New PAA Balm "Mysterium" is a real advancement in balms.

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Tim Spencer, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements...jb20iLCAia2xfY29tcGFueV9pZCI6ICJqMnVYUmIifQ==

The ingredients of this serum make it a fantastic skin protector. You could use it as a finisher/moisturizer after a shave, but might be more effective applied in the evening after washing your face. I ordered it because it has virtually all the ingredients of my best face serum. I think it could add a light dose of Vitamin-C to make it perfect, but IMO, this one is decked out with some great ingredients and when you compare the amount you get vs the tiny face serums sold online (1 oz for $20), then this is a huge bargain at 4 oz for $13.95.

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks for the review Tim @Tim Spencer! Your choices lean toward top notch products. Doesn't have to be high priced to be good quality. With no scents added does it have a flavor?

I probably won't purchase it for myself. I do prefer an alcohol based splash with an interesting scent. Then there's that website interface at PAA - the top banner takes up half of my web browser. If I ever figure out how to minimize that I might view their site with less ire.

3. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Well, I use both a splash then follow it with a hydrating serum 'most' of the time, unless I have a bad shave, then I go with baby powder to keep the skin dry to avoid rash/redness. I've found healing a bad shave works best if the skin is made dry right away after the skin is injured to reduce inflammation, then in the evening apply the moisturizers. However, when the shave is 'good' with minimal irritation, then moisturizers/balms/serums work well to seal/protect.

RyX, john zeiger, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you for that advice Tim! I picked up a pair of bottles of Shulton AS Talcum. Now I have a clue when to use it.
    Shulkton Old Spice AS Talcum.gif

Frijolero likes this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Never knew they had that. :-(.

RyX likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I visited a thrift store that was fixing to shut down. Among the highly discounted items was a Shulton gift box that contained a couple bottles of Old Spice AS, a single mug, and those two bottles. More info about these particular bottles available HERE.

The talc has sat in my shave cabinet until now. Having no understanding of it's use I hadn't felt the need to apply any. If you are a user, be aware of the possible Health Concerns. Not all, but some talc contains a naturally occurring percentage of asbestos. This has been linked to lung cancer if inhaled, and ovarian cancer in women using in the genital area. Baby powders are mostly corn starch these days because of the possibility of future issues.

Frijolero and Paul Turner like this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

My area CVS has a few Clubman talcs....I'll have a close look at the ingredients...thanks.