Blade disposal?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by CrustyCat, Jan 11, 2019.

1. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

Just kind of curious. How do you guys dispose of your blades? Blade bank, homemade or purchased? Trash? Or like me, the wall of my house via the little slot in the medicine cabinet.

2. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I use the back of a DE/SS Razor blade dispense. When it's full I wrap it with duct tape or shipping tape which ever one is handy and put it in the commercial trash dumpster outside our condo. Before moved to our condo, I used the slot in the medicine cabinet . Like you use.

3. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Purchased (Feather) blade bank.

I figured the five bucks I paid for it wouldn't hurt too much!

4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Took a tall thin cookie tin, cut a slot in the lid, glued the lid down and I think it is almost half full after 5 years.

5. brit

brit in a box

blade bank so far,but modding an cool old tin for future , will hold hundreds..

BigD, PatrickA51, CrustyCat and 2 others like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I use a plastic container that held breath mints. Cost nothing since my grandkids eat my mints like candy. Got one almost filled up that I'll wrap in heavy tape and toss.
    blade bank.gif

BigD, brit, PatrickA51 and 4 others like this.
  7. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Having been born a smart-alec, my first impulse is to say "apples", but someone is bound to take me seriously.

Actually, I store them in an old prescription bottle for disposal. Our town has a sharps disposal container at the police station, so when the prescription bottle is full I empty it into that. Since we live alone, and even our youngest grandchild is school age, there's no safety issue.

NTR, BigD, brit and 6 others like this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Same here. I take my blades to a pharmacy that accepts used sharps for disposal.

BigD, brit, PatrickA51 and 5 others like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I make my own blade disposal containers.

blade safe5.jpg blade_bank2.jpg blade safe3s.jpg

battle.munky, KUSTOM, NTR and 9 others like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I do what most think is crazy .... re-wrap it in its original paper and snap it three times and toss it in the garbage. Not nearly as dangerous as the broken glass you dump in the garbage.

brit, CrustyCat, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  11. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Like the OP I use the slot in my medicine cabinet.

brit, RyX, BigD and 1 other person like this.
  12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

When I joined TSD sometime in 2010, there was a thread similar to this thread. The best solution for me was to grab a can of broth, punch a knife into the center, drain the broth for another use, and rinse the can out.

I am still using the same can. I figure it is about 3/4 full now.

The purpose of the broth can is that the can is easier to rinse clean, whereas a soup can has particulates that can stay behind and rot, and therefore permeate your shaveden with funky odors.

Another benefit is that the entire unit is steel, so recycling is a valid option.

IMG_20190111_161307097-600x800.jpg

battle.munky, brit, RyX and 9 others like this.
  13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

This is exactly what I do as well...

battle.munky, KUSTOM, Jack19 and 5 others like this.
  14. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Metal blade bank and then recycle.

After remodeling a bathroom and having several hundred razor blades to contend with I vowed to never do that to the next person who decides to redo the wall.

BigMark83, brit, RyX and 4 others like this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Wish I had one of those...plaster walls. :angry019:

brit, CrustyCat and Frijolero like this.
  16. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

I use the back of a plastic blade dispenser. When full, I rotate to the front or top side. Once they are in there so snug they don't move, I toss in the recycling.

brit, RyX and CrustyCat like this.
  17. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

7E5B3E8D-F992-4976-AFDF-B6EAC15D6255.jpeg

I make my own blade bank out of two empty K-cups. It lasts a pretty long time before I have to toss it, and only takes a very small amount of space in my medicine cabinet.

If you want something a little bigger, Jello snack-pack containers would work very well.

brit, RyX, BigD and 2 others like this.
  18. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

I've never actually done this, but have seen it done. Looks relatively easy.

I would probably feel the same way after opening a wall. I've seen pictures. The house is 40 years old, so there is a possibility that there are already some there, or not.

Frijolero, brit, BigD and 2 others like this.
  19. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

That sounds about very close to the standard answer around this neighborhood :happy093::angry017: :signs136:

Frijolero, brit and RyX like this.
  20. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Given the evil laugh, I have to ask - the first paragraph or the second? :shocked003:

PatrickA51 likes this.