Least favorite?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ordinaryshaver, Jan 20, 2019.

1. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Concord Razor. Unlike the Concord Razor Blade, this thing is cheaply made, hard to align the blade, and just not a great performer. However, I'd put up with it before shaving with a cartridge any day of the week.

brit, Keithmax and Frijolero like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Gillette Techmatic and that german two bladed de razor. Both were unusable and had massive inherent design flaws.

In the techmatic's case, the natural curve of the unwinding blade meant you never had a flat edge surface to shave off of. Part of that could be due to the age of the cartridge...but a blade that doesn't store well would be a non- starter anyways.

The double DE razor is just a hot mess entirely. The handle is the only redeeming feature, though i wouldn't buy the razor for just the handle.

3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Well there goes your big surprise. I was going to lend you my ER 1909. As it is the father of the 1924. You would hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

brit, Frijolero and Keithmax like this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Now jest a second there. That is a whole nother kettle of fish.....I bet the 1909 is nicer to shave with.

brit, Frijolero and twhite like this.
  5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Oh it is it is. Unfortunately now you will never know

jmudrick, brit and Frijolero like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Po' Fuzzy

brit, Primotenore and Frijolero like this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Ok ok.

I will send it your way later this week. The last thing we need is for a grumpy old man moping around the forum.

RyX, jmudrick, brit and 2 others like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Who you calling.....oh wait....

RyX, brit, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  9. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Another grumpy old man, that is.

jmudrick, brit, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  10. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Least favorite...that I have kept and intend to keep. Long handled 1983 Super Adjustable. It's just not aggressive enough for my taste, plus, I like a shorter handle, closer to Fatboy, Fatip Grande, or ATT Atlas length.

So, why do I keep it, then? It's my only successful wild find so far. Technically, my wife found it. I had been looking for a 1981 (my birth year). We stopped in an antique shop on a whim while wandering around downtown Gilbert, AZ on my birthday a few years ago. My wife asked the owners if they had any vintage shaving stuff and they pulled it NOS in a pile of random stuff from behind the counter. My wife bought it for my birthday for like $12.

RyX, PastorAndy914, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  11. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I agree. For many years I shaved exclusively with adjustables and the Progress was my least favorite. Oddly, my favorite was the Parker Variant when it was introduced and it's clearly based on the Progress.

12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

And this will be a good test of Fuzzy's credibility..
    I don't know how anybody could not love the '09.

brit and twhite like this.
  13. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I really like Gillette TTO razors, and most of my small collection are of that variety. However, my least favourite of them are the later black handled ones whether they are Super Speeds or adjustables.

Now, functionally they are just fine and I can get just as good a shave with one of them as I can with any other razor, but by the late 50's Gillette had started to look for penny pinching shortcuts in their manufacturing processes and by the late 60's to mid 70's they had reduced the amount of brass, thinned the plating and even used plastic for some parts like the bottom plates. Even the plastic cases became cheaper and flimsier. Give me a solid, heavier, better plated 40's or 50's Gillette any day!

[​IMG]

Frijolero, MacDaDad, brit and 3 others like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

my birthyear tto is a black handled superspeed,i rarely use it .it shaves fine but feels cheap.i prefer my m-4 slim..gillettes last all brass razor..

15. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

1918 Bulldog (shaving only). It's just to darn aggressive. I've tried about a dozen blades and going really slow to no avail. It's the only razor of about 50 (including R41) that I haven't tamed. Having said that it's one of my favorites (in a Military Set) for collection purposes. I wish it's wasn't so but....
    IMG_1438 (2).JPG

Primotenore likes this.
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Are we sure the head isn't damaged as so many are? It should not be that hard to tame.

preidy likes this.
  17. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Nope. The razor is in excellent condition. Blade alignment looks good. One thing the comb points seem very sharp. I know it makes no sense. My 06 Single Ring is one of my favorite and best shavers. Nary any irritation with any of my other Old Type Single Rings (5) and my Double Ring.

brit likes this.
  18. Rob72

Rob72 Member

Anything "mild", led by the SS. Speaking of the Supply, I enjoyed it at first, but became irritated with the high blade-stops, and entended guard, even on #3.

Soooo...I ground them down substantially, using diamond plates (320/400/600, finishing with 800 grit wet/dry paper on the counter top). Big improvement, and much closer to the Repeaters, which I very much enjoy!

19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Knack/Slim Twist.

Frijolero likes this.
  20. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Everything that runs off electricity or a battery....are they even classed as razors?...some call them electric razors some electric shavers...they are neither.

Robert.

johnnyflake, brit and Frijolero like this.