January 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2018.

?

What is your New Year shaving related resolution?

1. I'm going to do the hardest of all - a No-Buy '19

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. I'm going to try shaving with straight razors (pain sticks included)

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. I'm going to reduce the number of soaps in my den

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. I'm going to buy everything in sight and build an addition to hold it all!!

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. I'm going to shave. Simple, right?

30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  6. I'm going to eat more cookies. Or donuts. Or ice cream.

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Nice shave, Randy! Question about the CL Yuzu Rose...how much rose scent is there? I was thinking that you aren’t a floral guy...which kinda makes me wonder if it’s one that I’d enjoy. Typically, I dislike any floral scents (except lavender).

2. FaceScraper

Cool razor and photo, Danny - and great report! It’s an interesting piece of hardware.

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

I saw a DE similar to this in an antique shop. Do the gears on the cap make the base plate & blade slide left/right?

4. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Thanks Bruce.

Linuxguile, clint64, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I make my own hand / bar soap using lard. It doesn't lather a bunches compared to some soap. I have found that it doesn't dry out my skin like store bought soaps do. I get a good cleaning, even when I have stuff like car grease on the hands.
    Also stopped the itching I had in the wintertime on my legs.
    Lard? Yep, lard!
    tp

6. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Actually the blade slides back and forth in between the base plate and top cap. A regular DE blade will lock the oscillating feature. This video will explain better than I can. Thanks.

7. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thank Jim.

Linuxguile, clint64, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  8. FaceScraper

Thanks, Clint!
    Time will tell how deep into the dark side I go, which is the reason for the Parker experiment. I could end up being just a weekend warrior. However, the possibility exists that it’ll win me over and become a regular thing.
    The coolest razor that I own, you already have! ;)

9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Been there.....
    Sorry to hear it.
    :(
    tp

10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

17 January, MMXIX A.D.

[​IMG]

Parker SRX
    Derby
    @jtspartan crafted Tuxedo
    JoHS 30DC LE "Blood on Steel"

If one is a newbie looking for DE based shavette, start here. The stainless construction adds heft and glide to each stroke. Two passes to DFS.

Unseasonably warm, dogs wanted to hunt again today. Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a fantastic Friday!

:)

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

January - Shavettes and Jeeves!

January 17 - Blade Trials

Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (9)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - The Canuck
    Post - Alum

Final trial shave for the Vi-John Super Stainless. The Slim is on "me" and ready to go and the Canuck turned the Arko into its usual easy and magnificent lather. I can say that I'm feeling just a bit of roughness with the blade at this setting and that may be because of the razor or it could also be the third shave effect on the blade. My experience with Indian blades reminds me that they aren't always the longest lasting in the stash. However, the overall feel was still smooth and the result was fine. I managed to remember the little cut by my ear and adjust to the cap as I went over that so no blood tonight. Three passes, the baby is in the house and the alum is barely beginning to talk a little. As I said, not usually the longest lasting blades but more than capable, nevertheless.

I would have to give the Vi-John an A- for its performance in the trial. It seems to prefer a middle to aggressive style razor though it performed well in the mild setting as well. Just had to work a bit harder there. No bloody messes, no screaming alum - I'd say it's a fine blade and would be fine in a pinch when the shavepocalypse happens! Still to come, it's platinum brother.

More winter weather on the way for the STL area, though not supposed to be as bad as last weekend. We'll see. Hope your Friday leads you into the weekend in fine style!

January 17 2019.jpg

Trigger, Linuxguile, Hembree and 16 others like this.
  12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Terrific picture, Jason!

13. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Clint!

14. Norcalnewb

Sorry to hear this, Andrew.

15. Norcalnewb

Great picture, Danny!

16. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Great post Danny! I too have one of these. Mine cleaned up nice. After I get the open blade focus done, gonna go through some that I haven't used yet.
    Good read!
    tp

17. Norcalnewb

Beautiful picture, Bruce!

Thank you!

Linuxguile, Hembree, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  18. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Long day today. Sorry I haven't been around and able to comment and discuss. I'll say this is my 9,000th post on TSD. I'm glad to be posting it here in the 30 Day Crew!

Trigger, Troy M, Linuxguile and 16 others like this.
  19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Congrats on the 9000!!!:bounce017::bounce017::bounce017: Glad you're a part of the crew! We couldn't do it without you!

Trigger, Linuxguile, Hembree and 8 others like this.
  20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Congrats on 9000 posts, Perry!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.