I don't know how you guys who wet shave do it at a sink...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Oldschoolpaulie, Jan 15, 2019.

1. I just got out of "shower jail" after being home for a week after a knee replacement. Besides the relief of being able to take a shower today, I HATED shaving at the sink.
    First, it takes twice as long as shaving in the shower with all of the "hand"-rinsing between each pass.
    You have to constantly bend over at the waist to keep the water off the floor, (As well, after a knee replacement you can't risk getting the site wet) so your back is aching the whole time. (I also have lower back injuries)
    So much easier to shave standing fully erect, where a full rinse consists of simply moving your head under the shower head for a few seconds. Bonus, you get to wash another towel with each shave.

Usually takes me about 20 minutes to shave in the shower, and about 35 at the sink. Apparently, having the hot water washing over you helps with the shave, too, because my "sink" shave was never as smooth.
    Just my two cents.

macaronus, Frijolero, Lancre and 5 others like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

20 to 35 minutes to shave?

Shaver X, BigMike, Weasel640 and 3 others like this.
  3. Yes.

Frijolero, Paul76 and brit like this.
  4. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

Doesn't take me that long. No stooping. Just an extra towel for the front of the sink.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Hammer8, Shaver X, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I do not have to bend over. I also like making lather and such. That is what traditional wet shaving is to me. I guess you could make lather in the shower. Sounds kinda bass ackwards though.

You sound like a cart garbage user.

I hope the knee gets better fast.

Shaver X, Frijolero, Trigger and 3 others like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

For me the shower would be more difficult, making the lather, bending over to pick think[gs up from the floor not to mention handleimg a straight. When I remodeled my bath I had all the counter set higher so I don’t have to bend over. I hope your knee heals quickly.

7. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I used to shave in the shower with a cartridge and gel, and I agree that was simpler.

With a DE I'd struggle to keep the lather from getting washed off my face, I'd have to walk backwards and forwards to collect stuff from the other end of the bath, and I'd waste a TONNE of water with the shower running while I shave.

And with a straight? Forget it. Very difficult in the shower. Tiny mirrors, fogging... lots of small issues taking away from your focus and experience.

For me I really like the lack of water waste, and having surfaces to place things on by the sink. That's about it!

8. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Although I do admit, without the "hand washing" lather etc, it would probably take me less time to shave in the shower. Maybe half it, including cleaning and packing up all the gear

brit, Frijolero and Keithmax like this.
  9. DE razor.

10. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I do both.

If I'm in a hurry I'll use an injector razor in the shower. Injectors (for me) let me shave without soap/cream if I apply pre-shave oil before jumping in. Or if I'm washing my hair I can use a little shampoo.

At the sink I could see where @Keithmax 's solution with the higher counter tops would work well. Lower back issues can easily be exacerbated with that slight bend forward that keeps you over the sink.

I use the same towel for both shower and shave and I don't wash it after every shower. Sometimes in the summer when the humidity is high I might pop it in the clothes dryer for a bit but mostly it just hangs dry using the curtain rod.

Another remodeling idea I've had would be to have a counter edge that lets you stand closer (rather than a straight counter) and maybe with a narrow tray built in right at the front to make it hard to knock small objects on the floor.

Hammer8, macaronus, brit and 3 others like this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It only takes me 20-25 minutes, to shower and Straight Razor Shave.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Even clean shaven, mine clock in around 3-4 minutes.

brit, Frijolero and Keithmax like this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Don't share the OP's opinion. I like shaving at the sink just fine. :)

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Like many women, I routinely shave in the shower. Keeping water from rinsing off my skin & brush unintentionally has never been a problem. But it helps to adjust the angle of the shower head.

Paul Turner, brit, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  15. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I admit that I am very new to Wet Shaving, but so far, I love shaving at the sink. All my stuff, is right out in front of me, in easy reach and I have developed a kind of ritual, that I follow and Love it! Could not do that in a shower! It takes me about 20 minutes, but I am in no hurry and try to enjoy every minute!

Shaver X, BlaydRunner, brit and 6 others like this.
  16. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

When I was a kid a couple of old timers that I knew shaved at the kitchen sink with their straight razors. It would seem unusual for me to shave in the shower, never done it. Done the knee thing though. Only one more knee and 2 hips to go.
    [​IMG]

macaronus, gorgo2, Spyder and 9 others like this.
  17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Now that is a man's scar @Bama Samurai
    I hope your recovery is quick and complete.

brit, Frijolero, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  18. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Ouch........hope you get better.

BlaydRunner, brit, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  19. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Since I use a straight there is no way to shave in the shower, don’t need a razor being dropped and lopping anything off. I understand the problems with a bad knee leaning forward. Hope it heals up soon.

BlaydRunner, brit, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  20. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

No worry there my stomach is too big.