Is tallow based better?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Rob206, Jan 14, 2019.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I think most of the time they are better, but I have no hard evidence to support that.

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I agree with this too!!

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I love it when we agree. :eatdrink047:

wristwatchb, wchnu, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  4. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Tallow is not necessarily better. A soap has properties that come from the saponification reaction (fat+lye) of whatever oil is used. Some of these properties (that nobody really cares about) would be Stearic, Palmitic, Oleic, Myristic... This would be the scientific way of saying the soap is hard or soft, thick lather or thin lather, conditioning or drying. These traits are found in beef tallow naturally in a pretty good ratio. You can use a blend of various veggie fats to get to similar numbers in these categories, but tallow is a good starting point and it's traditional. Traditional is kind of a big deal in wet shaving. I am a tallow supporter!

Michael_W, Arnout, BamaT and 6 others like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I try to not let it happen too often.

6. brit

brit in a box

most of my soaps are tallow with a few great non tallow soaps and creams ,all the stuff i have works good..

awk-m4, Frijolero and Rob206 like this.
  7. Primotenore

Article Team
    I am quite aware, thank you. :)

Frijolero, Rob206 and RyX like this.
  8. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Cake.
    Wheat flour has been the go-to, tried and true ingredient central to baking since forever. Will the best cake in the world be made from wheat flour? Probably. Will the worst cake you ever ate be made with wheat flour? It's possible. Could the best cake ever made be gluten-free? Absolutely. The success or failure of a cake will come from the balance of the ingredients used and the techniques applied. I get a laugh out of all the novelty ingredients used in shave soaps nowadays. The soap isn't good because there's donkey milk in it, it's a well-balanced soap that happens to contain donkey milk.

9. Flipper

Flipper Member

Maybe it's because of the topic, but as I was skimming by I read this as "lard evidence".

10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

:rofl:

Michael_W, brit and Frijolero like this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Try all and decided

brit, RyX, Frijolero and 1 other person like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

the hype and the gullible...

13. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

In some cases, I think it's all hype. When a great product is made we should celebrate the mastery of the maker, then acknowledge the ingredients.

Boru62, brit, Rob206 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ska SF

Ska SF Member

I don't see tallow based bar soaps too often. What have you found?

Frijolero likes this.
  15. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Stirling soap company

16. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

I agree entirely and I (like many) have used naff tallow soaps but most of the soaps best for my skin are tallow.
    I'm UK based but I use a Spanish soap, Alvarez Gomez and I only discovered that because I like their cologne.
    There must be some tallow bath soap in the US.

17. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

Thanks, going to see if there are UK stockists, I really like their shaving soap.

Frijolero and Rob206 like this.
  18. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Mitchell's Wool Fat makes bath soap, don't they?

Michael_W, PLAla, Boru62 and 3 others like this.
  19. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

I made a batch of tallow bath soap once. I have all the beef fat I need from my shop so I thought I should give it a try. Worked out really well.

brit, Frijolero and Rob206 like this.
  20. Primotenore

Article Team
    Yes, indeed and it's a great bar of soap that lathers like a dream and lasts a long time.

chazt, brit, lightcs1776 and 2 others like this.