January 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2018.

?

What is your New Year shaving related resolution?

1. I'm going to do the hardest of all - a No-Buy '19

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. I'm going to try shaving with straight razors (pain sticks included)

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. I'm going to reduce the number of soaps in my den

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. I'm going to buy everything in sight and build an addition to hold it all!!

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. I'm going to shave. Simple, right?

30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  6. I'm going to eat more cookies. Or donuts. Or ice cream.

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Very nice Gary.
    tp

brit, Norcalnewb, FaceScraper and 3 others like this.
  2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks Jim! thumbsup.gif

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

4. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Never tried mentholated anything Rick, thought about it some. I didn't think about the numbing effect that might happen. I dont even like a drop of water on me while I shave. It
    distracts from the job at hand.
    Thanks for the info!
    tp

5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Well ain't that a nice piece of steel Neal!
    Very, very nice!
    tp

6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Nice picture' Nice set.
    I love RR-MF, but gota watch saying it out loud, even if you pronounce it correctly, you get a "What?"
    tp

7. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

January 17th
    Gillette Flare Tip w Astra SP (2)
    Jeeves Key Lime SS
    30DC LE
    Thayers
    Chatillon Lux Bon Vivant AS
    img2.jpg
    Very early morning shave, late afternoon post. Whipped up another exceptional lather and the Flare Tip did a great job of knocking it down. Mild, yes. Lack of blade feel, yes. Effective? Absolutely.
    Had a 2 hour drive this morning after shaving and got to smell like a Bon Vivant all by myself. One more day with the Flare Tip and then it is time to move on to another neglected razor.
    Have a great evening all!

mrchick, Norcalnewb, Terry and 11 others like this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Love the filter effect Jim. :happy088:

Thank you.

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Your photos always have such warm tones. Bravo.

10. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Terry. I'm enjoying the alphabetical progression through my soaps. It has me using stuff that otherwise gets neglected. I may start over from the beginning and do it all again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Excellent progress, the closeness will come.

12. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Thank you, Clint.

Norcalnewb, FaceScraper, jluc and 2 others like this.
  13. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

FYI, be careful. My confidence, on occasion, has become overconfidence, which becomes injury. It’s a fine line.

14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Well it's been a rough afternoon. Had to put down one of our dogs today. He had a persistent cough for the last couple of months and today they found a tumor on his heart. We had him since he was 8 weeks old. He had a special place in our hearts and family for the last 9 years. We will miss you Rooney.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

15. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

So sorry to hear this, Andrew. My condolences. Pets really do become part of the family.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'll jump in here and then see if anyone has already made my point. Daring, I know. The lather from mutton tallow soap is, to me, thicker feeling (read as luxurious) and slicker than beef tallow soap lather. It's a difference in the quality. Not that mutton is a 'higher quality" but a "slicker and more protective quality". There is definitely a musky odor to mutton tallow soap (Stirling Sheep is "unscented" but as @RyX pointed out there is an odor there. It's not offensive, just there. It also explains why you can't do certain scents with it.

Comparing the Sheep to MWF is a bit trickier to me. I have never been able to determine the tallow used in Mitchell's. We know it features lanolin, which is also present in mutton tallow, but the two are different by-products of the sheep. I have emailed Mitchell's on a couple of occasions asking what kind of tallow they use and the silence I have been answered with is deafening. Either they think I'm some sort of weirdo who is way too into soaps (a reasonable theory) or else I'm someone trying to copy their formula. I've phrased the question to them in a way that I thought would let them know I'm not that guy.

So, the scent of MWF with its light "clean linen smell" may be easier to get if it isn't actual mutton tallow, but only lanolin added to beef tallow. We've seen those kinds of soaps before - TSD Lanolin soaps come to mind.

wristwatchb, brit, mrchick and 11 others like this.
  17. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear. Losing a dog is tough. Hang in there bud

wristwatchb, Norcalnewb, RyX and 5 others like this.
  18. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Well this morning, before putting the I Coloniali Mango on the BST, I decided to break out the boar brush, and load it like it owed me money. I also took Joseph’s @Primotenore advice and bloomed it. This combination produced better lather, but I’m still not impressed. The results were good, though. The Slim, cranked up to 9 for the first time, gave me a really close shave in 2 passes. Not a BBS, but better 2 pass results than I’ve gotten before. I may repeat this combo tomorrow and see if I can improve on it. One thing that cannot be improved upon is the Chatillon Lux - Yuzu Rose & Patchouli AS. I’m addicted to that stuff like crack.

wristwatchb, brit, mrchick and 12 others like this.
  19. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Sorry for your loss, Andrew. :(

20. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Nice Jim, very nice!
    Good looking razors.
    tp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.