Re-Plating Razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by johnnyflake, Jan 19, 2019.

1. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I have heard it mentioned, several times, about having an older, vintage razor re-plated. Can someone please fill me in on that process? Where do you go for that service? what are the cost factors, that drive the prices? For those of you, who have done it, to what I will assume, were one or more, of your favorite razors, in the end, is worth having it done?

I now have acquired a couple of vintage razors, that I simply like and give me good shaves. There are a couple that I would like to have worked on.

RaZorBurn123, BlaydRunner and brit like this.
  2. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    +1
    Razor Emporium

brit, john zeiger and BlaydRunner like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Chris at RazorPlate did my NEW Deluxe about a month ago. The cap was in worse shape than I thought and he was very honest about that when he got it, and also about the work he had to put into it to prep it for plating. Everything he said is accurate, which I can tell by looking at the finished razor. However it is still gorgeous and exactly what I wanted so I'm 100% satisfied I would trust his quality work with any razor that can be replated.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

blah.. keep then as they are. They show all the love from over the years.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

And I chose to reward those decades of service with a shiny new coat of bright nickel! Now it's a family heirloom I'll be happy to pass on, bought for $7 off of ebay. :happy088:

jtspartan, wristwatchb, brit and 4 others like this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BLAH.....

BlaydRunner, gorgo2 and Frijolero like this.
  8. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses and the links.

BlaydRunner and gorgo2 like this.
  9. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Love? I see quite a few razors that show years of callous disregard. A replate would be the first love some of them have ever seen.

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

To each, his own. Or as we say, YMMV. :happy088:

brit and Frijolero like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BLAH.....

BlaydRunner and Frijolero like this.
  12. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Fuzzy is apparently in "BLAH" mood! I understand both sides of the replating issue. I don't mind a little wear on a vintage razor. It gives it character and the been there done that look. Kinda like a broke in pair of boots or jeans.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    preidy, brit, wchnu and 2 others like this.
  13. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

I've been using and collecting razors since 2013.

I replated my top 6 vintage. My modern razors are stainless so no need there. Here are a few pictures of some of them. I'm 25, so they should age with me. received_931850663869870.jpeg FB_IMG_1535251117222.jpg 20180810_150952.jpg

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Fuzzy invented Get Off My Lawn as a lifestyle choice.

15. TADIII

TADIII Active Member

I try not to put the same info into posts on different fora, but here are the replates I have bought or commissioned (and remember):
    Razor Emporium (1), ATT (1), BRW (2), Krona Kruiser (2), OCRazorman (1), RazorPlate (1.5), and Hibco (2) (about half of them in nickel and half of them in Rhodium).
    I have liked everyone of them, although some were sold to make room for others.
    I did make a poorly thought-out decision to have only the handle and lower plate of a D4 Fatboy (the first razor I ever wanted) replated in Rhodium instead of the entire razor. Its original butterfly doors are still in their original nickle (it was a misguided homage to the Gillette President).
    HTH.

Tom

gorgo2, Somnos, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  16. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

2F14C431-CFAA-46C5-8200-360C033DF96D.png F416A5F3-8F18-4AFD-9FBB-91AB9CC83F59.jpeg E1E2955A-01F4-45E0-B826-EF0ED5A966CB.jpeg 6CA13A64-418C-4BCE-A0F5-2B4513DDC47B.jpeg Well I haven’t seen it mentioned here but I have razors that were replated by Chris Spencer at Back Roads Gold...

38+ Sheraton - 24K
    New SC - Long Thin Handle - 24K
    New SC - Common Bar - Rhodium
    New LC - Husky Handle - 24K

Exceptional work and a great guy.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    jtspartan, BigMark83, Rob72 and 8 others like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BULLY!!! Good point!

You just might be right my friend.

wristwatchb, brit, PanChango and 4 others like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have had three of my razors replated. My 46-47 Aristocrat done in gold, my New Improved in rhodium, and my NEW SC in bright nickel. I am happy with each. Sport Shaving did the first two and the NEW SC was done by Krona Cruiser (no longer does replating).

replate.jpg

Tuckaway_07b.jpg

new_plated0a.jpg

kfbrady, wristwatchb, brit and 6 others like this.
  19. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

$7 of ebay is a heck of a deal. Chris does great work. I have plenty of experienced looking razors, but enjoy the few I had redone.

Wow, that New Improved looks much better than when I gave it to you. Nice.

20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It has a happy home too.
    [​IMG]

jtspartan, Somnos, jmudrick and 6 others like this.