The British Gillette Razor.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brit, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Reproduction

brit likes this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

very nice..

3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I did a side by side shave with the 50s flare tip and 50s rocket. They are pretty evenly matched except the rocket does a noticeably better job under the nose and along the jawline. Didn't matter which side of the face. The 50s flare tip was always a good beginner razor like a tech if you don't want a 3 pc but the flare tip rocket if you can find one cheap enough is certainly an upgrade here. I shaved them like a beginner with no technique, flat angle and 5 passes using the same blade. I would certainly rate the shaves passable even though I can do much better. I can also say for sure the shaves will certainly improve with either as the technique improves. For anyone seriously considering a flare tip rocket expect to pay about double the average going rate for a flare tip super speed. I think the value is there though considering the performance of the razor. There are certainly better razors out there but the 50s flare tip rocket I would say is a good jumping off point if first getting into British Gillettes. It is an easy to obtain razor and if you are patient you can get a really good deal on a user grade piece.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    dmshaver and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i have the 50s flaretip rocket and the 60s flaretip rocket with the smaller head.outstanding shaves with the win going to the small head version.quite efficient..

ajc347 likes this.
  5. taffboy

taffboy New Member

Thanks for posting this found one of these must have been my dads knew it was a Gillett but never knew which one it is a great shave

6. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

7. brit

brit in a box

newly received brit new rfb for the french market.. 20181109_201327.jpg

8. brit

brit in a box

thank you sir, knowing you are an SE guy, thank you again, gary

wchnu likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

i find the brit ones a little heavier..and similar shaves. i like the 55-57 superspeeds but my friend always buys them...i would like to keep one in mint shape with case..

10. brit

brit in a box

20181118_103520.jpg 1950 brit ballend tech first use with this razor, mild ,smooth and shiny...

PatrickA51, jtface and dmshaver like this.
  11. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Hello you lucky devil. That is a very Bakelite nice bathroom set, if that is the correct term. I'd like one of those this coming year. That's really nice. Thanks for sharing your picture. I wonder if there was a Goodwill made in the U.K.

brit likes this.
  12. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

I'm (re)discovering this razor, and I too am very excited!

PatrickA51, dangermouse and brit like this.
  13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Full set of British Super Speeds.
    BSS2.jpg

And how to tell the difference between the British flavours as opposed to the American flavors is by the end caps.
    BSS3.jpg

Left 2 are a British SS and Rocket, the right one is an American SS. Except for the last lower profile head iteration of the Rockets, British Rockets and Super Speeds have pointed ends on the caps, the American Super Speeds all have flat ends.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    PatrickA51, brit and dmshaver like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

very cool sir..

15. brit

brit in a box

british fb new service set. 20190118_230043.jpg

16. dangermouse

Apparently there is a British Goodwill razor and the Empire Set made for the French Market is a Goodwill variant - The hunt begins

brit likes this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

They made 2 English Goodwill variants.
    https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Category:Gillette_Goodwill_Razors

Here is my English Goodwill set, if I had to compare it to a British Gillette they shave similar to a New flat bottom open comb 3pc or an American blue tip super speed. All my razors are for sale at the right price even if I am not selling them at the moment.
    gw1.jpg gw3.jpg

dangermouse and brit like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have a British made Goodwill made for the French market.

IMG_0018.JPG
    goodwill04.jpg 100_3477.JPG 100_3480.JPG 100_3487.JPG

brit likes this.
  19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I should clarify the 2 British Goodwill variants are not the made for British or French markets. They made 2 distinct Goodwill base plates. The ones in the pictures here and a flat bottom version which there is a picture of on that wiki page.

dangermouse and brit like this.
  20. dangermouse

That's interesting. Do you think that's the original case? I might look a little closer when I see one of those :)

brit likes this.