Just a thought.....

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by oscar11, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Yes, I can feel absolutely no stubble. No evidence but my face lol.

If you like, send me a razor and I’ll hone it for you and you can see if you get the same results.

Cheers, Steve

Frijolero and Karl G like this.
  2. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I have razors where I can get as close as I want. I just would never make such as statement because of the wide variety of hair types.

Frijolero likes this.
  3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    JMHO

To chase BBS with a SR is doing it backward, chase a COMFORTABLE shave, it will get closer and closer through experience...

Arnout, SevenEighth, Enrico and 8 others like this.
  4. Chuck Naill

At least this has been my experience. I agree.

Frijolero likes this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011:

Frijolero and Karl G like this.
  6. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Well I did acknowledge in my post that not everyone’s face is the same....

I’m not isolated though, all my friends who are into hones and honing have similar experiences. And Glen’s right if you’re learning. Best quote is Alfredo’s, ‘Sharp is easy, smooth is hard.’

Cheers, Steve

Frijolero, oscar11 and Karl G like this.
  7. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    The original quote is

"Getting an SR sharp is easy, getting it sharp and smooth takes Talent" :)

8. Chuck Naill

It's just shaving. :D

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah. But now, it's fun.

10. Chuck Naill

LOL, yes. :bounce017:

Frijolero and Keithmax like this.
  11. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

That's my definition. Can't ever remember rubbing a baby's butt and feeling stubble:happy068:!

Frijolero, Steve56 and Karl G like this.
  12. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

The definition I am used to is that if rub your fingers with the grain and feel no stubble, that’s a CCS - close comfortable shave, if you rub it across the grain with no stubble feel, that’s a DFS - darn fine shave, and if you can rub your fingers against the grain and still not feel stubble, that’s a BBS - baby butt smooth shave. And then there is the dolphin smooth shave when it’s so unbelievably smooth the dolphin’s are jealous. :happy036:

I won’t even attempt to describe a baby dolphin butt smooth shave. :rofl:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I am a daily shaver and use a straight 90% of the time. I consistently get irritation free shaves with a smoooth face. They key for me is the lather, technique and very sharp edge. I have a tough beard so my goal is a sharp edge when I prepare my razors.

14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Interesting topic. I always do three passes and get bbs results, but lately , I’ve considered just one pass And see how it pans out. Is a sas ( socially acceptable shave) good enough? I would wager back in the day this was the typical routine: wash, lather, wtg , rinse, and call er done.
    I still cannot bring myself to do that, cuz I’m so darn weak :sad023:

Edison Carter, Frijolero and Karl G like this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    +1
    I got a BBS with my DE razors consistently, but now that I am using a SR, I have given up "chasing" the baby. Not worth it. I'll catch that little one eventually without a chase.
    ;)

16. Chuck Naill

I've never touched a dolphin anywhere...LOL!!

Edison Carter, Karl G and Frijolero like this.
  17. Chuck Naill

I am trying to break myself of the habit of touching my face. Never had the addiction before shaving forums...…;)

Edison Carter and Karl G like this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Clearly you havent vacationed in Mexico. :happy097:

Karl G likes this.
  19. Chuck Naill

:D:happy069:

Karl G likes this.
  20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

FWIW, The Lovely Mrs Headroom is still a licensed barber. All though she elected to not pursue this career, I've been getting free haircuts for almost 40 years.

For her board exam she chose to volunteer a very young Max Headroom as the subject of the shaving practical. In the State we lived in the regulations prohibited real straight razors, so shavettes were called upon.

It was not the most comfortable shave I've had, but did pass 'the cotton ball test', where the examiner wanted NO pick up of cotton fiber when dragged across the beard. I'd say it was a little less subjective than SAS, DFS, BBS, BBS Level 1, BBS Level 2, BDS, BDBS, etc....

Pretty good indicator as far as I am concerned. I took up straights last July and have always targeted 'comfortable'. I am pleasantly amazed at how improvements seem perpetual. The really great shave I can obtain in 15 minutes compared to the original time commitment is rewarding too.

Very relaxing for me.