Shaving Soap in Thailand

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Metro_Tiger, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Metro_Tiger

Metro_Tiger New Member

Have been living in Thailand now for 14 years and am a wet shave diehard. BUT it is so damned hard to find good products here... Until now. No one shaves here... But. I have found a made in Thailand shaving soap that is as good as any I have used back home or imported at ridiculous prices.

Jack Jarvis - Man Of Siam (You can google them) They have two soaps that they make in Chiang Mai - Thai Ginger Zest shaving soap and Cadwgawn Original shaving soap (Strange name) I purchased both based on the reviews and wasn't disappointed. Fantastic lather, great scents, and the post shave feeling is superb.

I would rate these soaps as highly, if not better than many of the high priced so called best. It is good to see someone in Thailand taking the initiative to join the wet shave community and supply a fantastic product. Who would have ever guessed a world class shaving soap made in Thailand? Go figure, lol, no one shaves here, lol.

cadwgawn.jpg

2. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

My sister in law just moved to Thailand 2 months ago. I'd have her send me some Thai soaps but I'm really enjoying not having to talk to her. That's worth more than good soap.

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I've purchased shaving products from vendors in Canada and the UK and blades from Russia, Singapore, and Bulgaria. I shop around and look for reasonable shipping fees to the US. I'm not familiar with shipping to Thailand, but it may be worth checking around if you want to try some different products.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  4. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

That's cool that you found a good go to soap.

Out of curiosity what is the cadwgawn scent profile like?

Also cool that you live in chiang mai. One of my co workers is Thai and he went to chiang mai last year. He said it's a really nice place and is going back there next month.

He said he may even retire there. Did some research and it seems like you can live a good lifestyle.

Hope to travel over there and see it for myself.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Ijustmissedthe50s and Frijolero like this.
  5. Metro_Tiger

Metro_Tiger New Member

I guess that means you wont be visiting anytime soon, :)

brit likes this.
  6. Metro_Tiger

Metro_Tiger New Member

Thailand's great and yes, can live a great lifestyle. They say they have a winter, but really it is just a less warm summer. The Cadwgawn is a soft spice kind of scent with essential oils used being French Lavender, Rosemary, Clove. Both soaps have a nice scent, and are great to use. We get spoilt here, it comes in 240 grams for approximately $18 USD. The 100 gram at around $10 USD but yes, the shipping could be a killer from Thailand.

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @Metro_Tiger. You should take a moment and introduce yourself in The Welcome Center.

I visited the Man Of Siam website. Though there is some information such as that the soap formula is FDA approved by officials in Thailand, I didn't find an ingredients list or much of a scent description. Those two bits of information are crucial for many buyers.
    (EDIT; You posted as I was composing - thanks for the scent info!)

I also noted a review of a Rubberset 400 replica, but didn't see it listed in the brushes section. The particular model, a T-400 sounds just like the brush produced by TSD member Steve @Vlasta. ( Are these your Steve? :))

8. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    You they’re mine! I bought both the soaps too. They are both superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  9. Metro_Tiger

Metro_Tiger New Member

Ah, will get onto the welcome center shortly. I checked the website and it has all listed under the ingredients tab. Not sure if it shows up on mobile? Im older, I still use a desktop :) It states all 100% natural products, and yes FDA approved here.

INGREDIENTS

Saponified oils of Organic Coconut, Olive, Castor, Grape Seed, Organic Argan Oil, Organic Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Organic Glycerine, Silk Amino Acid, Bentonite Clay, Wild Honey, Aloe Vera, Stearic Acid, Vitamin E.

ESSENTIAL OILS

French Lavender, Rosemary, Clove.

brit, Frijolero, Vlasta and 1 other person like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

No worries about age, we could have been in the same class at school. Thanks for bouncing the info! I might have missed the tab when viewing the website.

Hey Steve @Vlasta! Good to see you've found another vendor. I'm not one to joggle someones elbow but... Is the Chubberset 400 still on the horizon?

Frijolero, Vlasta and Metro_Tiger like this.
  11. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    Th C-400 is coming soon. There will also be a Ti-400 at some point as well as some acrylic offerings.

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  12. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    In fact in the spirit of openness I have come to expect here on TSD, I am a collaborator with Man of Siam. We will be jointly launching an expansion of the Alpha brand with some soaps, brushes and some exciting collaborations with a well known knot and brush maker!! Watch this space, a Storm is coming!!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Frijolero, RyX and Metro_Tiger like this.
  13. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

No, no time soon.

brit likes this.
  14. Thaipete

Thaipete Member

Take care when you visit Chiang Mai - for 3 months of the year it is unliveable due to the air polution

15. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

I've heard that from around mid to late February to around the end of April is the burning season there.

While I don't have any rose scented shave products. If they expand their line. They should make one, it would be fitting since Chiang Mai is known as the rose of the North.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Frijolero like this.