Aligning a razor with the scales

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lightcs1776, Jan 19, 2019.

1. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I finally got around to honing my straight razor (yep, the only one). I was surprised how easy it was to get a good edge. However, I am concerned about keeping that edge. I have to be careful closing the blade, otherwise it will catch on the one side of the scales. Is there a way to correct this? Thanks for any help.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Frijolero, Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Personally I don’t have a problem nudging the blade to center, however @DaltonGang , I believe, used some hot water process.

3. lightcs1776

I will have to look it up. It isn't an issue until I forget, and hit the one side.

Frijolero, Karl G and Spyder like this.
  4. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Are the scales warped or is the blade loose?
    If it is warped, with the blade open at a 90 degree, place a Popsicle stick between the scales and place in a quart size freezer bag. Bring a pot with water deep enough to cover the scales to a boil and prepare a bowl of ice water.
    Take the pot off the fire and immerse the scales into the water. Check after about 20 seconds to see if the scales have become pliable, When they have, use your hands to correct the warp, actually over correct a bit, then still holding the correction, plunge into the ice water until cool.
    If the warp isn't fully corrected, repeat the process.
    The Popsicle stick keeps the scales from closing up and the bag protects the scales from mineral spots or blemishes the water might cause. Taping the edge ofthe blade is a good idea as well.

If the blade is loose or everything appears straight, you can make minor adjustments by tapping the pivot pin. Determine the direction you want the blade to move and tap the top of the pin on the opposite side several times Then tap the bottom of the pin in the direction you want to move the blade, about the same number of taps. Repeat until the blade is centered or no longer hits the scale on closing.

[​IMG]

Spyder, Frijolero, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  5. lightcs1776

OK, I have looked into aligning the blade and have determined the scales are not warped. I believe I need to work on adjusting the blade via the pin. I am having difficulty finding a lot of information on how to adjust it, although I did find one older article. I appreciate any pointers as I look to resolve this issue.

Frijolero, Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  6. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

I use a Jeweler Ball Pein Hammer and Anvil ​

Frijolero, Keithmax and lightcs1776 like this.
  7. lightcs1776

Do you hit the side that the razor hits or the other side? [​IMG][​IMG]

Keithmax and Frijolero like this.
  8. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Joamo already posted fix . Just use a light touch .Too much force can break scale or pin .

lightcs1776 likes this.
  9. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Hint

There can be three separate issues causing this

#1 and the easiest to fix Warped scales = Dip them in boiling water or hold them in steam and bend them where they need to go, there are a few techniques that work

#2 Misaligned or bent pivot pin = Repin / Re-drill the pivot hole, sometimes tapping the pins can get the razor to move in the scales as described above

#3 Warped or Twisted Blade = This is the hard one as you must actually warp or build the scale "around" the blade issues

You have to figure out why the blade is hitting the scale to figure out how to solve the problem

This is when it gets fun hehehe you can see in these two pics just how far off the razor is

[​IMG]

[​IMG]