January 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2018.

?

What is your New Year shaving related resolution?

1. I'm going to do the hardest of all - a No-Buy '19

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. I'm going to try shaving with straight razors (pain sticks included)

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. I'm going to reduce the number of soaps in my den

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. I'm going to buy everything in sight and build an addition to hold it all!!

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. I'm going to shave. Simple, right?

30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  6. I'm going to eat more cookies. Or donuts. Or ice cream.

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Thank you Randy! I’m pickin’ up what you’re puttin’ down! :)
    I’m doing my absolute best to always respect the razor, because I know that it’ll have zero hesitation to bite if I don’t. I do try to shave with confident, deliberate strokes now. The first few shaves were, naturally, rather fearful. Once a little bit of comfort set in, and the grips started feeling better, the shaves began to improve dramatically. Shaving with an open blade is a different game, as you are well aware. There’s no safety net.
    I’m glad that I’m doing this focus. So far I’ve learned that it’s something that I can do, despite how incredibly awkward it feels in the very beginning - and that I can achieve a great shave with one. What I want to avoid is cockiness. Confidence is one thing, stupidity is another.
    I know that I’ll make more mistakes. I only hope they continue to be minor ones.

wristwatchb, brit, mrchick and 10 others like this.
  2. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

:happy088::happy088: Troy! :happy088::happy088:!
    tp

3. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

01/17/2019

Oneblade Synthetic Shaving Brush
    Salsa Bowl – Timeless Bowl Scuttle
    Murphy & McNeil - Crann Bethadh Shaving Soap
    Nivea Sensitive Post Balm
    Voskhod Blade - Shimmed
    King Razor

First let me just say a couple of months ago I would not have tried something like this. Y'all are getting me out of my comfort zone.

I received the King razor a couple of days ago and finally got the thing polished up today. The King uses propriety blades which I do not have but why let a little thing like the incorrect blade stop you. I used a shimmed Voskhod blade because one DE blade fits loose in the razor. I trimmed the sharp edges off of an old blade and added it on top of the Voskhod. The blade now will not move around when the cap is secured. I had some trouble aligning the blade and shim but finally got the blade where it needed to be.

So how does it shave. Not as bad as I thought it would. There is definitely some blade chatter and noise from the gear even though it is not rotating due to the incorrect blade. The blade can flex a little along the cutting edge due the blade edge resting on three dimples on each side. This is where the chattering is coming from.

The Crann Bethadh shaving soap did an excellent job due to it slickness. This probably helped as well.

Finished up with alum which was a slightly warm on the neck but the checks were great. Applied some Nivea post balm.

O.K. Would I shave with it again. It sure will not make a daily driver but I will shave with it in the future, just not very often. It would also be interesting to see how this razor would perform with a original sharp blade. It is a very interesting razor and concept.

Y'all take care and and have a good night.

20190117_195752.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    wristwatchb, brit, mrchick and 12 others like this.
  4. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thank you, Terry!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. FaceScraper

I’m so sorry for your loss of Rooney, Andrew. Pets truly become family and touch our lives, and it’s so hard when they leave.

6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am so sorry for your loss Andrew. Pets do become such a big part of our life.

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Norcalnewb, FaceScraper, RyX and 3 others like this.
  8. FaceScraper

Shave number thirteen with the Parker.

Parker SRX
    Astra S/P
    CRSW Le Chypre Sombre
    Stirling - best value for a badger brush
    CL Unconditional Surrender

A couple of minor angle mistakes, which resulted in a couple of weepers. Aside from that, it was another DE quality finish. Twelve hours later, and I’m still fairly smooth.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wristwatchb, brit, mrchick and 9 others like this.
  9. Hembree

Jason great photo and gear......those Flares are just great classic razors!

10. Hembree

Andrew, I am so sorry for the loss of Rooney. That is a tough decision to have to make but it is for the best. My son lost one of his horses last year and we cried our eyes out. He was a very great old "man". They do have a place in our hearts.

11. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Wow! No guesses, eh? Well, I think I'm going to have to reveal who it was because I don't think anyone would have gotten it. George "Gabby" Hayes! George_Gabby_Hayes_1953.JPG

wristwatchb, brit, mrchick and 10 others like this.
  12. Hembree

Thanks Clint. :happy088:

Norcalnewb, FaceScraper, jluc and 2 others like this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great shave Bruce. You have made excellent progress with the shavette. Now that you're moving to the dark side can I call dibs on any cool DE or SE razors? :D

14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Tough to lose a beloved pet/friend. Sorry Andrew.

15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thank you, Gentlemen.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

16. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thank you Joseph and Danny.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

17. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Cool Andrew, I have a few of those razors. Amazing how well they shave especially with a Feather blade. Glad you posted about them, some are fearful of the cheap little razor, no real reason to be. Your post is great for those that need a cheap travel razor, that works. The blades that came with them were so dull I could not use them. But with the right blade, you can get a fine shave.
    Great shave!
    :happy088::happy088:
    tp

18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Good start Randy,
    Now I am going to suggest you grate the puck and press it back into its container. (If you have an espresso tamper, they work best. Put a sheet of plastic wrap between the soap and the tamper) Tomorrow, bloom it again. Then report back. I Coloniali is one of the hardest and driest soaps I have ever used.

19. FaceScraper

Wonderful photo, Jim! Gotta love the Karve!

20. FaceScraper

Fantastic photo and shave, Jason! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.