handle of the Merkur. I've read about this, and not sure how I want to proceed. The seller stated he was listing it for a friend whose brother had owned it and was 86 years old.

I have been wanting a WWI military era Old Type. I know it's after the war had ended, but still a J series.

The Blue Tip will simply complement my B4 Red Tip and regular Flare Tips.

5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Is that white from zincification?

brit and Linuxguile like this.
  6. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

I am not sure. Of all the threads I have read pertaining to this issue, I have yet to see a definitive answer. Some thoughts presented are: white nickel, silver plating gone awry, the zinc oxidation, and even white paint. The head of the razor is perfect, so the white on the handle is merely cosmetic and does not affect the shave. I may just leave it alone, but I would still like to know what caused the coloration.

AGHisBBS, brit, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Rub your finger on it or a cloth see if it comes off. If it does and it is powdery or flaky it is most likely zinc rot unless it turns out to be some sort of paint. Lot of time a slightly abrasive metal polish will fix it if it is some sort of tarnish or oxidation as long as the underlying metal plate isn't compromised.

Droo78, AGHisBBS, brit and 1 other person like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Just in is my new J.A. Henckels Rapide. While I was waiting for it, I made this box for it. I put it through my sonic cleaner, and it came out great.

IMG_9516.JPG

IMG_9512.JPG IMG_9513.JPG IMG_9514.JPG

BigD, SHAVEWIZARD420, Droo78 and 14 others like this.
  9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

brit, TestDepth, RyX and 2 others like this.
  10. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

A big mail day here.

First, my prize from the current TSD raffle, courtesy of @Enrico, an interesting (and not scary looking) Soviet travel razor:
    IMG_0372.jpg I was surprised to see that he also included what appears to be a vintage Fuller Brush Co. letter opener.

Next, an eBay lot consisting of a tarnished, battered, and mismatched Tuckaway:
    IMG_0373.jpg IMG_0374.jpg
    Apparently, this was a Silver-plated set similar to this one:
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, the New Improved head has been replaced with a pre-War Tech one.

This lot also included an NOS(?) Keen Kutter razor:
    IMG_0375.jpg
    though the Keen Kutter was not my real interest in the lot. (If one of you is into these, I'd be willing to swap it for something else.)

BigD, dmshaver, Ron R and 15 others like this.
  11. jimjo1031

Same thing with my '36 Tuckaway with the short common handle. Head was replaced a tech head. Hard to find only New SC heads in nickle.

12. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Mail Call:- A Gillette Slim Twist 1960's made in England the razor looks brand new which hasn't been used, it's a real keeper in my den, I'll give her a shave later.

[​IMG][​IMG]

BigD, dmshaver, jimjo1031 and 14 others like this.
  13. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I remember that one; as I recall, I traded you for the Tech head (back when I had significantly fewer Techs). At least New SC heads are relatively plentiful and you could have one replated in Nickel relatively cheaply. OTOH, I don't think that New Improved heads are nearly as common. :-(

AGHisBBS, brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

at least one can replate a gold one..

jimjo1031 likes this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

thought i d would give them a go,one of decembers last items.. 20190109_215128.jpg

BigD, TestDepth, jimjo1031 and 9 others like this.
  16. jimjo1031

Yeah, they'll be harder to find.

Linuxguile and brit like this.
  17. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Why would you want to remove the white Nickel? From my understanding It’s the original plating and most who look for the non merkur “Hoffritz, Cole, Pomco” versions hope the white is intact. If you don’t want the white version if you post in the bst on some of the forums I’m sure there is someone who will trade you a standard plating merkur for it

18. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

You won’t be disappointed.

Linuxguile and brit like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

just arrived, christmas present from my lovely wife.. 20190110_184309.jpg

BigD, RyX, Ijustmissedthe50s and 10 others like this.
  20. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

The Rockwell T looks nice! Please read my sarcastic comment below.

QUOTE="SpeedyPC, post: 1517626, member: 17096"]Mail Called:- My Rockwell Model T has arrived today in the Land of OZ

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And also another package is my birth year razor Gillette Black Short Handle Adjustable S2 1972

[​IMG]I am still waiting for my Model T gunmetal that has been on preorder since Sept 26, 2018. Hopefully, I will get it sometime before Independence Day 2019.[/QUOTE]

BigD, Sparrow, RyX and 13 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.