Factory Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by oscar11, Jan 22, 2019.

1. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to move away from Artisan soaps and go back to some old favorites. No more chasing the dragon for the latest and greatest. If I were to be honest with myself I'd have to say I don't need to go better quality than some old standbys. They do everything for me that I need, shaving and post shave. The list would include Harris Windsor, MWF, TOBS and Tabac. I think that would cover all my bases. I'll use up the rest of the best of my artisans and be moving on.

2. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I feel the same, however, I seem to have what some consider "artisan" but I'm not sure. Could Taconic from SuperSafetyRazor and Stirling still be considered Artisan? They are widely distributed and used by many. Tis a puzzlement for sure

Yehuda D, Redrock, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Luckily I haven't chased that dragon. I do have some Artisan soaps and see myself keeping a puck of Stirling Electric Sheep in stock for the near future.

I also have about two cases of Arko Sticks to work through so I don't really see me buying much of anything for the foreseeable future.

4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

The only artisan soaps that I use on a regular basis are Martin de Candre and Castle Forbes. I’ll occasionally use an artisan soap for the scent, but it’s not a regular thing.

Cheers, Steve

5. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Just remember, today's factory soaps were yesterday's artisan soaps. Today's artisan may soon be tomorrow's factory. As @poppi pointed out, Taconic and Stirling are on their way to be considered factory, and rightly so. They make great stuff. You can even find vendors for Taconic in Makati and Manila Philippines. I for one love seeing a small company reach for the moon, miss, and go straight to the stars.

Anyway, I do see what you are saying. You could do quite well using factory stuff. I have plenty of it. I know other folks have plenty of it. There's a reason why it's a factory soap. It's good stuff and people buy it.

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I need an explanation of the difference between artisan and factory soaps, I had a reply the other day from a comment I made about Bill Neumann&Co. The replier said Bill is a factory soap, but didn't go into what was meant by that.

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm almost in the same boat. I basically know what soaps and creams I like, so I'm using up my "inventory" and narrowing it down to 4 or 5 of my favorites. For me, it would be TOBS cream, Tabac, MdC, Jabonman Eurfros, and Mike's Natural Soaps. That's plenty of variety for me. I'm not concerned about how someone would classify these products. They all seem to be well regarded, so I assume they'll be available for awhile.

Redrock, Keithmax, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

do you like neumann soaps?

Paul Turner likes this.
  9. Paul Turner

All I've had from them is sample aftershaves....would love to try originals or the soaps. Quite intrigued by their descriptions and history. A liittle to $$$$ for me right now, but it's a classic test in budgeting.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

i have ordered the 1907 soap ,will post a review when it arrives. yes pricey but 8 oz..

Frijolero and Paul Turner like this.
  11. Paul Turner

That's the issue that tells me to go for it....the size.

brit likes this.
  12. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I guess I like factory soaps. By that I mean, Van der Hagen, Williams Shave Mug, Barbasol, Colgate Shaving Cream, Gillette shaving creams Gels and Foams. Because almost all of the shaving soaps are a little pricey.

13. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

I do love my artisan soaps, for someone to say they are giving it up... it’s because they’ve been in this game for a long time and it’s been a pleasure. FWIW some artisan soaps perform better than factory made soaps and other factory made soaps perform better Than many artisan shave soaps. If I had to steer away from Artisans I would be able to manage with MDC, Nuavia & Tobs. Although I love the scents from Tobs I feel the performance could be much better. MDC is great performance but mediocre scents. While Nuavia is king IMO lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. brit

brit in a box

to be honest i have paid more for less product on certain well reviewed products.. $3.50 u.s per oz + shipping isn t bad..

Redrock and BigD like this.
  15. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I get it, believe me. I could use only MWF the rest of my life and be happy, but trying a new artisan soap like Silisky and liking it while supporting a new company is a win win. Grooming Department too. I’m going to cut back this year but taking a flyer on a new soap now and then is kind of rewarding. I see your point, however, if you’ve been there done that. And I’ll re-emphasize, MWF is all I really want.

oscar11, PatrickA51, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

if i had only one factory choice it would tabac soap and a good balm and splash..or the proraso wood and spice single edge line of products..

Redrock, oscar11, PatrickA51 and 2 others like this.
  17. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I know it's something I'll never be able to stick with but a least it's a good excuse to buy a puck of MWF. Truthfully at 65 I'll never use all the soaps I have.

18. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Neither will I isn't getting old fun? What you just said is probably what I need to say also. You and I are just about the same age. :angry019:

19. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Well, it's shavin' time again and all this talk of expensive soaps has helped me make my choice for today: Arko.

20. nav

nav Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the "factory" triple milled soaps!

I couldn't give a hoot whether it's made by an artisan in their kitchen or garage or by a sizeable factory.

I have 120 soaps and that's lots of hard milled pucks in there, which I really do love.

I never bought into the performance metrics because it's more about how a soap performs spending on the users preference and technique/method of making lather.

Makes no difference for me as I load every soap 20 seconds and add water as required (more water for the milled soaps).

Don't even get me started on post shave! I find no difference in post shave except that some butter heavy artisan soaps leave me very greasy/oily!

MWF, DRHarris, Speick, LEA Classic puck, TOBS, Valobra, SV, PdP, Arran Aromatics, Bath House, Cade, Muhle/EJ, Scottish Fine Soaps, Fine...all wonderful soaps!!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019